*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/540840-Chapter-2
by ToddPh
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1331039
A fantasy story about elves and magic in our modern world.
#540840 added October 10, 2007 at 6:23pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Chapter Two

The winter passed, and for Kat and me, the time seemed to fly. There were a lot of great times for us. There were bad ones too, I won't try to say that there weren't. For several weeks after that night, I dreamed of the wolf. I think that Kat dreamed also, though she would never admit that they were anything but normal dreams. Every time I would press her, she'd simply smile and say that she couldn't remember them when she awoke. But there was always a shadow to her smile when she said this.
I think that she was lying to me. I believe that she dreamed as often as I did, but that she didn't want to let it get in the way of our growing love. For the most part, I respected that.
For myself, there were many hours spent staring out of the window toward the mountains. I'd reached the conclusion that whatever was waiting for me was out there. Probably in that valley I'd found last fall. I had told Kat that I wouldn't leave her, but now I wondered. If I didn't do something about these dreams, my sanity would be leaving me. I had another month until the snow would clear enough to get into that area. I hoped that would be enough time to sort things out.
My sensei and I had spent long hours talking about what had happened that day in the dojo. He was just about the closest friend I'd ever had, so I'd told him about the dreams. Since most martial arts are steeped in Zen Buddhism, reincarnation is not that strange a topic to run across. We both accepted the possibility that I really had been a samurai in a past life. It explained a great many things about my affinity for martial arts, and other points of Japanese culture.
Martin ultimately told me about the sword. We went over the tape again, and I could see that either someone had done a hell of a good splicing job, or that sword did in fact, just appear in my hand. That explained why I hadn't noticed that the times I had watched the tape. He told me that he had kept the sword to have it authenticated. It checked out as being approximately four hundred years old, and remarkably well preserved he said. In other words, it looked new.
In my dream, I'd been told that the sword of the land must rise again to defend the land. I wondered if this was the 'sword of the land.’ That seemed too pat an answer for me. It was more likely that the sword of the land would be found along the way as the quest progressed.
Quest? What quest?
I took that as one more sign of my failing sanity. I kept having thoughts like that. They'd just pop into my head and roll around like they belonged there. Then I would examine them closer and find that they were a little (a lot) wierd.
Anyway. Sensei told me that there had been one or two students watching me on that day. He had cautioned them not to speak of it to any media representatives, saying that what I had achieved was very unusual and very personal. They agreed, not wanting to dispute their teacher, and not really knowing what they had seen.
Now, our students are for the most part, really good kids. They are respectful of others, and follow our traditions to the best of their ability. But one of them must have said something to someone. Early in March, two men came around to the dojo. They were asking a lot of questions, mostly about me.
A couple of my students had told me about them. They seemed to think that these men were from a news magazine, or perhaps even from Karate Illustrated. While I had no wish to become part of the media circus, I was curious about just who these guys were. I made it a point to be in the dojo when they came the next time, though I asked that no one give me away. I wanted to watch them for a while and form my own opinion of their motives before being introduced.
So it was, that on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in the third week of March, I was watching from the small training room just off the main room. The two men in question were standing to one side of the floor talking to Sensei Martin. One of the junior black belts was leading the class in warm-ups.
They were of a height, both about six-four. Very slender, and good looking men, one with dark hair, the other a pale blond. From the expensive suits, to short hair and polished shoes, they were quite corporate in appearance. They seemed very amicable, they smiled often, with real humor. Yet I noticed that Sensei appeared to be ill at ease. I knew the feeling without understanding it.
The moment I saw these two, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck begin to crawl. They looked like nice guys, very normal. But something about them made me want to either run or attack. Consequently, I hung back in the shadows as much as possible.
I had been running through some very basic exercises, trying to hear as mush as I could of what they were saying. But I really couldn't hear much, just watch their faces. After about ten minutes of this, I got restless. I walked over to my bag where it lay against the wall. I figured that if I wanted to center myself, there was one way.
Kneeling, I withdrew a long bundle of cloth from my equipment bag. I pulled the ties that kept it in place, and removed the cloth to reveal the sword that had begun this strangeness.
I returned to the start position across the room. I bowed to the imaginary audience opposite me, then began the first sword kata I had learned. It was a fairly basic form by the name of kenshin, or "sword-mind". I wasn't trying to perform the kata in perfect form, just get my breathing and focus in line.
It didn't work.
I went back to my original spot, and knelt. I put the sword on the mat in front of me. I took a long, shuddering breath. In, then out again, releasing my tension. I bowed my head to the mat in honor to the others who had walked the Way before me. After holding that position for a full breath, I sat up again. Now it was time for the Zen breathing exercises.
Slowly drawing the air in through my nose, I visualized it running up across my forehead, over my head, down my neck, along my spine, down to my hara. The hara is the center of the spirit according to Buddhist doctrine. Once there, I felt the poisons of the body gathering into the air to be exhaled forcefully from the mouth.
Again. And again. In. Out. Felt the incoming breath drawing Light into my spirit. The exhaled breath removing the darkness from it. I let all thought of my surroundings slip quietly away. All that mattered in the world, was the flow of breath, the gathering light in my center.
At last I was ready for whatever I wanted to do next.
I prepared myself for the katas of iai-jutsu. Iai-jutsu is a discipline of sword training that teaches the practitioner the lightning fast strike. Most of the katas begin from a low, crouching position. At the instant of release, there is a swift rise, then the strike. After this movement of the sword comes a moment of utter stillness. Then the student taps the blade to remove the blood of the imaginary enemy.
I went through the five or so forms that I knew, then moved to perform the kata that I had accidentally revived. I didn't consciously decide to do it, my body just did it. My mind was completely suppressed, just along for the ride.
For the following fifteen minutes, I was totally lost in the ebb and flow of the kata. The next thing I was aware of, I was kneeling again. The entire group of students was clustered in the doorway. The two strangers were watching also, their faces unreadable masks.
Sensei Martin was kneeling about three feet in front of me, looking both proud, and very annoyed.
"Well, Les," he whispered. "Do you know what you've done? You just removed any doubt in their minds that something unusual is happening here."
"I did the kata?" Martin just sighed. “Oh. Shit.”
"You can't even remember," he said, looking at the ceiling. "Why the hell am I scolding you if you don't even know what you did?"
