*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538579-In-The-Rdoni-Forest
by twin1
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1325520
It's a magical story full of adventure friendship love and new worlds.
#538579 added November 10, 2007 at 12:43pm
Restrictions: None
In The Rdoni Forest
         Gabby was surprised to find her father slowly trudging through the door.  She thought that he looked like he had been crying, but she didn’t know for sure because his whole body was soaked with salty water. When he told her what had happened and that Alea was gone, they both cried uncontrollably.

         Now, with no reason to be going to Dumond, the ship was headed back home.  They finally reached the loading docks of Philmar after seven more long, dreadful days.  King Avin walked the hopeless Gabby from her room where she had imprisoned her self.

         She looked pitiful.  Her hair was a knotted mess, she was still in the same robe that she had been wearing the day of the tragedy, and her tear-stained face showed true sorrow and weeping.  When she reached the castle, she felt a little better at being home and finally out of the swaying ship.

         Gabby walked through the castle door and reached the room she had once shared with Alea.  She saw her self surrounded by all of Alea’s prized possessions, proving her sister's existence, and couldn't bear it.  She ran out of the room.

         Her flashing feet carried her through a long, dark hallway where she collapsed.  She held in all the tears, her head tucked in her lap.  A feeling came over her that she couldn't explain - a piece of hope that Alea was still alive.  She knew in her heart that there was no doubt Alea had survived.  It was as if she had a connection with Alea through the closeness and love that they shared; peace came over her.

         Feeling much better, Gabby looked up and was startled by a huge, eerie statue of a specter that she had always despised.  Staring at it, she remembered the time Alea had saved her life when they were eleven.

         They had wandered out by the Ar'edon Sea, where Alea quickly jumped into the water.  As usual, Gabby sat upon the massive rocks.  She looked out towards the Rdoni Forest and noticed a white, fluffy cat with big emerald eyes.

         Like any kid, she wanted to catch it.  When trying to call it over failed, she tiptoed to where it was and managed to pet its back as it hunched up, purring sweetly.  After a few seconds, it looked up at her with big, enchanting eyes and slowly crept away, still looking back at Gabby as if wanting her to follow.

         When Gabby got the hint, she followed it to a small cave nearby, where it scampered in.  She hoped that there were kittens inside, and crawled into the dark cave.  As she crept a little farther, she realized the light from the opening was slowly disappearing.  She noticed Alea in the opening, pushing with all her might at the massive rock that was trying to cover the entrance.  Gabby quickly crawled back out, and just in time, as the rock smashed over the face of the cave.

         Deep, vile laughter echoed from the cave and a voice mocked them.  "And to think I almost had your frriennnd here trapped forrevver.  If you had known I was a specter, you could have asked me anything.  As all specters have to, I would have given you the precise answer, but you didn't ask - thiss timmme."  More laughter oozed, but soon faded away.

         Evil spirits, specters could transform into anything they pleased.  Their only wish was to send a person tragically to their death.  Gabby would never forget that day;  by fighting to keep the rock up, Alea had save Gabby's life.


         Gabby stood up from the floor.  In her head, she knew how to find Alea.  She also knew that it would take some preparation.

         That night, she snuck into the kitchen and took a loaf of soft bread and a jar of sweet honey.  As she walked back toward her room, she heard someone coming.  There was no place to hide in the hallway, so she kept moving, though she picked up the pace.

         She saw her dad coming her way, talking to a noble knight.  While trying to figure out where to hide the bread and honey, she noticed her dad wouldn't even look at her!  She guessed it was because she reminded him of Alea.  It was then that Gabby wanted to tell her father her whole plan.  She knew better, but she thought it might comfort him if she could let him know that Alea was still alive and that there was hope after all.

         When she got to her room, she grabbed a medium-sized, leather strap bag from a painted hook on her wall .  She had wrapped the loaf of bread in fine cloth, and now she put the loaf and the jar of honey in the bag.  She also placed a small, warm blanket inside for cold nights.

         With that done, she pulled out a box with large jewels on it from under her bed and opened it.  A black and aqua cotton robe was folded inside that hung just above her ankle and a matching, hooded cloak.  She hung both of them over her desk chair, ready for the morning.  From another box she took out a pair of knee-high, black, leather boots, which she also placed by the chair.

         She sat down in the polyester chair, opened a drawer in the desk, and lifted up the bottom to reveal an old, ragged cloth with something neatly wrapped in it.  Inside the cloth, like a mummy being unraveled, was a beautiful dagger, jeweled much like the necklace Alea once had.  Her mother had given the dagger to her and the necklace to Alea before she had passed.  Gabby admired the dagger for quite some time before also placing it in the leather bag.

