*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551357-112407
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1207566
Musings from my mind
#551357 added November 24, 2007 at 8:00pm
Restrictions: None
11/24/07
Hey Ya'll!!!
Thanksgiving weekend is upon us, as well as the cooler temperatures. Here in Florida, the cooler temps are enjoyable to me. It reminds me a little of winters up in Michigan when I was a girl, but without the snow!

I've been rather ambivalent about this year's holiday season. I just wasn't sure how I felt about it. I wasn't all jolly ho-ho-ho about it, but I wasn't all bah humbug either. I guess you could say I was ho-hum about it. I could see no point in cooking for 3 days a slam down dinner for just Joe and I. I have a sister in a nearby town, but she has her own family. Still, I didn't want to deprive Joe of good Thanksgiving memories, so I worked it out with the donkey that Joe would spend T-day break from school with him. He's got many more family members nearby, and they always get together. I was kinda looking forward to some time alone.

I did make a great pumpkin cake. Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it.

Pumpkin Cake

Crust
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup melted margarine
1 egg

mix well and reserve 1 cup. Press remainder into a 9 x 13 greased cake pan.

Filling
1 16-20 ounce can pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 can sweetened condensed milk

mix well and pour over crust

Topping

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

mix reserved crumbs with topping ingredients and sprinkle over filling.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until filling is firm.
Cool and serve.

I took the cake to my sister's and ate dinner with them. We had a nice time, but it wasn't what I would call wonderful. She had PMS bigtime, and was doing her best to hold it together. Her husband wasn't real helpful or supportive. I could tell that he just wasn't plugged into doing the family thing. As soon as dinner was over, he left to go see his friends, rather than enjoying being with his family. There was a strong, tense undercurrent that we all knew was there, but nobody wanted to acknowledge.

I came home and put on some Christmas music. I was enjoying it alot, and even sang along some. I don't get much time alone, so this was a real treat to me. Last night, I went to my neighborlady's house and she played piano and I sang. It was so much fun. She's such a cool person, and I hope that I'm just as spry and rambunctious as she is when I retire.

I had made arrangements to work a little today and tomorrow to make up for the time I had to take off when Joe had strep. I had enough leave time to cover it, but I felt that I needed to get caught up on my workload. I don’t like feeling like I’m so far behind, scrambling to play catch up. I worked about 5 ½ hours today and will work about 4 or so tomorrow, depending on how quickly I can finish what I’m working on.

As I type this, I’m watching hallmark movies on tv. Last year, I couldn’t have done it, as all the lovey-dovey stuff would have depressed me. I’m not depressed by it this year, at all. I’m actually enjoying it. So what if I don’t have a love like that in my life right now. Would I like one? Heck yeah! I’m just not going to waste my time pouting that I don’t. When the stars line up properly and the universe deems fit, it may happen to me. If it doesn’t, I’m still ok. I’d much rather be single and happy than be in a relationship and be miserable and lonely like my sister seems to be right now.

When I was at work today, I was listening to Michael Buble’s cd called Call Me Irresponsible. I love that cd. I’ve been playing the heck out of it since I’ve gotten it. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes big band, jazzy with a sprinkling of latin music.

Well, that’s about all I got for now. I’m gonna finish this touchy feely movie, play a few computer games, and maybe read a little before bed. I hope everyone is doing well, and is safe, warm and loved.

Thanks for stopping by,
Curls



© Copyright 2007 purtycurls (UN: lmjinfla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
purtycurls has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551357-112407