"Beats me, boss. I just work here." He smiled at that
"Go take a shower. I'll make excuses for you to our 'guests'."
"Hai. Sensei." We bowed to each other, formally. Then he rose, and I followed. On the way across the room, Martin slapped my arm.
"Come by my office on your way out. I have something for you from the Master." I didn't speak, only bowed to him again. He nodded his head in reply, then turned to usher everyone back to the other room.
I carefully stored away the precious blade. I gathered all my gear, turned at the door and bowed to the room. You may think this is a lot of bowing, and you'd be right. The bow at the entrance of the dojo is to leave the concerns of the outside world outside. When you leave the room, you bow to thank the teacher, your fellow students, and the gods for the lessons you have received. And it also helped to leave some of the good feelings in the room to help the person coming along behind you.
I was thinking about this on the way to the shower. I'd been in a lot of places that radiate sanctity. In every dojo I'd visited, I found that same feeling. A place of reverence. A place of the spirit. I've even heard of Christian congregations who welcomed karate schools to use their basements as dojo's because of the aura of peaceful reverence they generate in the building. Of course, the volunteer work the students do in return for the facilities helps, too.
The showers are at the back of the building, and you have to pass along a narrow hallway to get there. About halfway down this hall, there is a window that opens onto the parking area. It's usually open a little to let in fresh air. You wouldn't believe how much heat can be generated by a working karate school.
Anyway, I was walking by this window, when I heard voices in the parking lot. Normally, I wouldn't hardly notice, but these sounded like the two men who had been watching me today. I'd heard the pale one say something that I didn't quite catch. The darker one answered him as I passed.
"...Seems to be mortal, though. I agree that he is exceptional. But he is still just a mortal." I paused to hear the reply.
"Then you feel that he is no concern to us?"
"Oh, we had best watch him, in case we have missed something more subtle. But I feel that he is no threat."
"And that is what you will tell the King?"
"Fool! Do not speak of him here. He will hear soon enough."
There was more, but they passed out of range. I stood there for a minute, puzzling over what I had overheard. Could they have been talking about me? It seemed likely, but what a strange conversation. I shivered like a dog coming out of deep water, and put the matter aside for now. It could wait, but I didn't think that I could wait much longer for that shower.
And I had to hurry before class let out, and the kids got all the hot water.
When I had finished cleaning up, and avoided the onslaught of students into the small locker room, I headed for Martin's office. My mind was full of speculation as to what the Master could have sent for me. It was rather unusual for the master of our style to take a personal interest in the affairs of any one student, especially of one in America. Our main school is in Naha, Okinawa, and it was only in recent years that the style has spread to the United States.
I reached Martin's office, and knocked lightly at the door. When I heard Sensei call for me to come in, I opened the door.
"Ah, Les. Come in and have a seat. But, uh, close the door first." My first thought was that he didn't want the other students to hear my cries of pain when he removed my head for some infraction. I did as he asked, then moved across the small room to the desk.
"What's up, boss?" I said as I took the chair opposite him.
"I just received word from Master Yoshida. I took the liberty of informing him of what you've accomplished..."
"Don't you mean what happened despite my inept skills and focus?" Martin snorted laughter, then continued. I had relaxed, realizing that I wasn't in trouble for anything. At least, not yet.
"No. That was an accomplishment, no two ways about it. Maybe your mind didn't do anything, but your spirit did. Master Yoshida was quite impressed, and even humbled by your experience. Those are his words, too.
"In his eyes, there was only one way to do honor to this feat." Martin took a wooden box from one of his desk drawers. It was about a foot and a half long, and about three inches on a side. The box looked to have been hand made. Its surface gleamed in the light as Martin passed it across the desk to me.
I opened the lid, and nearly dropped it in astonishment. The box contained a scroll and a belt of rank. It was the belt that floored me. The red belt of a master.
"Hey, Martin... Sensei, I... Hell. I don't deserve this, and I can't accept it."
"You have to. It is Master Yoshida's wish that you do. Besides, he told me to give it to you in private in case you felt that way. This way, you don't have to tell anyone about it. No one will challenge you. You have nothing to prove." I had tears in my eyes. Me, famous author, studly martial artist. If I didn't get this over with, I was going to be crying like a baby. This was just too damned unexpected. Too much honor for anything I was ever likely to do to earn it. I knew that I would never wear it with confidence. I felt a complete sense of humility.
Therefore, I would not wear it. Martin was watching me come to grips with the news. Once again, he proved that we were good friends, and that he knew me very well indeed.
"Les. I know that you'll never wear it in the dojo. I couldn't if I were in the same position. Please do accept it, though. Take it home and put it away in a drawer or whatever. Just let us do this to honor you."
"Hai, Sensei," I managed to croak. I sat there in silence for a long while, just holding the box in my lap. I was thinking that of all the honors I could have imagined, this was one that I could never have guessed would come my way.
I finally got myself together enough to leave. The surprise had been a great shock to my system, and now I felt almost drunk on the euphoria that followed. I paused at the door long enough to thank Martin again for his understanding, and for the honor. Little did I know that it would be the last time I would see him alive. Already, the storm had begun.

The next morning, I awoke early. Well, perhaps awoke isn't the right term for it. I couldn't sleep, and decided to get up. It was sometime around four-thirty or five, and the dawn was just beginning to break over the mountains to the east.
I believe that there are few, if any, cities more beautiful in the sunrise than Seattle. The growing light spreads across the cityscape like a mystic blanket, both revealing, and enhancing the beauty. I was sitting in the kitchen area of my home, looking East toward the mountains. I had to position myself in one corner of the window in order to see the mountains clearly, but it was a comfortable place to sit, and I'd spent quite a bit of time in this spot lately.
From here you can see most of the city laid out like gems on a sea of velvet. If you let your eyes wander further, you can catch a glimpse of Bellevue to the East, beyond that lie the foothills and the Cascades themselves. It's a lovely view anytime, but it's magic at sunrise.
It was now Wednesday morning. Yesterday, Martin had informed me of my new rank. Funny, but I still felt the same. I had always thought that masters were wise and confident. Me, I'm still confused. I was feeling like a leaf before the winds of autumn. Do all masters feel this way? If so, why do they let themselves be called master? My life had been changing steadily since that first trip to the hidden valley in the mountains. I hardly seemed to be the same person anymore. It was hard to find a single point of balance in my life anymore.
