*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/543586
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1336923
Magdalena and Ryan are assigned as each other's penpals. A story told through e-mails.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#543586 added October 22, 2007 at 5:37pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
What A Difference A Pen pal Makes


From: magda_piccute@gmail.com
To: ryry5567@yahoo.com

Dear pen pal,

Aren't you excited about having a pen pal? Because I am. I mean it. I really am. I think having pen pals is an exciting experience! Just think -- we even live in different countries; well at least, that's what your profile said.

Well, yes, I have to admit, I checked your profile at least a dozen of times before finally e-mailing you. I mean, what would you do? The moderator posted you're my assigned pen pal and I just had to check your profile thoroughly before finally deciding that it was okay. Because it was, I know.

I mean, according to your profile, we have similar tastes. Okay, so you're a guy and I'm a girl -- big deal! At least we like the same things (unless, of course, you lied in you profile)! For example, you said you play the saxophone -- I play the flute and the piccolo. Meaning: we both like music.

You also said you like writing -- well, I suppose you would, to be in this pen pal experience. Well, guess what? I like writing too! The only differences I could see between us were our likings about pets and colors. For example, you like dark colors -- I like light colors, ALIVE colors, like yellow...light green, shocking pink, etc. You like black, brown, red, etc.

About the pets: you like dogs. I like cats.

But that doesn't make us THAT different. I mean, just because you like dogs and I like cats it doesn't make it a big deal. And colors -- honestly! I mean, it's not as if we'll ever have the chance to meet each other in real life -- you live in Australia and I live in Italy.

So... I suppose I should say my name then? My name's Magdalena and I'm sixteen years old -- almost seventeen, though. As I said already, I live in Italy. I live in a town named Livorno. In case you don't know, it's a province from Tuscany, one of the most beautiful regions in Italy. Well, at least I think it's beautiful.

Right now, I'm at school, in History class. No, we don't have computers in History class -- I'll just type this in the computer when I arrive home.

As I was saying. My name's Magdalena, I'm sixteen years old and I live in Livorno. I love my  piccolo and my flute =D My favorite music to play? Bullfighting music or that Disney music,  Bare Necessities. I think they're great -- especially the trumpet sound, but I have no lips for trumpet. Sad, I know. But I would never give up my flute and my piccolo for a trumpet, anyway, so I suppose it's okay.

I suppose I should stop rambling and start paying attention to class.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Magdalena

---

From: ryry5567@yahoo.com
To: magda_piccute@gmail.com

Dear Magdalena,

To be frank, I've been saying your name for the past half an hour. It sounds exotic when an Australian says it. Or an American. Or anyone that doesn't have an European accent. Oh, you know, if you think about it, British wouldn't be able to say it in an Italian way either. I mean, have you heard them talking? Seriously, it's enough to make you want to puke. Well, at least to me. Their accent sounds so sophisticated and careful and -- yuck.

Anyway, I did check your profile too -- I'm very curious about these things. But who wouldn't be? I mean, I read the post with the matching pen pals and there was:

DeathInABottle matched with PiccoloPlayer5

Of course, I just  had to go see your profile. In case you're wondering because of my nickname, I'm not that morbid and I do not believe in death in a bottle.

It's slightly ironic that you e-mailed me right now, because I was just about to e-mail you. Yes, I am excited about the pen pals thing, and I realize that being a male and a seventeen-year-old at that makes me slightly weird for being excited about it. Well, at least to my friends.

I remember being in Tuscany two years ago, in the Summer. I went to Florence though. I have to agree, Tuscany really is a beautiful region and I wouldn't mind going there again. Maybe next Summer. Who knows? My parents just may get some vacations after all.

I don't really think our opinions about pets and colors will matter much. It's just as you said -- it's highly unlikely you and me will meet, seeing as I live in Australia and you in Tuscany.

I'm not always dressed in those colors though -- I wear blue and white to PE classes AND the band uniform is blue and white. Oh, the same colors. Uh... forget it, will you?

About the pets -- I like both, actually, even though I prefer dogs. I have two dogs and a little kitten. She's very sweet, even though she's recently started to scratch my ankles at every given moment. A bit annoying, if I do say so myself.

So about me: my name's Ryan and I recently turned seventeen. I live in Albany, Western Australia and frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way, really.

Right now, we're entering Summer and it's about to get really hot soon. If you don't believe me, check Wikipedia and search for Albany, Western Australia. You'll see what I mean.

Unlike you, I have the habit to pay attention in History classes -- they're very interesting, really -- so don't expect any e-mails from me written during classes.

