*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542858-Chapter-2--The-aftermath-of-words
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1334992
A modern story of adventure, mystery, and time travel.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#542858 added October 20, 2007 at 4:15pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: The aftermath of words.
Okay, I guess it would be highly relevant at this point to give an explanation.

Here's the deal:  Solomon's Mirror wasn't really owned by Solomon himself.  Trust me, I checked.  (Solomon's a nice enough guy, but a bit sanctimonious for my tastes.  He was King of Israel, so that's to be expected, right?)  At any rate, Solomon's Mirror isn't a metaphor-  It's a real, honest to God, mirror.  In fact, it's the first mirror-  Crafted even before Hydrogen met Oxygen-- We're talking OLD.  The thing was made by some "demon" (if you could even call it that) way before breathing was the fad that it is today.  Want a name?  Sorry.  Didn't have names back then.  Too confining, or something.  I'd love to visit, but I'm afraid it's even out of my scope.  To the best of my knowledge, the mirror was established to give order and form to the universe as we know it. 

You see, before time was time, there were two different (nameless) factions.  One of them was intent on keeping things the way they were, the other was intent on changing them.  Way back then, nothing was set in stone.  If you could think it, it could happen.  Reality, as it was known, was easily molded.  There were universes within universes, thought patterns became real.

It was crazy is what it was.  But it was also hard to reign in any power, and if there's anything demons like more than messing with humans, it's power.  Enter: The new faction.  Thus began the Timeless Wars.

Long story short, the newbies overthrew the oldies.  The oldies were corrupt and fighting amongst themselves-- they had no doctrine, no dogma, they were chaos made manifest.  Once the last of them was killed, the newbies decided to start making laws defining our reality.  They started by lineating the timeline-- the laws of conservation of matter and energy followed next.  Then gravity, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  Of course, they rigged the system to their benefit: so much so that many of the ruling families of demons can trace their lineage back to those folks.  It's a classic example (The first, actually) of the powerful getting more power and keeping it all for themselves.

I digress...

The form and substance of our universe as we know it was given shape.  It turns out that, given all their infinite power, the demon-creators of the universe couldn't avoid having a power source.  Their own laws of physics would be the universe's eventual undoing.  So they decided to create a power source of infinite magnitude-- the Perfect Sphere.  If you know anything about the rules of the universe, the sphere was chosen above all other shapes to be the greatest.  Not only that, but the resting state of all things is to eventually BECOME a sphere.  You didn't think planets and stars happened by accident, did you?

I digress...

The sphere was without any desire except to power the stability of the universe.  Order from chaos, that sort of thing.  For millions of years, the sphere stayed at the exact pinpoint of the universe's beginning... Boise, Idaho.

Nah, I'm just kidding.  Sorry Boisians.

The universe began in Canaan.

Literally this time.

Canaan, the land which would one day become Israel, which would one day become not Israel, and would one day become Israel all over again.  The one and the same.  You wonder why there's so many religious wars in that area?  The whole place is teaming with demon residue.  (Gooey stuff.  Tastes and smells acrid.)

By the way, now's as good a time as any to tell you that your concepts of God or Gods is wrong.  There never were any, and there isn't one now.  Only thing around are demons, and I can tell you most of them ain't much smarter than your average human.  Moving on...

The Sphere stuck around Canaan until the dawn of man.  Then, man stumbled upon it-- didn't know what to do with the thing, played with it, tinkered it around, even tried to destroy it (with sticks and stones-- I watched.  It was hilarious!)  You'd think that the demon guardians would have stepped in and eradicated humans just for that, but, well... The bloodlines that were created to ensure the safety of the damn thing died out millions of years before.

So a bunch of barely sentient apes were now in possession of the most powerful thing in the universe.  If that ain't comedy, I don't know what is.

Thousands and thousands of boring years passed, the sphere made its way through many hands until it came to lay with good old King Solomon.  Of course, it wasn't by accident (very little is, it turns out) that a King would be the first to figure out the damn thing.  It was at that instant that the universe changed.

That's right.  Everything before that point, completely different.  What it was, I don't know... I may be able to shift through time, but once time is rewritten, the memories fade as well.  King Solomon, by figuring out the thing and psychically fiddling with it, changed everything that is and ever was.

He woke up the next day with a huge hangover, let me tell you!  Everybody did.  Hazards of living on the tightrope that is reality.  From then on, The Sphere was changed to reflect its new source of affection.  It would forever reflect King Solomon's visage.

And boy howdy did it go to the bugger's head.

The Sphere begot the Mirror.  The Mirror was all that there was.

And now, it was in trouble.
© Copyright 2007 Sebastian Tate (UN: sebastiantate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sebastian Tate has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542858-Chapter-2--The-aftermath-of-words