Thinking of the trip, I suddenly knew just what I needed. I quietly went to my study and got my flute out of its hiding place. On the way back to my place at the kitchen window, I paused to close the bedroom door. Kat was still sleeping. I pulled the door closed so I wouldn't disturb her. At a time of less confusion, I would be envious of her. I couldn't sleep now if I tried, and I had tried.
The dreams were coming to me every night now. Often with such intensity that I would awaken with the bedding all over the room, and Kat screaming at me to wake up. I seemed to need less sleep lately, so I spent a lot of time here in the window, looking toward the mountains, over the sleeping city.
I settled myself again, and assembled my instrument. I ran my fingers silently up and down the full range of keys. This was both to wake up my fingers, and to assure myself that the keys were all in working order. This done, I began to play.
Very softly, so as not to waken Kat. Staying in the lower registers, I could play rather softly yet still gain the resonance that my troubled mind craved.
I think, I don't know, but I think that I played for about an hour. The dawn-light was waxing over the city. The flute was alive, yet mellow in my hands. I didn't even start when Kat slid her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek.
"Mornin'," she mumbled sleepily. "I didn't know that you could play the flute." I put it down, and returned her hug the best I could from my position.
"Yeah. Its something I like to do when I need to settle my mind."
"Like now?" Kat asked. I smiled.
"Like, about a half-hour ago. I feel better now."
"I'm glad," she said. Kat loosened her embrace, and slid around into my lap. She settled there like a child into the hold of a loving parent.
"I didn't mean to wake you," I said after a little time.
"You didn't really. The sound of your flute kinda worked it's way into my dream, I think." I sighed at that. Even Kat was having regular dreams now. Or rather, odd dreams on a regular schedule.
"Anyway, I don't think you should go to the dojo today. Surely Martin will give you a day off after yesterday?" She nuzzled against me, only half trying to be sexy. The rest of her motive, I'm sure, was just to get into a warmer position. It may be Spring, but it's still cold in the mornings. Somewhere out there toward the mountains, there was probably frost on the ground.
"So you think you can offer me something better than going into the dojo, hmmnn?" Kat giggled, then raised her lips to my ear.
"I can think of something," she whispered. Then kissed my ear. Her kisses very quickly persuaded me that I did deserve a day off. I laid the flute on the table, and stood with her in my arms. I carried her into the bedroom, but not to sleep.
The flute remained on the kitchen table. The sunlight on its silver body was the color of roses. Or of blood.
After making a quick call to Sensei Martin, asking him to excuse me for the day, I crawled back in bed with Kat. We cuddled up in each other's arms, and soon fell asleep. Neither one of us had had much sleep of late. For once, there were no dreams.
I awoke some time later. The light was full but past noon. I looked at the clock. Yep. Afternoon. Well, like I said, we needed the sleep. Kat was already up and about. It must have been her sliding out of bed that woke me.
I was telling myself that I should skip class a little more often, when I had a terrible premonition. I knew, somehow that something horrible had happened to Martin. I tried to ignore the feeling. Perhaps, I told myself, it's just left over from a dream. But I didn't dream. Maybe I did and then forgot about it. Maybe it was just guilt for backing out on my first class as a master.
Nuts. I rolled over and grabbed the phone. I dialed the number as fast as I could. It rang once, before the automated voice cut in and told me that the number was out of service. I hung up, and thought that I must have mis-dialed. I tried it again, this time slowly and double checking my dialing as I went. Same thing.
A feeling crept through me then like I've never had. The premonition I'd had must be true. Something had happened to Martin. And to the whole dojo from the sounds of it. I had to go find out. I quickly got out of bed, and started getting dressed. Kat came back into the room upon hearing me.
"Good morning, love." She smiled and tried to give me a kiss. "Or, good afternoon, rather."
"Not now, Kat. Something’s wrong at the dojo, I've got to go," I said as I shrugged past her to the bathroom. If I had looked as I went past, I would have seen a look of terror cross her features, perhaps. After all, she had told me that this time would come. Now, it seemed, it had come. There was an echo of a voice from another time, saying come home. Then it was gone.
"What's wrong, Les?" Kat's voice had a definite quaver to it now.
"Something's wrong at the dojo," I said. “I can’t reach anyone, and I have this terrible feeling about it....” I went on to explain to her all that had happened since I woke, including the feeling I'd had of impending doom. When I finally turned to look at her, I saw that she had settled down considerably. Apparently, now that the crisis had begun, she was determined to face it as best she could. I went to her. Held her for a long minute, then pushed to arm's length to look into her eyes.
"Kat. Katherine Ann Stuart. Promise me something upon our love." She definitely looked frightened now, despite her determination. "Promise me that if you don't hear from me within two hours that you will get out of here. Take what you need and get away. Somehow I feel that this may be because of me, and I don't want them getting to you."
"I..." Kat stopped, then began again. "I think that I'll go visit my girlfriend down in Portland for a few days, then. I'll wait for your call, then if you don't, I'll take what I need and go." Her lip started to quiver, and a single tear coursed from her eye. "This is the end, isn't it? This is what the Lady told me about."
"We don't know that. I do know that something is wrong with the dojo's phone. That may be all that is wrong, but I just don't want to take any chances where you are concerned." I kissed her deeply, and she folded into my arms with a sob.
Finally, we drew apart. I knew that I had to go now, or not at all. I was really deeply tempted to take Kat and run away somewhere. But the voices were back. All those myriad voices that I'd heard when I first saw the painting, were back. They were stronger, though. Through the din, I heard a woman's voice high and clear. She seemed to be saying, 'go, and I will care for the woman' as though calling to me through a strong wind. There were no more choices, now. No way for me to back out on what had to be done. If I only knew ahead of time what it was that had to be done. I was finding out as I went along, and that bothered me. A lot.
Kat let me go with a final squeeze of her hand. As I turned away to gather what I would take with me, I realized that the world seemed to be much colder now. I took my equipment bag from the closet. The sword was still inside. It was the sword that I wanted, some obscure instinct telling me that I might need it. I took the bag just to keep it out of sight as long as I could. It had all of my weapons in it, but I didn't think that there would be any need for them, I just didn't have time to dump them. The box with my new belt was also in there, unnoticed for the moment.