I love writing -- in fact, every year in November I participate in NaNoWriMo -- I've been doing it for three years now; it'll be my fourth this year -- and no, even though I never win, I always find the motivation to do better next year.

AH yes. I play the alt saxophone. It's great for jazz music. =D I like the piccolo and the flute too, even though sometimes when a bad note is hit, we just want to run away screaming. I tend to do that a lot, actually.

Our band, sadly, doesn't have the Bare Necessities music =( Want to scan it and send it to me? I wouldn't mind -- especially because I love Disney movies. We do have bullfighting music -- I agree they're great. And while I like the trumpet sound too, I wouldn't want to exchange it for my saxophone,never!

I feel this is becoming too long. Yeah, it is.

Sincerely,
Ryan

---

From: magda_piccute@gmail.com
To: ryry5567@yahoo.com
Attachment: Barenecessities.pdf

Dear Ryan,

You asked and I gave -- I sent the music sheet for clarinets, trumpets, saxophones, flutes, trumps, and percussion. I hope your band likes it -- I know I do. If you want for more instruments, then tell me -- I'll be glad to sneak in the instruments room, steal a couple of sheet music, take a copy, put the sheet music back in their place and then go home and scan them to a .pdf file and finally send them to you.

Look, I know it sounds difficult, but it's not, really. I don't mind. I love sharing my love for the Bare Necessities music.

Speaking of uniforms -- our uniform is emerald green and white. I think it's beautiful, actually. Very exotic-y :P Speaking of exotic -- I never thought saying an Italian name would seem exotic in an Australian's eyes. I suppose you do learn new things everyday after all then, right?

We have a band outing tomorrow -- we're going to Florence, to play in a bullfight. Meaning -- I have rehearsal in an hour that'll last at least until midnight.More, I'll have to wake up at, at least, a half past six AM. But it's not a big deal, really, because I can always sleep in the bus.

You know, now I got myself thinking of band outings. I love band outings. I mean, the bus part is great. I sleep for at least an hour and when I wake up, at least two of the other band members are sleeping next to me, and it's extremely disturbing because they're girls and they're snuggling into you.

Okay, enough about the sleeping part.

What about the part where every single person wants to pee at the same time? They all start, "oh dude, when is this thing stopping? I need to pee or else I'll drown the world with my pee." Yeah, they're a bit disgusting, but I like them all the same.

And then when we stop at service stations, we always spend tons of money in food. We buy chips bags, chocolate cookies, soda, bubblegums, chocolate, every single sweet and fry you can imagine (and that's on sale at the shop).

Of course, the only down part is that at a service station, things are TWICE as expensive, so we spend much more money than if we were shopping at a normal shop.

Sorry about the short e-mail but I really have to go now -- I need to stop over at my best friend's house so that we go to rehearsal together.

Remember to tell me about the sheet music.

Hurriedly,
Magdalena

---

From: ryry5567@yahoo.com
To: magda_piccute@gmail.com

Dear Magdalena,

No worries, the sheet music were enough. We decided to download the rest of the sheets in the internet. Easy solution, wouldn't you think? By the way, we all loved the music -- it's quick and fun, and people who weren't playing and knew the music started singing along.

Man, the band outings sound so much like ours. I suppose randomness and craziness is present in every band, be it the best or the worst band in the world.

Oh and you're going to play at a bullfight! =D You said you love those songs (and so do I) so I suppose you're mega-happy then -- am I right? I just realized you're not going to reply to this e-mail today or even tomorrow because of the band outing, but it's okay -- I can wait.

You know, you said something about having a best friend. That got me thinking -- what if we talk about our friends? Here, let me start:

Devon -- Devon's the funny one in the group. He's always joking around, trying to lighten the mood when something goes wrong in the life of one of us. Like, for example, when our girlfriends dump us -- it's sad how we get. He's also the only one at the band with me -- he plays the trumpet.

Chris -- His real name is Christian, but he prefers being called Chris; he says Christian seems too...angelic. Yeah, right. He's a skater, actually. He's constantly at the skating park, trying to impress girls with his 'art', as he calls it. As you may, or may have not, guessed already, he has no luck -- who does, anyway?

Eric -- Eric is 'the geek'. He's so into Physics and Chemistry that you just want to run away screaming (thinking about it, I think I already did it once). I mean it. That's not healthy, I'm telling you. Surprisingly, girls find him irresistible. They say it's because of the way his fringe falls over his glasses, and the way his shirt is always untucked and large, and yada yada, and it seems so sexy because of the way his fringe falls over his glasses and- Oh I've said that already didn't I? But it's true. That's what they say -- Eric, however, is too shy to 'get it on' with one of the girls after him.

