*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534003-Watching-Learning-and-Listening
by samile
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1314442
Follows two WWII nurses on their journey from the United States to war torn Europe.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#534003 added September 9, 2007 at 4:07pm
Restrictions: None
Watching, Learning and Listening
Waiting, Learning and Listening

I swung my legs out and over the side of the Jeep, landing on the damp road below. In front of me, Laura did the same, being careful to avoid the mud puddles scattered here and there. Retrieving my bags from the back, I made my way up the narrow flower and grass lined path to the front of the cottage as the Sergeant started the Jeep back up and pulled away, continuing down the road. The front door was propped open with a small stone, and, peering inside, I knocked hesitantly on the door frame and waited for an answer. Within moments, a kind looking middle-aged women appeared, drying her hands on a bright white cloth.

“May I help you?” she asked in a heavy British accent.

“Perhaps,” was my reply. “We were brought here by a Sergeant, we just arrived-”

“Oh, you  two must be my newest nurses,” she exclaimed, clearly pleased. “I apologize, I should have realized who you were sooner, but it has been quite hectic around here as of late to say the least. Come in, come in,” she urged, standing inside the doorway to allow us room to pass.

“I’m Mae North,” I said, introducing myself.

“And I am Laura Smith,” Laura chimed in, having been silent up until that point.

“Delighted to meet you both. I’m Joan Nellis and you’ll be staying with me while you are in town.”

“And we are pleased to meet you,” Laura replied.

“If you like, you girls can put your belongings in the upstairs bedroom. Accommodations are a bit tight, unfortunately, so I hope you two don’t mind sharing a room. You’ll find several other nurses quartered here already, as well as at several other homes in the town.”

“No, that won’t be a problem at all, Mrs. Nellis. We’re grateful for your hospitality.”

“Good. I’m just glad I can do my small part to help out with the war effort. If you care to join me, I’ll be in the parlor when you girls come back downstairs and I can fill you in on what is going on ‘round here.”

“We look forward to that,” Laura replied, making her way to the narrow staircase leading upstairs.

Mrs. Nellis’ house was quite charming, and the more I saw of it, the more I fell in love with it. Everything was so neat and tidy and perfect, it looked like something out of the pictures. Every detail from the lace curtains to the quilted bedspreads to the tiny lamps on the nightstands was immaculate and very homey. I placed my bags neatly at the foot of the bed closest to the door, being careful not to disturb anything in the quaint little room.

“Wow. Look at this place,” Laura said gazing across the room. “Quite lovely.”

“I know, it is, isn’t it?” I replied, absentmindedly brushing a bit of lint off my skirt with my hand. “Come on, let’s head back downstairs.”

“Alright,” came the reluctant reply from Laura who was bust admiring the curtains swaying in the breeze.

The smell of baking bread greeted us as we moved down the stairs and deeper into the house, heading for the parlor. We found Mrs. Nellis sitting in wooden rocker by a corner window, working intently on a bit of sewing in her hands.

“Do come on in, girls. I trust the room will be alright?”

“It’s more than alright, ma’am, it’s perfect.”

“Good,” she beamed, clearly pleased with our praise. “Do sit down then and have a cup of tea.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” I replied, as Laura and I headed for two of the chairs scattered about the room.

“Oh, do stop with the ma’am nonsense. You two are guests here, I would be delighted for you to call me Joan,” she insisted as she placed her needlework on the table top and began to pour tea. In a matter of moments, we were settled in our seats sipping what may have been some of the best tea I had ever tasted.

“This tea is excellent, Joan, just excellent.”

Our hostess smiled and placed her teacup on its saucer. “That’s because you Yanks don’t get the good stuff over in the States.”

“You’re probably right about that,” Laura added, raising her own cup to her lips.

The next several minutes were spent in companionable silence, sipping tea and rocking quietly. Finally, Mrs. Nellis broke the silence and, placing her cup and saucer to the side, leaned back in her chair to look at us.

“I am sure you girls are interested in what you’ll be doing while you’re here, and as I’ve been asked to inform you, I’ll try my best to do just that. The American’s have set up camp in and around the town, you will be working with them for the most part. As I mentioned earlier, there are two other girls staying here who are nurses but have been here for over a month. I’m afraid I know very little about the Yanks’ military structure, but I believe you will each be assigned to a company where you will assist the doctors and medics in their duties.” Joan paused for a moment and delicately cleared her throat. “The other girls should be here this evening and I’m sure they’ll be able to help with questions you may have.”

I allowed this information to settle in my mind, feeling a mild rush of excitement at finally getting a chance to do something useful after so many weeks of idleness.

“Thank you, that does help clear things up a bit,” I said with a small smile.

“Glad to be of service. But, like I said, the other girls are the ones who will be better able to tell you what to expect.”

“We will be sure to ask them when they return,” Laura said, shifting in her chair.

“You have been most kind, Joan, but I can’t help but feel as if we have barged in on you. Is there anything we can do to help out while we are here?” I began to cross my legs at the knee without thinking but then saw Mrs. Nellis’ gentle, refined manners and hastily moved to cross them at the ankles.

“My dears, you are guests here. I won’t say no to a little extra help, but for the most part I manage fine on my own. I will let you know if you can be of assistance, though.”

“Yes, you must be sure to do that,” I urged her. “I don’t feel right being a guest and not helping out.”

Joan merely smiled and began threading another needle. Outside, the trees rusted in the wind and the sweet smell of flowers drifted through in open window.

“Why don’t you girls go on and unpack, get yourselves and your belongings settled in. I believe I’ve placed some things you will need in your room, but if there is something you’re missing, please let me know.”

I rose and placed my teacup back on the tray.

“That sounds like a fine idea, I believe we’ll do just that,” Laura responded as she also stood.

Heading out of the room, we passed by the open front door once more. Glancing out onto the street, I saw a group of soldiers marching my in formation and heavy trucks loaded with supplies rumbling past. The clouds had dissipated somewhat and a bit of sunlight peeked through here and there. Overhead, birds chirped and swooped into the treetops. Turning my head, I followed Laura up the steps filled with a new energy.


~samile~
© Copyright 2007 samile (UN: samile at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
samile has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534003-Watching-Learning-and-Listening