I paused at the door to the condo, and without turning said, "I'll call if there's any way that I can. If you don't hear from me, get moving." Then I was out and moving myself. I didn't look back, because I knew that if I saw her standing there, needing me, there would be no way on this Earth that I could leave her. And I had to go. Had to.
I took the elevator directly to the garage. Got to my car, and unlocked the passenger side. I put the equipment bag on the seat so that it would be close to hand if need be. Then I went around the other side, got in, and started it up. I drove out of the garage without seeing anything suspicious, turned left out onto the street, and began the winding path to the freeway.
I was stopped at a light about three blocks from home, when I saw them. Two guys in a van. The emblem on the side struck a funny chord in my mind. The name was CyberTech. I was too worried about Martin, and about Kat, to think any further on the matter. If I had, I might have noticed that they looked very familiar. One guy was dark, the other pale blond. And they were definitely trying not to stare at me. But, as I said, I was too worried.
I drove on, never realizing that the enemy had already begun to move on me. Never knowing that I was already on the defensive.
I got to the dojo about twenty minutes later. Or, rather, where the dojo used to be. The building was a charred shell. The fire crews had just finished mopping up the blaze that had destroyed the place. There were several police cruisers parked around the scene. The whole was blocked off by those streamers of yellow tape that say 'crime scene' on them.
I really didn't want to talk to the police unless I had to. I don't know why, just a feeling. Instead, I searched the crowd for someone I knew. My gaze fell on the face of Tom Wilson, one of our first degree black belts. He worked as an assistant for Sensei Martin from time to time, and should know what's going on. I moved toward him as unobtrusively as possible.
"Tom. What happened? Where's Martin?" He just looked at me, still in shock from whatever he'd seen. I had to shake him gently to get his attention.
"Oh. Hello Les."
"What happened here, Tom?"
"They say it was a bomb."
"What?"
"That's what the police say. I went on an errand for Sensei, or else I would be in there, too." A terrible chill of foreboding swept over me.
"Tom, listen carefully. Where is Sensei Martin?" Tom lifted his hand and pointed into the charred remains of our dojo.
"He was in there. He's dead." The next thing I knew, There were two policemen holding me back, pushing me away from the building. I had apparently tried to rush in to see for myself. There were tears running down my face, and my breath was coming in great wracking sobs.
Three or four of our students ran up and took me from the police. One of them explained who I was, and that Sensei Martin had been my closest friend. The officers just told them to try and keep me back, and that they understood what I must be feeling. I was surrounded by my students, and all of us were grieving in our own ways for our loss.
Martin. Why did it have to you? You were one of the greatest men I'd ever known. Always kind and gentle, and unfailingly polite. From what the survivors had told me, you were still alive after the blast. They say you stayed behind to try and get as many out as possible. You saved at least ten students, all who survived the fire, before the fire cut off your retreat.
They told me that you searched in vain for another way out. There was none. They tried to get to you. Tried and failed. Their last sight of you was of you kneeling in the position of student, facing the fire. You were utterly calm in the face of your death. They say that you did not even cry out when the flames took you.
Long shall you be remembered, Sensei. You died like a true warrior of the Way. I pray to all the gods to make smooth the passage of your spirit. Farewell, my dear friend. Farewell.
To this day, I do not remember what passed for quite a while after that moment. I suddenly recalled that I had to call Kat and tell her of what had happened. But what to tell her? They say it was a bomb, but there had been no threat. Therefore, whoever had planted it had intended to kill...Who?
There was no way that Martin had any enemies. And who would want to kill a bunch of young students? And anyhow, this was my normal day to...
I was shocked into perfect clarity. It was as though I had plunged into a cold mountain stream, and the cold clear water washed away all my delusions. That bomb had been intended for me. There was no other explanation. And that meant that the dreams had been right all along. I was in terrible danger, and so was anyone who happened to be near me. Oh, Martin. Forgive me my friend! That should have been me in there, and not you.
I scanned the crowd quickly, for it occurred to me that whoever had set the bomb might try again now that it had failed of its target. There. One of the men who had been asking questions about me in the dojo. As I watched, he saw me and pointed me out to the policeman he was talking to. No doubt he was trying to blame me for the destruction.
I faded back into the crowd as quickly as I might without looking guilty. I didn't want to be picked up for questioning on a charge that had nothing to do with me. Of course, it would allow them to make a sitting target of me. If the police took me, they would know exactly where to find me, whoever they were.
I had to run, that's all there was to it. For my life. For the lives of everyone dear to me. I had to run, and pray that Kat had had time to get away before they got there. Please God, let her be safe. Let her be safe.
My first day as a fugitive. Oh, I know that the police only wanted me for questioning. I also know that the more I eluded them, the guiltier I looked. But there was no way I would let them take me if I could avoid it. If they did, I would be a sitting duck for whomever had killed Martin.
The first thing I did, after leaving the dojo and making sure that I wasn't being followed, was to try to call Kat. I got another nasty surprise when I did. I expected either no answer, or for Kat to answer. The phone was answered all right, but not by Kat.
"Hello." The voice was male, and fairly deep. A voice well used to giving orders.
"May I speak to Katherine Stuart, Please."
"Who is this?"
"Les Koenig. Who are you?"
"Do not hang up, Mr. Koenig. This is Lieutenant Matthews, of the Seattle Police. Where are you?"
"Why are you there? Has Katherine been hurt?" There was a pause, then he came back on the line.
"We are here investigating a murder, Mr. Koenig. The victim has not been identified at this time. I repeat, where are you?"
I hung up the phone without answering. I was too devastated to think clearly. Part of me wanted to start howling in agony at the thought that Kat was dead, too. Most of me refused to believe that she was. How foolish I'd been not to have seen the truth sooner. I'd been warned about something like this in all those dreams I'd been having. Why hadn't I acted sooner?
Without Kat, my life meant... what, exactly? If she was dead, (my throat tightened and tears formed) what was point of going on? I hadn’t lost anyone this close since my parents died when I was in college. I wasn’t prepared for the numbing pain that spread outward from my heart.
And yet, she might still be alive. I had to know before I could make any real decision about my future. I told myself that it was time to face facts. What was done, was done. I could not change the fact that Martin was dead. I could do nothing to help Kat, if by same stroke of fortune she was alive, and not the body that had been found in my home.
Please God, let her be alive.
If I was to be of any use to anyone, I had to stay alive. If I were to give any meaning to the deaths that had occurred, then I had to get moving. And keep moving until this game was played out. I got back in my car, and started to drive.
