*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/541671
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(107)
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1213567
The Legend of the Eyebright was thought to be just a myth...
#541671 added October 14, 2007 at 3:53pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Twenty-One: Winter Break
Kasity cast a shield around her and held it. Today was the last day of her Defensive special class and when she returned from the winter break she would take a new one. By now casting shield was second nature and she hardly had to concentrate to make weaker ones.

“Toss it here, Kas,” called Korinne from the other side of the field.

Kasity closed her eyes and concentrated on sliding the shield away, as if it was a massive, soapy bubble floating in the air. She felt the shield connect to Korinne and dropped her concentration.
“Got it!” yelled Korinne, elated. “Here, I’m sending it back to you.”

They were doing their usual exercises in Defensive, Mr. Rance prowling the pairs to make sure they were transferring the shields correctly. To her right, Jaxith and Aidan were working with their own shield, which was barely visible as a little shimmer in the air.

“Oh—I’m sorry, Aidan!” Jaxith cried as he dropped the shield he was supposed to be passing to Aidan, the magical residue knocking both of them off their feet.

The Wyverns jeered and laughed, and Kasity was glad to see that some of them became so distracted that they dropped shields, too. At least one good thing about this class ending was that she would no longer have the class with Adely…

“Settle down, class,” called Mr. Rance, and everyone returned back to work.

“Kas, did you do the Sensory homework?” Korinne asked as the Sylphs exited through the quick exit off of the tunnel leading to Field Four.

“Well, I tried practicing during Arithmetic class,” replied Kasity. “I stared at the back of Claia’s head for ages and I still didn’t get any of the answers.”

Aidan laughed, but Korinne looked at her reproachfully.

“Well, it’s a good thing you couldn’t do it, then,” she said. “You’re not supposed to break into people’s minds like that.”

“Not like I could if I tried,” said Kasity, frustrated. “I don’t like that class at all. I don’t feel anything except that she’s trying to make me look stupid.”

“It’s really not that bad, actually,” said Aidan, shrugging. “Are you guys headed for dinner or the dwelling?”

“Dwelling,” sighed Kasity. “I still need to pack and put away my things. I can’t believe we’ll be gone for two weeks.”

“Don’t remind me,” Aidan groaned. “My brother just wrote me that I have to stay with Adely over break.”

Kasity skidded to a halt, her feet slipping on the icy ground. “What?”

“Adely’s family has a manor in Veruna, and my father doesn’t want me traveling all the way back to the capital,” explained Aidan glumly.

“My sponsor’s picking me up in Veruna but taking me up north,” said Korinne. “That means I won’t see any of you.”

“I have no idea what I’m doing,” sighed Kasity. “The last letter I got from my father was ages ago. I guess my stepmother will pick me up, and take me back home.” She shuddered. The idea was not a pleasant one.

They walked on, silent in their thoughts. Kasity bade farewell to her friends in the Centre Quad and went back to the dwelling herself. The tree grove next to the building was bare and forlorn, a cold wind whistling through the frost-adorned branches. She moved quickly into the dwelling, glancing at the den where a couple older steps lounged. She climbed the spiral staircase up to the girl’s room, and spotted her bunk, which had all her belongings strewn all over it. She sighed, clambered onto her bed and began sorting through her stuff. She took all the old homework and papers out of her bag and into a pile in one corner, stuffed a couple books she would need to read over break into her reliable canvas bag, and stowed the rest into her drawers, which were located right above her bunk. She left her spare uniforms in her drawer; she would not need them, for she was sure her stepmother would throw a fit once she saw Kasity’s uniform. It wasn’t ladylike by any standards. The idea of wearing her uniform around during teatime brought a smile to Kasity’s face, and she giggled despite herself.

The following morning, a foggy Wednesday, they all boarded the boats for the port city of Veruna. Instead of being separated by gender, this time they went with their Clouds. Sylph was with Gargoyle, Cockatrice, and Hippocamp on one boat, and Kasity sat with her friends during that entire cold ride, the sea breeze tormenting her nose and fingers. She watched the shore grow closer and closer, the outline of the city dark against the foggy sky. Soon they were passing other boats; small fishing vessels headed for a day’s work, ferries taking people out to the islands that dotted the coast, and patrol boats scouting the area. As they reached the dock, Kasity could make out the shapes of a large crowd of people standing on the harbor sidewalk, and carriages behind them.

