*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/546480-NANOWRIMO-DAY-3-NOV-3-2007
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#546480 added November 4, 2007 at 9:34am
Restrictions: None
NANOWRIMO DAY 3 NOV. 3 2007



         So now I know why Nano 2007 is going swimmingly, or perhaps, like a runaway freight train, while Nano 2006 stalled at 21K. This time around I've got a heroine/narrator who never shuts up!





         Mary, 14-year-old daughter of a widowed mother in very rural small-community Alabama in 1911, is a) psychic, b) a magnet for the Dead, c) wryly sarcastic, d) very very voluble. Mary does not stop telling her story any time, even when I'm trying to a) read, b) study my writing coursework, c) grade, d) write something of my own that is not Mary's story, e) sleep.





         No, Our Mary moves right along with or without me. I can't turn her off and I don't think I inspired her to turn on! No, she just appeared in her little filmstrip climbing on to the southern (left-hand) railing of the Old Train Trestle (partially destroyed in the fatal flood of '08) and she and I have been on that runaway train ride ever since: two hoboes sliding back and forth inside an open boxcar, while the train clatters down the tracks to: ???











         Well, clearly not oblivion, because The Dead are always very much with Mary:


her brother, her cousin, her other cousin, her despised wealthy uncle; and very probably her Daddy, although she hasn't revealed that part yet.








         Oh, and the spinster adulterous schoolteacher from the next town down the river, who was choir leader at Mary's Baptist Church. Mary sees her too, and her married lover. They're deceased, of course.





         Yesterday Mary introduced me to the Spiritualist minister that her Aunt has summoned from Birmingham to conduct seances. Mary doesn't like him. I don't think I do either.





         Day 3 Total Word Count: 5992

© Copyright 2007 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/546480-NANOWRIMO-DAY-3-NOV-3-2007