*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532603-Runways-and-Doubts
by samile
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1314442
Follows two WWII nurses on their journey from the United States to war torn Europe.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#532603 added September 3, 2007 at 6:28pm
Restrictions: None
Runways and Doubts
I was absolutely terrified.

Excited, but terrified nonetheless. Despite the fact I had spent the previous six months in training which included hands on simulations and field work, I was reduced to a bundle of nerves as I sat on the cold, hard seat in the dim transport plane waiting to take off for New York where I would board the ship that would take me to Europe and away from everything I had ever known.

There were small windows lining each side of the plane, none lining up well with the seats near them. Craning my neck, I could barely make out the runway in the late evening twilight. In less than a week, I would be in Europe, putting my knowledge to good use as a field nurse treating the sick and wounded.

The roar of the twin engines was near deafening and the vibrations running through the body of the aircraft shook my body, caused my teeth to chatter and made it darn near impossible to think.

I crossed my legs at the ankle and tilted my face to rest against the cool metal of the wall. My eyes slipped shut and I tried hard, so hard, not to think about home.

I arrived in New York in the very early hours of the morning while the mist still hung soft and heavy over the buildings and caused the dim streetlights to glow more than cast any comforting pools of light onto the ground.

Gingerly, I made my way down the rickety staircase pushed against the side of the plane, gripping the rail tightly and trusting neither my weary legs or the ancient stairs to hold up. Stepping onto the ground, I made my way to the rear of the plane where a few enlisted men were unloading the meager luggage of the crew and few passengers present.

Spying my two bags off to the edge, I waited for the slight flurry of activity to die down before stepping forward to grasp my luggage.

“Lieutenant North?” a soft male voice called out from the darkness behind me.

“Yes?” I replied, releasing my bags and turning on my heel.

“Captain Jerse,” he replied, tipping his hat to me. “I’m here to escort you to your quarters for the night.”

“Oh, that’s quite kind of you, sir,” was all my tired brain could come up with. “I wasn’t expecting to be met by anyone.”

He smiled, his kind eyes crinkling with wrinkles.

“Couldn’t very well leave you to fend for yourself at this hour of the night,” was his only reply as he reached out to take my bags.

“That’s not necessary, sir, I can manage-”

“Nonesense,” he said with a wave of his hand, turning and beginning to walk toward the barracks at the edge of the airstrip.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

No more words were exchanged on the short walk to the billets. Holding the door open for me, I entered the dimly lit receiving area, startling a young Sergeant on CQ duty in the process. Spying two officers in his presence, he quickly rise to his feet.

“Good evening, sir, ma’am,” he said, standing at attention.

“As you were,” Captain Jerse said. “The Lieutenant here needs quarters for the night.”

“Yes, of course, sir. Should I put her with the others that arrived earlier?”

“That will be fine,” he replied, and sat my luggage down at the edge of the desk.

“You will be alright, then?” he asked me.

“Yes, sir. Thank you for your assistance.”

“Glad to be of service.”

Then, with a quick nod of his head, he turned and headed back out into the night, leaving me alone with the Sergeant who barely looked out of his teens.

“Right this way, ma’am,” he said, taking my bags and leading me down a dark hallway to the left.“It’s nothing fancy, ma’am, but take any bunk you please. There are several nurses here already, so pardon the lack of light.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” I replied honestly, too tired to care.

“If you won’t be needing anything, I’ll leave you to your rest, ma‘am” the Sergeant said.

“Yes, I’ll be fine. Thank you.”

“Good night, ma’am,” he said softly, allowing the wooden door to the bay to fall closed as he left.

I stood where I was for a moment or two, allowing my eyes to adjust to the lack of light in the room.

On the opposite wall, orange light from a lamp outside streamed in, casting just enough light to be able to arrange my bags near a vacant bunk.

Sitting on the edge of the hard mattress, I removed my shoes and slid them underneath the bunk. Unbuttoning my woolen jacket, I allowed it to fall onto the blanket beneath me. Reaching into the outer pocket of my bag, I removed my nightclothes and changed as quickly as I could before crawling into the bed and falling fast asleep.

~samile~
© Copyright 2007 samile (UN: samile at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
samile has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532603-Runways-and-Doubts