“Bye, Jaxith,” Kasity called as Gargoyle exited the boat first, and he waved back cheerily.
Cockatrice Cloud stalked off next, glaring at all the Sylphs. They hadn’t forgotten their defeat in the first Combats. Next the Sylphs exited, the first steps hovering in the middle of the group.

Kasity shivered as she stepped onto the dock and headed toward the mass of people. She heard shrieks of joy and laughter as families were reunited, and she found herself separated from all her friends. From the corner of her eye she saw Claia hugging her mother, and Tal talking with his sister. She stood on tiptoes, searching the crowd for her stepmother or perhaps even her father. A tug on her sleeve distracted her search.

Lander grinned at her. “Kas, I’ll be seeing you over break. My father always throws a party for the Academy kids in the area.” He gave her a quick one-armed hug and hurried back to his father, a tall, imposing figure with a neat mustache and furrowed brows.

She watched him go for a second, and then continued making her way past all the shoving, chattering people. Ahead, she spotted Calixte talking with a woman with frizzy hair and escorting her toward a waiting carriage, but they disappeared before Kasity could get a closer glimpse. Later on she waved at Korinne, who was leaving with her Irinifan sponsor, and Rissy, who was talking with her parents. The crowd began to thin, and Kasity began to worry. Where could her parents be? Could they have forgotten? Perhaps they didn’t want her anymore. Those horrible thoughts filled her head, chilling her like the fog never could.

“Hey, Kas!”

Kasity turned around, broken out of her reverie. Aidan ran toward her and grabbed her arm.

“Come on, Kas. Let’s get out of here,” he panted.

“Skies, Aidan, what’s going on?”

“I just escaped from Adely’s parents. There’s no way I’m spending all of break with them,” he explained, still trying to catch his breath.

“Escaped?” yelped Kasity. “Aidan, how did you manage that?”

“Easy. Snuck out of the carriage, ran off here,” he said. “Come on, let’s go. Bet we could get out of the city if we wanted to. Or maybe even find a place.” He grinned. “You don’t want to go home, either.”

The offer was so tempting. Wouldn’t that be fun, on the loose in Veruna? Then reality hit and she remembered they were just kids.

“Kasity! There you are!”

Both Kasity and Aidan swiveled around. Kasity’s stepmother headed toward them, smiling a strained smile. The first thing Kasity noticed was that her stomach was big and round.

“Kasity, I’ve been waiting for nearly half an hour,” her stepmother said. “And who are you?” She glared at Aidan, who immediately assumed his most winsome smile.

“Aidan, noble Aé. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Lady Ké,” he said in an unctuous voice while sweeping a bow.

Kasity almost choked trying to keep the laughter in.

“Aidan, noble— Prince Aidan! The youngest Prince!” her stepmother cried. “I’m terribly sorry. Kasity, why didn’t you say something?”

Kasity sighed to herself while Aidan smirked.

“Prince Aidan, where are your parents? I’m sure they must be—”

“Er…That reminds me, I should get back to them,” Aidan replied, making a face at Kasity. “I’ll see you at the Academy, Kasity. Farewell, Lady Ké.” He bowed once more and disappeared in the dissipating crowd.

“Goodness,” said her stepmother, putting a hand on her round stomach. “The Prince!" She stared at the spot where Aidan had stood a moment before, then turned around. Kasity followed her out of the crowd, and into a waiting carriage, still worrying about Aidan. Would Adely’s parents find him? He would be alright, wouldn’t he?

“It’ll take us a while to get out of this mess,” her stepmother murmured, glancing at the long line of waiting carriages from out the window.

She looked back at Kasity, and frowned. “What is that thing you’re wearing?”

“It’s our uniform,” explained Kasity.

“It’s hideous. Don’t tell me you’ve been running around with that thing on! You’ll have to get changed and proper once we arrive back home.”

Kasity had been afraid of that.

“Your father found a nice place right here in Veruna for the winter,” her stepmother informed her. “It was a kind thing to do, since he has business around this area. He’ll be back home in a couple days or so.”

