*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/543220-Good-comes-from-tragedy
Rated: GC · Book · Experience · #1151935
My thoughts, emotions, frustrations. In short, my life such as it is.
#543220 added October 21, 2007 at 7:40am
Restrictions: None
Good comes from tragedy
Isn't it strange how life can take turns you don't expect? My best friend and I have been estranged for over 8 years due to several circumstances. When my sister was killed she promised me she would be there when I lost my father. The day his obituary appeared in the local paper she called me. Now we have years to catch up on.

When we talked for the first time in years we both asked the other, "What happened?" After talking for hours we discovered much of it was simply a misunderstanding exacerbated by the circumstances at the time, including a third party fueling the negative feelings between us. Then we realized that some things happen simply due to immaturity and not having the wisdom we have now. Life experiences are, after all, the best teacher.
It was easy to admit to one another at our ages now that we missed each other desperately but neither of us knew how to make the first step. We both felt bad about not reaching out sooner but then realized regret is unproductive and we would simply go forward from now.

I can't help but have some regrets as she has been through so much that I wished I was there for. The thought of her going through those things and knowing she needed me, which she admits, is heartbreaking for me. She seems to think I went through more but it's simply not true. She was diagnosed as bipolar after a suicide attempt and although she is doing well now my heart aches at the thought that she felt her life was not worth living. Had she succeeded I would have many more regrets and likely alot of guilt for not being there as we had always been for each other. I thank God that she is well and at peace now.

As painful as it is to lose my father, I can't help but be grateful that it brought my dearest friend back to me. The love is still there and I look forward to us growing close again. Not to mention our sons are happy to be friends again. I hope, as men, their friendship is as lasting as their mothers has been and pray they never lose sight of that as we did.






© Copyright 2007 Wystful (UN: bookishfilly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wystful has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/543220-Good-comes-from-tragedy