*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552303-Geriatric-Boppers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#552303 added November 29, 2007 at 12:37pm
Restrictions: None
Geriatric Boppers
If you want to be made aware of just how old you really are, I suggest you attend a concert performance by one of the groups in the charts.

I admit I enjoy a lot of today’s music, played on my home music system at my own chosen volume. On the strength of this, my son bought me two tickets for the Kaiser Chief’s concert as a present for my last birthday. I’ve looked forward to it, although I did have my doubts about hubby enjoying it considering he described their music as crap the last time I played one of their C.D’s. Still, he wouldn’t want me to miss out on his riveting company for an evening. *Pthb*

So, we set off last night to the Nottingham Ice Arena and within minutes were being stared at as if we’d arrived there by mistake. Being surrounded by thousands of nubile, fresh-faced things certainly makes you realise you’re not as young as you like to think you are and may possibly be taken as a relative of Moses.

While the lights were up, we spent a happy half an hour desperately searching for one member of the audience with a grey hair, a bald spot or a wrinkle and it was quite a relief when the show started. In the dark, I can clap, wave and sing along with the rest of them, although I must admit my ears were quivering with the sheer volume. As for hubby: at one stage I turned to observe him nodding off, proof that no amount of decibels would prevent him taking a snooze when the mood strikes.

It was an enjoyable experience on the whole, although after three hours of sitting the aching back, set hip joints and screaming ‘get me out of here’ feet were yet another reminder of this unpleasant aging business.

Hubby had been particularly careful about researching where to park the courtesy car we have at the moment, until our new one arrives. After the airport incident, he’s a little paranoid. Since his trauma with hip replacement operations a few years ago, he’s held a disabled badge which was clearly displayed on the dashboard of the car. So, what did we find on returning to the vehicle after the performance? A b****y parking ticket. Just another little matter to sort out and another letter to write.

So now I can add The Kaiser Chiefs to my list of performers seen live. This century I’ve seen Robbie Williams *Heart*, The Beautiful South, Status Quo, Elton John and Paul McCartney. Last century I saw The Beatles, (several times) The Kinks, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison and The Moody Blues to name but a few.

My love of music and live shows will continue. I hope to be around long enough to see Bon Jovi, James Blunt, The Scissors Sisters, Mika and Robbie once again, even if it means taking along a zimmer frame, bifocals and a hearing aid. At least I could adjust the volume to suit.

So, who have you seen perform live and who would you like to see in the future?



© Copyright 2007 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552303-Geriatric-Boppers