I didn't really have any objective in mind. I just wanted to find someplace safe to lie low for a while. I knew that the Seattle Police were looking for me. Probably the Bellevue cops, too. Kat was going to Portland (if she was alive). But I didn't know anyone there that I could turn to. And if she was alive, I couldn't go anywhere near Kat now.
I found myself sinking into a black despair. Martin had been the one with all the good connections for refuge, not me. Now that he was gone, I had no one that I could turn to for help. No where to go.
Thinking this, I topped a hill on the Eastern edge of Bellevue, and saw the mountains in the distance. Then I knew a place I could go. The place that I had been called to, the place where this began. I could be safe there, if I could only get there. The thought struck me that there was now no safe place in the mortal world for me to go. Then I thought about what a strange way that was to phrase it.
First of all, I had to get some gear together. There was no way that I could get my own. The police stood between me and my equipment. I didn't have much money on me, only about thirty bucks. But I did have some plastic. All I had to do was think of a place to buy what I needed without leaving a neon sign pointing out the direction I was headed.
I remembered a sports shop in a shopping center that would be on my way out of town. It was normally fairly busy, so I could hope to blend in a little.
I made it to the shop without incident, though I almost wished for something to get my mind off of the day's events. I parked a ways from the shop, so that no one would see my car. The shop was just about as busy as I had anticipated. No one paid any attention to me as I entered the store.
I quickly headed for the camping equipment. I picked out everything that I would absolutely need. My boots were in the trunk of the car, luckily for me. I ended up with a light weight pack and sleeping bag, a couple of pots, small gas stove, map, and compass. I debated, then added a large sheath knife. I had planned to go to the grocery store for food, but felt now that it might be pressing my luck too far. I hate freeze-dried food, but it would have to do for now. I could probably look for rabbits or maybe do some fishing to get by.
The clerk at the register was quite pleased with the tally, of that I'm certain. I handed her the card, and she ran it through the imprinter. I got very nervous when she started to pick up the phone to call it in. I didn't know whether or not the police could have it traced, but I was in no mood to find out.
There must be a God, or gods. For just as she started to dial, she made the connection on the name. She put down the phone, and turned back to me.
"Hey. There's an author in this area by this name. You wouldn't happen to be him, would you?" I threw my hands up in the air and heaved a great sigh.
"Now you've done it," I said. She looked guilty for just a second. "You recognized me."
"You really are that Les Koenig?" Her voice was kinda breathless with wonder. "Oh, I've read everything that you've ever written!" I sincerely doubted that was true, but still, I could use it. I put on as much charm as I could.
"Yes. I really am. But you know," I said as I leaned closer. "If you tell anyone who I am, they'll just mob me. Why don't we make it our secret? Hmmnn?"
"Okay. But can I tell my friends?"
"Sure, but let me make a clean get-away first? I'm trying to get out of the city and over to the Olympic Peninsula. I've had enough of people for a while." I sighed again for affect. "You know how it is, I'm in the middle of a new book, and the phone never stops ringing."
The girl nodded sagely, and handed me the receipt. She then wished me a safe, quiet trip, and I was out the door. On my way back to the car, I saw a police cruiser driving slowly through the parking lot. My heart was banging so hard against my rib cage, that I thought it was going to come out and take a walk.
The cops were looking back and forth at the cars. I was sure that they would spot me. How could they miss? Here I was fixed in place by my fear. They would surely see me. Once again, I was saved at the last moment by wild chance. Or was it intervention?
Even as they pulled near my car, and directly across from me, another car came speeding through the parking lot. The car went through a stop sign without slowing much. That was all it took. The police were off in pursuit.
I breathed a silent thank you to whomever, or whatever was looking out for me today. I could swear that I heard a woman say 'you're welcome'. I glanced around to see who was there. No one. Nada. This day was getting stranger by the minute.
Freed from my stasis, I once again moved toward my car. I stored the gear in the trunk, and got behind the wheel. I carefully backed out of the space, and drove to the exit as sedately as my frayed nerves would allow.
I could not believe that it would be this easy. People who would bomb a building, and break into someone's home to do murder, (Kat, where are you? Are you alive or dead?), would never let me go so easy. The farther I got the better I felt, though I decided that I'd better not let down my guard.
Any road. I was on my way. Towards what? Of that I had not the slightest clue. I could only hope that my luck would hold. And that no one else would have to die for me. I made a vow then. A terrible vow. I would find those responsible for the death of Martin, and of Kat, and I would exact a payment of them in blood. Even should the Earth stop revolving around the Sun. Even if the stars should all fade. Even if my life should fail, still would I have vengeance. I would not rest till it was done. My fury would not be sated until my vow was fulfilled. In my heart I cried out to Martin and to Kat. Your deaths will have meaning! And those who have done these things shall pay! I swear it!
Over dramatic, perhaps. But these thoughts calmed me and gave me a sense of purpose that let me keep moving.
I made it into the mountains without any problem. I was feeling pretty relaxed now, despite my resolve to stay alert. My grief was a tangible thing that had lodged deep within my heart. Every so often, it would turn uneasily in its sleep, then the pain would start again. I wasn't trying to forget them, just trying to hold off the grief until I was in a safer place. If any place could be safe now.
I still had no idea who was after me. No idea as to their motive, or their ability. I did not know if I had gotten out of their reach by running to the mountains, or if I was going into the lion's den.
I realized that I was running low on gas, so I started watching for a suitable place to fill the tank. I was pretty far into the mountains, now. There were few towns of any significance, but it should be possible to find a small gas station. I came around a bend in the road and saw just what I needed.
It was a small gas station with built in grocery. You know the kind of place. They're actually rather common through this area. It was a place for the locals to buy gas, and pick up a few goodies without having to drive into the next large town. It had two pumps, old and not very well cared for. I figured I'd pull in and get ten bucks of gas. Maybe a bottle of wine, too. I pulled up to the pump, got out and signaled the clerk that I needed to fill up. He turned on the pump, and I filled the tank. It only took about thirty bucks to fill it, so I was getting better gas mileage than usual. There's a helpful tip. Driving to avoid unwanted attention from police will give you better mileage and save you money. Sheesh.