         Reaching for quill and parchment, she wrote:

         Dear Father,

         By the time you receive this note I will be far away, wandering through the Rdoni Forest to ask a specter where Alea is. I know you're probably wondering why would I want to go through that dark place.

         Well, father, I just want you to know Alea is still alive.  I have this strong feeling, like I have a connection with her and there is still hope.  So before you think I'm crazy, just remember how you would tell us stories of when we were toddlers.  You'd say that if Alea were to ever bump her head or get hurt, I would grab my head.  It was as if I felt everything she felt.

         It's like that; I know in my heart Alea is still alive.  I promise you I will be home again soon.  Don't send anyone after me, just trust me, and soon Alea and I will be home!  Don't worry, father.  Goodbye for now.  I love you!

                                                                      Love,
                                                           Your Princess Gabriella


         With a satisfied smile, Gabby folded the letter and got into bed, closing her eyes in the hopes of finding sleep.

****


         Gabby woke up while the sky was still dark, full of anticipation.  This would be the best time to leave; the maids would still be asleep.  She threw the covers off and jumped out of bed, hurrying to change into the cotton robe and cloak she had set aside the night before.

         Yanking on the leather boots, she buckled them so tight that if she had been able to see her feet they probably would have been purple.  She tucked the dagger from the bag in her boot for safekeeping.  Placing the letter on her bed so that it could easily be seen, she picked up the leather bag, lifting the strap over her head so that the strap gripped across her right shoulder and the bag dangled at her left side.  She looked around the room for the last time, whispering farewells, before softly closing the door behind her.

         She tiptoed down the long hallway, passing all the many rooms, until she reached a majestic, marble statue of a knight.  Gabby slouched behind it and uncovered a hidden trapdoor in the floor.  She slipped down into the dark tunnel, quietly closing the panel above her, then crawled across a dirt floor.  It seemed to take an hour, but she finally came to another door that led to the backyard of the castle.

         In the distance, the horse stable came into view, which was exactly where Gabby was headed.  She ran across the yard and to the stable, then opened the gate.  Two rows of stalls extended down the inside length; fine saddles and reins hung upon the walls.

         She walked to the last stall on the end where her dapple-gray mare stood.  "Hey, Oissa.  We're going on a long ride," she whispered.

         Gabby saddled her mare and out the huge gate she raced, down the hills as the sun began to shine on the new day.  They passed by all the farms and fields in a blur.  As they reached the entrance of the Rdoni Forest, Oissa reared up in fear, sensing evil in the  vile place.

         Gabby stroked her mane to comfort the horse.  It was then she had to make a decision.  She could go back home and sleep in safety and comfort or she could go into the forest where people had gone and never returned.  Without anymore thought, she quickly tapped Oissa's side, urging her forward into the brush and trees.

         As they trotted deeper into the forest, Gabby noticed how the light changed from the sunny open space to dark mist.  Towering trees, with roots sticking up every other place, surrounded them.  Oissa's hooves sunk lightly into muddy swamp grass. 

         She couldn't help but notice the eerie growls and whispers in the dark around them.  Leaves rustled, twigs cracked and Gabby could feel melting stares from within the trees.  They kept going straight ahead, though, towards the middle of the woods.

         The forest was so wide that it would take a while to find the river.  Time passed by very slowly.  Gabby realized it was already night when the woods became solid black.  They had yet to reach to river.  Determined to find it, she kept going as Oissa stumbled over and over again across tangled roots. 

         After a long day and night, she heard water running in the distance.  She passed a large tree and there it was, glowing in the dark fog.  It was the Rdoni River, rushing hard over huge rocks.  Oissa picked up her pace and trotted to the river to quench her thirst.  Gabby slowly climbed down from the saddle, weak and also very thirsty.

         When they both had all the water they could take, Gabby climbed up on the rocks.  She noticed a bunch of massive boulders stacked upon each other, creating a small shelter.  She realized it was the perfect place to rest; she could finally get a bit of sleep.  Helping Oissa over the rocks to her special spot, Gabby pecked at the loaf of bread, drizzled it with sweet honey, and gulped it down.  Quickly afterwards, they both fell asleep.

         It seemed like only seconds later when Gabby was awakened by Oissa pacing around, uneasy.  From all directions, fierce howls echoed through the trees.  Gabby didn't know what else to do; she grabbed the leather bag and threw herself on Oissa's bare back, galloping away as fast as the horse could go.

         From out of the dark, a vicious wolf jumped out of the brush in front of them.  It growled at them, baring sharp, brutal teeth as foam dripped from its snapping jaws.  Oissa reared, hooves lashing, then landed and raced in the other direction, only to find more and more wolves surrounding them.  One of them leaped up on the horse's mane, nipping at her face, and the others followed.  Gabby pulled out the dagger just in time to slash at a wolf snapping at her feet.  The slash to its face only angered the creature more.