Kasity’s heart thumped harder in her chest. She was going to get to see her father!

“He didn’t want to be too far in case the baby decided to come.” She patted her stomach again.

“Another baby?” asked Kasity.

“You’ll have a little sister or brother soon,” said her stepmother.

The carriage jerked to a start, and picked up speed. (“Finally,” muttered her stepmother.) They passed the shops and cafes lining the harbor streets, and quaint little buildings with sea creatures painted on them. They traveled toward the outskirts of the city, on roads bordering the sea. Kasity watched it all with excitement, her face pressed up against the carriage glass, her breath perpetually fogging her view. Soon she spotted large, grand mansions; they passed those, too, and other charming sea villas. All too soon they took a turn into a grand ring of handsome houses. In the middle of the homes was a little sign next to a fountain that read Sea Grass Circle. And, sure enough, there was plenty of sea grass growing alongside the road, and even under the sign.

“Our house is the one in the middle,” said her stepmother, sounding pleased that Kasity seemed so awed by their surroundings. “Your father was able to get us such a nice place. So quaint. And you couldn’t ask for better company. There are only about ten houses in the Circle and all the neighbors are so well-bred…although I haven’t seen the people living in the house to the right of ours.”

Kasity glanced at the house to the right. It was a bit smaller than her house, and all the shutters were drawn. Then the footman opened the door, and Kasity sprung out, her bag swung to one side. Her stepmother continued to talk to the coachmen as she explored her surroundings. Her house had a wooden exterior painted a cheery shade of red that contrasted against the dark sky. A wreathe of sea grass adorned the blue door.

“Knock on the door, Kasity,” said her stepmother impatiently, and she did so.

They waited for a few moments in the cold before Malise, her stepmother’s personal maid, opened it.

“Lady Ké! And Kasity!” she exclaimed. “Come in, come in…”

She ushered them into the house, and Kasity looked around in wonder. The foyer walls were painted white and a simple staircase led upstairs. She could see a hallway leading further into the house, and to her right a closed door had to conceal another lovely room.

“Kasity, first order of business is to get you to your room and changed,” ordered her stepmother. “Malise, I’m very tired. Ask the cook to bring up something refreshing. Kasity, let’s go.”

Her stepmother sighed and motioned her to go up the wooden staircase. Her room was the first on the right. It was small, with a window overlooking the ocean and a white bed with purple covers. In one corner stood a mirror and the other a small dresser.

“I had Malise organize all your winter things,” said her stepmother. “Goodness, Kasity, you’ve gotten so dark. What in the world have you been doing at that school? Running around outside?”

Feeling that the truth wouldn’t be prudent, Kasity said, “Er…you know. We take a lot of walks.”

“In this weather?”

How could she explain the Terrain Stadium, which could easily pour sunlight like it could pour hail?

“Well, not as much.”

“What have you learned?” Her stepmother seemed suspicious.

“Arithmetic, history, literature, music, art—” Kasity rambled off a list, although she had only taken music for half a trimester.

“No magic?” Her stepmother snorted. “I thought the Academy was the best magic school.”

“Oh, we have healing class and—and magical theory and herbal lore, and—”

“How do you even manage to fit that all in?”

Kasity launched into another equally awkward explanation about her eight core classes and special classes that rotated throughout the year. Thankfully, Malise returned before her stepmother could ask any more questions, and her stepmother went through the business of picking out a horrible frilly dress for Kasity to wear.

“We’re due at Lady Fé’s for afternoon tea,” her stepmother fretted as she motioned for Malise to brush Kasity’s hair, something that hadn’t been done in months. “She lives two houses down from here all year around with her little son. Then I’m having Lady and Lord Té for dinner, and please mind your manners, dear. And those neighbors that I haven’t met…I must go over and introduce myself some time, although I would like to do that when your father gets back…”

Kasity sighed to herself despite the beautiful house and the lovely carriage ride. She was back to the world she had wanted to get so desperately away from, right back in the middle of it, and it made her feel just as uncomfortable as her itchy pink dress.


© Copyright 2007 emerin-liseli (UN: liseli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
emerin-liseli has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/541671