I replaced the cap on the gas tank, and closed the cover. I went inside to pay, and felt a chill run down my spine. I had turned to the coolers to pick out a bottle of wine, and saw a man standing over in the corner. He was in the shadows, somewhat, and I couldn't really make out his features. But there was something very familiar about him. Apparently, he felt the same about me, because he raised his head when I came in.
A silent alarm was ringing in my skull. Get out, get out now! I decided that I didn't really need any wine, and walked back to the counter to pay for my gas. The clerk did something then that forced me to complete stillness. He simply turned and walked out the back of the store. No words, nothing. Just turned and left. I was staring after him when I felt the other come up behind me.
"Mr. Koenig. I've been expecting you. Shall we step out to your car?" I don't know whether it was his polite tone of voice, or the gun in my back, but I felt he was being very persuasive.
"Are we going somewhere?" I asked him.
"We are going to meet someone who has become very interested in you. He wishes to meet you, and I am here to insure that he will get the opportunity."
"Is he perhaps interested enough to murder two people to get to me?"
"Murder is such an ugly term, Mr. Koenig. Why don't we call that an unfortunate accident." We were nearing the side of my car, now. My rage was building again. They had killed my woman and my best friend, and this ass hole was calling it an unfortunate accident.
I did something then that Martin would have scolded me for. Every sensei will tell their students that a karate fighter is fast, but a bullet is even faster. In other words, don't mess with someone who has a gun. I felt that I didn't have anything to lose, and I did have a lot to pay back.
I spun in a short, vicious arc. My right forearm caught his wrist, knocking the gun aside just as he fired. The report nearly deafened me. I wrapped my right hand around his wrist, squeezed, and twisted. He dropped the gun, and I kicked it away. He would have cried out at the pain in his wrist, but that was when my left fist contacted his nose.
His head snapped back, and the blood spurted from his broken nose. Normally I would have stopped there. Normally, but not now. My fury had taken control, and would not be satisfied till this man was dead. I turned to my car, reached through the open passenger window, and drew the sword. Crouching down slightly, I jabbed behind me with my right elbow. It caught my opponent in the stomach as he was coming in to strike at my back.
I whirled, rising and bringing up the blade as I did so. The polished steel described a perfect arc that became crimson where it intersected his body. My exercises in iai-jutsu had served me well. One stroke, and it was finished. My enemy crumpled to the ground, nearly cut in half from right hip, to left shoulder. I spun the blade, and tapped the hilt to remove his blood.
Now that it was done, my heart was racing. My breath came in quick, shallow bursts. His eyes were watching me. I thought he was dead, until he spoke. He drew a shuddering breath, how, I didn’t know, and spoke to me.
"Are you the One? Are you the One we have sought for a long age of the world?" He looked at himself, then. "You have ended me, Man. You must be the One, for no mortal ever had the power to do thus to my kin." The tension left his body. He died.
I was about to turn and drive off in my car, when the impossible happened. His body just faded! It was like some special effect from a science fiction movie, you know, where the alien dies and its body fades in a gust of wind. It took about a minute for him to disappear completely. When he was gone, I was ready to believe that I'd dreamed the whole thing. Were it not for the sword in my hand, and the blood on the ground, it might have been a dream.
I got back in my car, shaking badly. As I drove off, I saw the attendant come out on the front porch of the station. At least he was all right. That guy must have had some kind of hold on his mind, to make him just walk out like that. Maybe he'd be okay now that the other one was dead. I thought that he would.
I knew that I would have to be even more careful from here on. If they'd had someone waiting for me at the station, they would have someone else backing him up. The only question was, where. And how long until I found out. I wanted to turn the car around, and head off in a direction that they weren't expecting. But, on the other hand, I had no guarantee that they weren't watching all my possible avenues of escape.
Somehow, deep inside, I felt that my flight toward the hidden valley in the mountains was less running away, than it was running to something. And while they might be expecting me to go there, it might surprise them if I went there hard and fast. And if they were trying to keep me away from there, my reasoning continued, would I not harm them the most by getting to that very place. Then that's just what I would do.
The very thing that what hurt them the most.
I got to the trail head I intended to use about an hour after leaving the gas station. I had not been stopped by anyone during that time, but I had noticed another car on the road. It appeared from time to time in my rearview mirror. If it was following me, it was doing a pretty good job. There was no way I would have suspected it, if it weren't for my nerves being wound so tight.
I left the car off to one side of the parking area. I unloaded my gear as fast as I could, and stashed it off in the bushes, out of sight. I arrayed myself for battle, with a couple of shuriken, or throwing stars, in my belt. I also took my pair of sai. These were metal forks about eighteen inches long, designed for trapping sword blades, or for throwing. The central tine was sharpened and half again as long as the two outside tines. And, of course, there was the sword which had served me well earlier.
I hid myself in the brush, not far from my gear. My vantage point would allow me to clearly see anyone who came into the parking area. It would also allow me to retreat quickly if I were severely outnumbered. I only had to wait about ten minutes before something happened. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I was expecting.
I was crouched low beside a tree, watching the road for that car to pull in. I was still waiting, when I heard a sound from the brush off to my right. Remaining as still as possible, I turned my eyes to see what was moving. My vigilance was rewarded with the sight of a man creeping through the woods. He was moving with such stealth, that I knew he had to be one of my elusive enemies.
I waited. Another came into view across the road from my position. They were moving parallel to the road, one to each side. I watched as they sighted my car, and one signaled the other to circle round. I reasoned that they were the only ones to be dealt with, since they had not tried to signal anyone else. The one across the road moved farther into the forest in order to come up from behind my car.
That meant that I had to deal with the one on my side of the road first. I moved off toward the one nearest me, trying to keep him between me and the parking lot. I caught sight of him, and went cold. He was packing an assault rifle A fucking assault rifle! One of those guns that could go fully automatic. The kind that some folks claimed they hunted with or only had for a collection or home defense. These guys were getting serious. Oh well. That just meant that I didn't have to make a decision about whether or not to let him live. Martin would smack me hard for what I was thinking of doing. The pain that followed that thought focused me on my task.
I was kneeling on the edge of a small clear spot, just where he would have to pass in front of me. I watched him come closer. One step. Two steps. Three. I launched from my position, and swept my sword around on a flat arc. I must have made some small noise as I moved, for he turned to face me. It was too late for him, though. For even as his eyes widened in surprise, his head left his shoulders. I spun the blade to clear it of blood, giving it a little tap at the end.