         Again the horse reared up, four furious beasts clamped to her flesh.  Gabby fell to the muddy floor.  Terrified, Oissa galloped away, all of the wolves but one nipping at her heels.

         Gabby, recovered from the blow of the fall, pulled herself up.  The leather bag had fallen with her and she stepped forward to grab it.  The single wolf slouched out from the brush before her.  The blood on its muzzle marked it as the one that Gabby had slashed with the dagger.

         Though she trembled inside, Gabby stood tall, griping the dagger with all her might.  She faced the aggressive beast with a brave front while it snarled in a bloody grimace.  It lunged at her, ripping some flesh from her upper arm, then pounced on top of her.  The dagger tore through its shoulder; it growled with pain and anger. 

         A loud roar echoed through the forest and the wolf yelped in fear.  It snarled once more then awkwardly jumped away, hindered by the wound she had caused to its shoulder. 

         Still in  shock, Gabby climbed up a tall tree where she felt safe, her bag hanging from her neck.  She rested in its grasping branches, wondering what could possibly have made the roar and scared away the possessed wolf.

         As night passed to day, Gabby still found herself trying to sleep.  She was too scared to even move and all alone, wondering where Alea was.  She tried to get comfortable and felt a stinging on her arm.  When she gently touched the area, her hand filled with blood.  She tore a strip from the blanket she had stashed in the bag and wrapped it around the cut.  Afterwards, she dozed off once or twice and then decided she couldn't stay in the tree forever.  She was going to have to walk by foot, following the river like she had planned.

         She climbed down the tree and made her way back to the river for some water.  After satisfying her thirst, she cleaned her bloody dagger and her arm.  The wound was deep and never seemed to stop bleeding.

{indent]On her own, Gabby set out along the riverside.  She walked mile after mile, resting every now and then in a safe looking place.  She thought she would go crazy - all alone in the possessive dark - but she just kept thinking of Alea and hope settled back in her.

         After a few more days of moving through the same dark place, a change came to the forest.  It was not a good one.  Winds began to blow at the towering trees and hard rain fell upon the ground.  Thunder rumbled with the wind.  Finally, there was light as streaks of lightning cracked through the sky.  Gabby was drenched in water and the newly muddied ground slowed her.  She began to search for a shelter, already shivering with cold.
         
         A little ways from the river, she found a huge, rocky cave that would keep her comfortable in the storm.  She wanted to feel warm again, so she used rocks, scraping them against the cave wall to create sparks, on branches she collected from around the cave.  Soon, a small fire spurted from the opening; rain still poured outside.

         When Gabby turned around, the fire had lit up most of the cave.  She found herself surrounded by gold treasures, ancient statues, colorful sparkling jewels, chests, and everything else one could imagine. 

         As her eyes wandered over the fantastic treasure, she saw a familiar necklace, sparkling on the dirt floor.  She lifted it up with dismay, recognizing it as Alea's.  Excited then, she searched the cave, hoping that her sister was there.

         She ran deeper into the cave; the stench of rotting flesh floated through the air.  Gabby realized why as she saw that the tunnel she just entered was filled with decaying bones.  Thinking that perhaps she shouldn't be there, she turned to leave, only to trip over a pile of armor strewn across the floor.  To her horror, she found herself landing in front of a sleeping, dark figure.

         As she narrowed her eyes to see what it was, her heart sank in her chest.  The word "dragon" cluttered her mind.  The dragon wasn't an adult, but a devouring, fierce youth.

         She jumped up as quietly as possible, hoping not to wake the dragon, then tiptoed out of the tunnel.  Stepping over a chest, she accidentally knocked over a vase filled with loud coins.  The coins dropped to the floor and Gabby froze in shock, glancing over her shoulder to make sure that the dragon hadn't awakened.  It was gone.

         She raced toward the entrance.  She was so far into the tunnel that the opening looked like a small, glowing candle.  Hot breathe overwhelmed her back and Gabby squeaked in surprise.  She turned around slowly and found herself face to face with the fierce dragon.

          Piercing yellow eyes stared at her from a large, webbed head.  Behind its broad shoulders, black, rigid wings flared and maroon and black scales gleamed with the dancing of the fire.

         Gabby stepped back, tripping over treasures as its jaw of sharp teeth just missed her head.  She rolled on the floor, jumping up behind a huge oak wardrobe.  The beast sniffed the air with anticipation and trudged towards the dresser, then peeked its head around it. 

