*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534964-Conundrum-redux
Rated: XGC · Book · Experience · #1034564
A new journal for a new beginning
#534964 added September 13, 2007 at 6:38pm
Restrictions: None
Conundrum redux...
Okay, I had my interview with the clinical lab today. Turns out the position does interest me. The scopes are very ergonomic and the staff seems friendly. I was my usual charming self.

Basically, they culture human tissue so they can extract chromosomes to determine genetic abnormalities. This has applications in cancer diagnosis and detection of birth defects prenatally, among other things. They are also willing to train me and expecting a learning curve between 6 months to 2 years. Basically, I was told if I don't plan to stay for two years, I shouldn't take the position. Fair enough.

Now everything's turned on its head. I didn't think clinical labs were open to me without certification. Turns out, with this particular discipline, a technologist is expected to work about a year before being certified. I think I've had it wrong all along.

Taking this position would involve shelving my dream of getting back into the environmental field, possibly for good. I would also keep me from living like a pauper for the next two years. I feel bad, but I'd have to pull my name out of the hat for vivarium position. I hope the viv supervisor isn't too disappointed. She seemed really jazzed that I was on the market, but why would I give up a great opportunity to work for just over half of my former salary. There's been a little voice in the back of my mind questioning the practicality of that course of action for the last two weeks. It would have been emotionally based, but, then again, isn't this clinical position also?

I don't want to make another bad decision! What am I going to do?!

© Copyright 2007 Artemismad (UN: artemismad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Artemismad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534964-Conundrum-redux