A spray of bullets ran across the trees a mere hair's breadth above my head. I dove for the bushes, and rolled out of sight. The other man came running forward, then tumbled to his knees as a shuriken caught him in the fleshy part of his thigh. Contrary to what most Americans thought, that is what throwing stars were for. They were designed to take a man down, not to pierce his skull and kill him instantly. Though I’m sure it is hypothetically possible to do so. maybe Myth Busters would tackle that someday.
Now all I had to do was figure out a way to get past his guard, and that rifle. My sight was drawn to the body of the first man I had dispatched. Like the guy at the gas station, the body was fading away to nothing. Already I could see through him to the ground below. It was very distracting, and that gave me an idea for a simple, but I hoped, effective tactic.
I found a fairly round rock, and took it to the edge of the road. Keeping my body behind a tree, I rolled the rock across the road behind his back. The man spun as fast as he could on his knees, and fired another spray. That was encouraging. I'd caused him to waste some more ammunition, and hopefully gave him cause to think I'd crossed over to the other side.
My quarry was glancing around wildly. He didn't seem to know where I was, or where I'd be coming from. Good. I wanted to keep it that way. I moved down closer to the road, grabbing another rock along the way. When I was satisfied with my position, I tossed the rock behind him. He spun to face that direction, and I ran out from hiding, sword raised to finish him off.
Either this guy was a better fighter, or just lucky. He faced me again before I was in range. Suddenly I found myself looking down the stubby barrel of a very ugly and efficient weapon. He expected me to either stop, or dodge, so I ran right down his throat. I flipped over his head just as he pulled the trigger. It was one of those moves that I'd never believed in kung-fu movies. I don't know how I did it, or why, but I won't complain because it worked. And no wires, either!
Landing directly behind him, I swung the sword on a level with his neck. The blade hardly even hesitated as it passed through his neck. The blood fountained forth, and the headless corpse fell to the ground. I stood there panting, then staggered a step as the shock hit me. I nearly blacked out as I watched the body fade to nothing.
In a moment, there was nothing left on the ground but blood and my shuriken. I cleaned and pocketed the latter, then ran over to the spot where I'd left my gear. I sheathed the sword, then shouldered my pack and started the climb into the hills. I'd be okay if only I could get a couple of miles up the trail. Then I could leave the trail and strike out overland.
In a matter of a half hour, I had climbed to a spot high above the parking lot. It sometimes paid to be in decent shape. As I stood there catching my breath, I looked back down the valley. I could see the road for quite a distance, and what I saw made my heart sink. There were three vans coming up the road, and they were moving fast enough to raise quite a bit of dust in their wake.
I didn't need to stick around to see that these were the reinforcements. I hightailed it into the hills to get as far as I could before they picked up my trail. Soon, I was nearly running up the trail. I hoped that they would take some time to scan the area below. Since they would find no trace of their friends, maybe they could be trusted to delay a while before coming on up the trail. Then I remembered the blood.
I was about four miles from the trail head, when I stopped to get my bearings. I had used an imaginary line drawn between two mountain peaks as a reference. When I got directly between them, it was time to leave the trail. The trail itself continued on up the next ridge to arrive at a set of lakes in the next valley. My path, however, would follow this valley to the north. I turned to the left, and stepped of the trail.
I was fortunate that there was plenty of brush to conceal my progress, but this would also serve to slow me considerably. Therefore, I had to get a move on. There would be a group of armed men coming through here any time. I made my way as quickly as I could. I had to be careful, though. If I damaged any brush as I passed, I would leave them a clear sign pointing out the place I left the trail.
I had just lowered a branch back into place, when I heard someone coming along the path. I lowered myself to the ground, and looked out through the intervening growth. A party of five men came jogging up the trail. They had no camping gear, but they had plenty of fire power. Each had a small assault rifle, in addition to sidearms and knives. The one leading the group also had a weapon that surprised me. Strapped across his back was a broadsword at least four feet long from point to pommel. I hoped that we would not have to cross blades, because I wasn’t sure that my samurai sword could withstand a blow from that monster without snapping.
I waited until they had moved on up the trail before resuming my progress. I began to wonder if they knew where the valley was. If so, then I might have a real problem. I chuckled grimly when I thought of the surprise that some camper might get when that group stumbled upon them. I sobered abruptly, thinking that innocence had not saved Martin or Kat. I prayed to whatever gods would listen that there would be no innocent people to get in the way.
As near as I could remember, the hidden valley was about five miles farther along this valley. I might reasonably expect to arrive there around sunset, providing that I didn't have any more run-ins with my friendly neighborhood ass holes. I hadn't seen any sign that I was being followed. Of course, they could be paralleling my path. In that case, I wouldn't know until we met.
There were stretches of terrain where the trees and undergrowth were thin enough that I could make good progress. And, then again, there were places where I could hardly move without pulling out my knife and hacking out a trail. This was something that I could not allow myself to do. It would make it very easy for the enemy to find me.
The afternoon passed in a blur of exertion. Looking back now, I hardly remember anything that occurred from the time I left the main trail, and the time I arrived at the entrance to the hidden valley. It's as though that time did not exist, and I just appeared in the narrow place where the mountains opened to reveal that special place.
I found myself standing there, breathing hard and wavering a little on my feet. I was bruised from my contacts with the enemy, scratched and torn from the passage up the valley. But I was finally there. I began to move forward to meet my destiny.
There was a strange thrumming sound. Something hit my pack, and pushed me forward. I slipped the pack off and found that it had sprouted feathers. An arrow had pierced the outer edge of the pack and lodged in something inside. I stood there, staring stupidly. The sound came again, and a burning pain lifted me from my feet and down to the ground. I lay there gasping for air. Blood was trickling around the shaft which now protruded from my left shoulder. I could the feel beginnings of shock greying out the edges of my vision.
I had to get moving! I couldn't just sit here and wait for the coup-de-grace. I started to get to my feet, and failed. I turned to look behind me. There was a man stepping out from the trees. He held a bow in his left hand, an arrow already fitted to the string. There was no way that I could escape him, but he made no move to kill me yet.
He seemed to content to watch me bleed to death. A little further. If I could only get a little further into the vale. Somehow, I felt that was all I needed to do. Nothing else mattered. I started to crawl. He laughed at me, and followed me step, by agonizing step.