So that's our group, basically.

Anyway, I have to go now -- the guys are here; we're going to the local pizzeria and later to the movies -- just a boys only night out.

Sincerely,
Ryan

---

From: ericxgeek@yahoo.com
To: ryry5567@yahoo.com, devil_xxx666@gmail.com, chrisss378@hotmail.com

Guys,

I NEED HELP!

Some freak has been following me EVERYWHERE. And I really mean everywhere. She's everywhere that I am. I wouldn't be surprised if she followed us to the pizzeria, stayed outside (oh gods, what if she dares venturing
INSIDE??!) and then followed us back to the movies. GUYS, what if she sat next to me? You KNOW I never sit in the middle. She could use that chance to...to... Oh my God! >__< You have to help me!

---

From: devil_xxx666@gmail.com
To: ericxgeek@yahoo.com

Aww, is little Eric scared of some girl?

Get real dude -- enjoy it! The girl  obviously wants a piece of you -- take advantage of it! Dude, you're so geek that it hurts sometimes.

---

From: chrisss378@hotmail.com
To: ericxgeek@yahoo.com

Hey, does that mean you want skating lessons to impress the girl? You know I don't mind *Wink*

---

From: ryry5567@yahoo.com
To: ericxgeek@yahoo.com

Man, just what do you want us to do? Go over to her and tell her to stop stalking you? Man, she'd think we're crazy! Nah, just get over it -- I'm sure it's a passing thing. Now get your lazy ass off the chair and come over to my place so we go to the pizzeria. WE'RE ALL WAITING FOR YOU!!!!

---

From: ericxgeek@yahoo.com
To: ryry5567@yahoo.com, devil_xxx666@gmail.com, chrisss378@hotmail.com

Guys this is not funny :-S You're getting it all wrong! I don't like being stalked, I don't want skating lessons and I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP! Just you wait -- you'll see! The girl must be retarded or something. WHAT DOES SHE SEE IN ME?!

---

From: ryry5567@yahoo.com
To: ericxgeek@yahoo.com

But just how many times do we need to tell you? Girls like 'the way your hair falls over your glasses', and 'the way you hold a book', and 'the way your shirt is untucked and baggy and SEXY' and oh, hold on, I forgot this one -- 'your sexy pose'. Yeah, THAT'S what they see in you.

Now -- COME OVER HERE! The three of us are here already, only you are missing!

---

From: leonor_cutie1123@hotmail.com
To: magda_piccute@gmail.com

Magda!! Cara! I know you'll only read this e-mail tonight or even just tomorrow, but I really need to tell you this! You'll never believe me when I tell you this, but Thiago asked me out!

I know, I know, it's great! Can you believe it?! I've been waiting for this for months ever since he dumped his girlfriend, Melanie!

^^ OMG! Of course, I said yes! We're going out tomorrow night -- he's taking me to a restaurant and then we're going to the movies. Hmm... Just imagine -- me and Thiago, in a dark room, with a bag of popcorns. Me and him battling over a little popcorn...with our mouth...and tongue! ^^ *squeals* It'll be great!

Love you! Hope the outing was good!
Ultra-excited-LEONOR

---

From: ryry5567@yahoo.com
To: magda_piccute@gmail.com

Dear Magdalena,

Well I know you haven't read my other e-mail yet, but something happened and I need to have a good laugh over it. Remember Eric? The geek one? The one who attracts all girls with his geekiness? Well, he's managed to attract one more -- and this one is a hard one.

You see, she's stalking him. I'm not kidding either. She's constantly following him everywhere. Last night, as I told you, we went to the local pizzeria and there she was trailing behind us and then getting in the pizzeria behind us.

Eric kept telling us, "See? I told you! I told you something like this would happen! Now look -- she's even coming here! I TOLD YOU!" He even got to the extreme of saying that she'd try something on the movies, but none of us bothered to listen.

Now I'm stricken as to how much of a bad friends we are. The girl kept looking at him always, never breaking eye contact (yeah, you see, he was so unlucky that the table we sat at, the girl sat at the one in front of it, and poor Eric was right in front of her). We got to the point of switching places, so that Eric was with his back turned to her, but we could see that she STILL kept looking at him.

Then when we paid, we went to the movies. Dark room, you know? So, ever since we became friends and went to the movies that we had the same seats:

Me * Devon * Chris * Eric

Meaning -- the girl had free reign to sit next to him. And what would you know? She did! Poor Eric was terrified, of course. He never understood, and never will understand, that girls see in him, and besides, he's never shown any interest in them. So when that girl sat next to him he felt like dying. He looked at Chris pleadingly, but he was already attached at his phone, messaging every single girl he met, as was Devon.