         In desperation, Gabby ran the opposite way from the dragon.  She found herself only a few feet from the wardrobe in a dead end.  The dragon came at her, growling in a satisfied tone.  Rolling around on the wall, she managed to dodge its claws and jaws.  The dragon flared up in anger, knocking everything around.  Its claws closed around her  and Gabby, laying clutched in its grasp,  thought it was all over.

         The dragon slapped its huge, powerful tail into the dresser, causing a bunch of long, heavy swords to crash to the floor.  One of the swords was hit with such a powerful force that it was sent flying through the air.  At the precise moment that the dragon had its forearm raised up high to eat her, the sword pierced it through its armpit and all the way to its heart, killing it instantly.  Its arm fell, and Gabby with it.

         She woke to find the dragon unmoving.  Wet blood covered her and she thought for sure that she was dead, that the dragon had slit her to pieces.  She caught sight of the sword still sticking from its armpit and was happy to be alive.  After recovering from the shock of the dragon, she went back and picked up Alea's necklace, wondering how it had gotten there.

         She washed her robe and cloak in the rain, which was still pouring down, then dried them by the fire.  She soon rested by the dancing flames, nipping at some bread soaked in sweet honey.  She wondered how she had escaped such a fierce pack of wolves and then a dragon.  Why couldn't I just have found a specter, instead?

         As she lay there on the dirt floor, fixing to go to sleep, she admired Alea's necklace.  She hooked it around her neck, then opened the locket.  The sweet lullaby echoed through the cave and she soon fell fast asleep.

         She awoke the next morning with the sun's rays barely reaching through the treetops.  The forest was dark, but Gabby was happy that it had finally stopped raining.  After cramming tons of gold and beautiful jewels for Alea into her bag, she put on her cloak and robe, now dry from the fire.  She prepared for another day in the forest, and then  walked back to the river; the water flowed heavily across the rocks from the storm of the night before.

         Gabby cupped her hands and satisfied herself with many gulps of water.  Figuring that she would reach the ocean by foot if she followed the river, she continued on her previous path.  She hoped to run into a specter on the way, either some time that night or sooner.

         She had walked for what seemed like hours, and her legs ached terribly.  Her feet were covered in mud, and she felt like she couldn't go on anymore.  She sat on the ground, wanting to give up, and stared at the river.  She was amazed to find Oissa sipping happily at the water a little further down the bank. 

         Gabby ran up to her and stroked her mane.  "Why didn't you go back home to the stable?" she whispered, unable to believe her luck.  "That's strange.  Oh, well.  I'm just happy you're here."

         She jumped on Oissa's back and they started forward, but Oissa sped up, getting faster and faster until everything was a blur.  No matter how hard Gabby tried to stop her, Oissa wouldn't slow down.  As she struggled with her mount, she saw that there were no scars or scrapes on her back and that she appeared to be hovering off the ground.

         Realizing that Oissa was actually a specter, she held on to the horse's neck and screamed, "You're a specter!  You owe me a question!  You owe me!" 
                   
         Nothing happened.  Gabby was bewildered, but soon realized how it planned to kill her.  They burst from the dark woods; the sun shown upon her face and her eyes tried to adjust.  Ahead of her was a steep cliff.  Right before the specter raced over the edge, Gabby jumped off its back without thinking and rolled onto the grassy hills.

         A cloud of black dust rose from below the cliff, shaped like a shadowy man.  A deep voice filled the air, grumbling and evil.  "So whaatt is youuur question?"

         Gabby pushed herself up, facing the specter as bravely as she had the wolves.  "My question is this," she yelled.  "If my sister is still alive, where is she?"

         The cloud twisted and built up, blowing a strong wind at Gabby.  The voice exclaimed, "YOUR OTHER BLOOD IS IN THE OCEAN.  JUST ASK THOSE WHO LIVE IN IT.  SHE IS INDEED ALIVE, BUT IN A WAY SHE IS NOT."  As the words faded, the cloud burst into flames and disappeared.
         
         Everything the specter had said was jammed in her head, never to be forgotten.  Especially the part about Alea being alive, but Gabby had known it all along.  She looked around happily; the ocean breeze was upon her face and the sun warmed her back.

         After being in such a dark place for so long, she looked at the land and sea in a different way.  She respected it more and saw all its natural beauty.  Everything was part of an elegant painting.
         
         She was surrounded by grassy hills of heather and as she looked off over the cliff  she noticed misty rocks being grasped by the waves over and over again.  She collapsed in the green grass, taking in the glorious day.  She plotted what she was going to do next, knowing just where to find the mermaids, but her thoughts swiftly changed to the bread in her bag.  After a short snack, she lay back down, falling asleep as the sun slowly sank.
© Copyright 2007 twin1 (UN: heathertwin1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
twin1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538579-In-The-Rdoni-Forest