Somehow, I made it to my feet, and tottered along for a while. My enemy paced me for about thirty yards, then stopped to loose another shaft in my direction. This one entered my right thigh. I cried out, and fell again. I crawled now, dragging myself along. It struck me as almost funny, that race. It seemed to go on forever. Inch by bloody inch. Into the hidden valley. I thought of Kat. Of Martin. Tears flowed from my eyes unnoticed by me, leaving tracks in the trail dust already there.
"Now, great warrior. Now it is time to die." His voice was cold as ice, and sounded like it was coming from the far side of creation. I rolled onto my back, watched him raise the bow for the final shot. But it never came.
As he was about to release, a great wolf leaped from a rock that had overhung the clearing we were in. A white wolf. A wolf that looked big enough to pull down a horse. Its green eyes were narrowed into slits of hate, its fangs reaching for the flesh of the man who would kill me. Green eyes? Then this had to be the wolf that had haunted my dreams. The wolf that Kat had painted, though she must have gotten the sense of size wrong. This fellow was almost the size of a small horse.
In any case, the man screamed and dropped the bow in order to shield his face from the wolf's attack. Little good it did him. The wolf's massive jaws snapped twice, and his hands were gone. Then came a sound that will haunt me as long as I live. The sound of a human throat being torn by the fangs of a wolf. The body shuddered once, and was still.
The wolf wiped its muzzle on the man's clothing as if it found the blood to be most foul. Then it raised its head and let loose the same sibilant howl that I had heart that first night in this valley. It turned to look at me. For a moment, just a moment, I thought it would now give me the same treatment. Then I noticed that its eyes held no more malice toward me than those of a normal dog. But its gaze was far more intelligent than any dog's could ever be.
It trotted across the clearing to me, sniffed gently at my wounds, then howled again. It seemed quite upset by my injury, though not half as upset as I was. Then it nosed me. I think it wanted me to get up. It wagged its tail once. I started to chuckle at this great vicious beast doing a Lassie impression, then the pain from my wounds made me stop.
The wolf bit a section of my pant leg, and tugged. "Okay. Okay, I'll try to follow you," I said. I wasn't about to argue with an animal that could munch up a man as fast as this one had. It bounced up and away to one side. It was obviously pleased by my understanding. Or maybe I was just hallucinating. Whatever. All I cared about now was finding a place to lie down and die in peace. I knew that I would never make it out of here on my own, and that if I didn't get some medical attention soon, it wouldn't matter.
I got to my feet somehow, but knew that I couldn't walk without assistance. The wolf sniffed around for a moment. It found my sword where I had dropped it, still in its scabbard. Picking this up in its mouth, the wolf brought it to me. It laid the hilt in my outstretched hand. I wasn't sure that I could even draw it, let alone fight. But at least it would give me something to steady myself as I hobbled along.
"Okay, Rin Tin Tin. Lead the way." The wolf looked at me, and growled softly. Once. "All right. No dog jokes." It seemed content with that reply and turned to continue the way into the vale.
The central clearing was only about three hundred yards from the site of that last battle. It still took over three hours to cover the distance. I had to stop and rest frequently. I was afraid that the wolf would leave me, but it never did. When I stopped, it would turn and wait for me to continue. On one particular stop, when I didn't move for over ten minutes, it came and sniffed me again. It kept nudging me with its nose until I got up and started moving again.
I knew that I was dying. I'm sure that the wolf knew it too. Death has a very distinctive smell, and that probably accounted for some of the wolf's strange behavior. It became more agitated as we neared the meadow, and my rest stops became longer. Finally, though, I passed the last of the trees and stepped out into the open air. There was a very gentle down slope here, and it helped me to go a little farther before collapsing on the grass. The wolf nosed me again, but I would not move. It grabbed my collar in its teeth, and began to pull me along. That wasn't too hard on this grass, though it was damn unpleasant for me. It let go of me when we reached the circle of stones that I had seen on my first trip. I struggled to sit upright, with my back against the cold of the one of the stones.
The wolf circled around me, slowly. Once. Twice. A third time. Then it sat in front of me and howled three times. As the last cry faded, several things happened at once.
First, the sky grew dark. I don't mean that clouds covered the sun. It just got dark. The sun was still high over the ridge to the southwest, the air just dimmed till it had the appearance of early evening. Then, in the East, a powerful whirlwind formed at he edge of the clearing very near to the point at which I had entered the glade.
In the South, a pillar of fire formed from nothing, apparently. It burned to a height of about twenty feet, though it occupied only about three feet on the ground.
In the West, where the stream entered, a fountain formed. It, too, was shaped like a pillar, and had very controlled dimensions.
In the North, there was a rumbling sound. The ground split open, and a shaft of rock rose to form the final pillar. I was now surrounded by pillars of the four elements, air, fire, water, and earth. Now the final magic could commence.
At my side, the wolf howled again. Only once, this time. The sky that I knew disappeared to be replaced by a dome of opaline radiance. The world grew quiet, I could no longer hear the noise from the four pillars. I heard the voice of a man and a woman then.
"The time is at hand," said the man.
"Our Lord has returned," said the woman. They were the voices of gods. Resonating in the very substance of the world, coming from everywhere, and nowhere. I turned my head, and saw them. Misty in outline, huge in size. They towered above the clearing, standing one on each side, and smiling down on me. Then I heard another voice.
"Welcome home my Lord. My love." I turned my head to see the most beautiful woman I have ever dreamed of. No, she was more beautiful than any mortal heart could conceive. She was walking towards me from the center of the glade. The great wolf that had brought me here was capering about her like a puppy. She held out a hand to it, and it quieted somewhat. When she drew near, she knelt at my side and spoke again.
"Do not fear. No pain of the mortal world can reach you here, in this place. Your wounds will be healed, and much will be returned to you that has been lost this past age of the world." She leaned forward to touch me.
"Let it begin, now." Her words were gentle, if firm. But when her hand met the skin of my forehead, unspeakable agony raced through my body. A spasm of agony shook my body, causing me to arch up away from the stone.
My mind was shattered beneath the onslaught of the white fire that raged within me. Soon I felt a vast black chasm open beneath me, its darkness cool and inviting. I gratefully slipped down into it, away from the pain. The velvet darkness took hold of me, and squeezed. I knew no more.
© Copyright 2007 ToddPh (UN: toddph at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ToddPh has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/540840-Chapter-2