I, of course, couldn't help him, because if we switched places, the girl would most likely move over and sit next to him again. So he endured the movie quietly, Chris and Devon only paying attention at the most important parts, otherwise occupied with their phones.

I swear I heard a few gasps in between the movie, and I saw Eric jumping a little. When the movie ended, I couldn't even muster up the courage to ask Eric what had happened -- his face was a sickly green and he was trembling all over the place. Sad, I know. I bet he puked as soon as he got home.

Chris and Devon, not having paid attention to Eric, swung an arm around each of his shoulders and asked him if the stalker girl had appeared. Eric's face got even more green and he leaned forward as if to puke, but he managed to keep it inside.

Poor guy.

Ryan


---

From: magda_piccute@gmail.com
To: leonor_cutie1123@hotmail.com

Leo, we've been through this before -- you know how Thiago is like; do you want to be heartbroken because of someone like him? Oh come on. Why do you insist over this?

Look, I know you're not going to listen to me anytime soon, so I'm only telling you something: I hope you know what you're doing. When he cheats on you, or when he dumps you, don't come crying to me -- you know I'll tell you 'I told you so' so why bother?

Magdalena

---

From: magda_piccute@gmail.com          
To: ryry5567@yahoo.com

Ryan,

Well, what can I say? The bullfight was great! People didn't think it so great when the bull jumped in the stands but that's a different story. The rehearsal did last until midnight -- in fact, it lasted until a half past midnight -- and I'm only checking my e-mails now at 3 o'clock PM two days later.

All in all, the outing was good. We had to have lunch at a little park, where we all ordered hot dogs and drank soda. Then when we arrived at the actual place (about five more hours had passed) we ate some more and then we went to rehearse again.

It was the first time of a girl named Clara playing in an outing and she was extremely nervous -- I have a feeling she vomited before performing. She was trembling all over the place and she was extremely pale. She almost dropped her trumpet when she was going to oil it before playing. Poor girl.

I don't remember being a mess in my first concert. I think that's also because at the time I was about eight years old and nothing scared me, except perhaps the boogey man, and even then I'm uncertain as to whether I still believed it or not.

ANYWAY. About the bull. Yeah, the bull jumped in the stands and scared everyone. It was a bit frightening, to say the least, especially since it was headed in the direction of the band and we couldn't stop playing even if the bull attacked us. Not a really good policy, but that's what we were ordered to do.

We had dinner (and a very late one at that) there and then we went back home. We arrived at a half past four AM. Don't you just love band outings?

About my friends...

Well, there's Marsha. She's a really great girl, but people often pick on her because of how short and small she is -- it's not her fault, but what can she do? She's also always there for me and our other friends. For example, she's always there for Leonor, more often than not to tell her that she's wrong.

Leonor -- Leonor is the most... How can I describe her? Perhaps passionate. Yeah that works. Leonor is the most passionate of us. She's always passionate about everything -- school, friends, love, etc. For example, the last thing she's been passionate about is Thiago. Thiago... I suppose you could say he's like your friend, Chris? Yes, I suppose so. He's a skater too, and, like Devon, he keeps wanting to impress the girls with it. Leonor, unfortunately, fell for that. So Thiago was dating this girl, Melanie, but now he dumped her, and he asked Leonor out instead. And Leonor said YES. It's not going to be pretty, especially when she starts defending him when we confront her with the facts. At least we have Julian.

Ah yes, Juliano. He's 'the guy' in the group. He's in the band with me and he's in the percussion (he plays anything in the percussion). Yes, that means he went in the outing with me. Fortunately, he sat next to me, so no girls snuggling into me when I woke up -- just him. Okay, so he wasn't snuggling -- I was -- but still... Anyway, back on topic. Julian is constantly telling Leonor that she needs to stop squealing over Thiago and that ants DON'T need to be saved but does she listen? NO! So Leonor is a hopeless case.

It's just the four of us, really. We used to have Richard, but he moved to Florence -- we still see each other occasionally, but it's become rarer over the months.

That situation with Eric -- oh boy. But how was the girl? I mean, was she that bad? She can't be, right? And look, in the room, I bet she just tried to kiss him. It's how Leonor says -- the two of them in a dark room, with a bag of popcorn, battling over a little popcorn with their tongue and mouth. I bet that's what the girl wanted.

Hold on -- does she even have a name?!

Well, I have to go now -- the group needs to catch up.

Magdalena

---
© Copyright 2007 katrin4p (UN: katrin4p at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
katrin4p has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/543586