*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552783-Prologue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1355795
A young girl abandoned since childhood searches for her long-last mother.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#552783 added December 1, 2007 at 6:42pm
Restrictions: None
Prologue
Dear Diary,

         What am I to do? My time is coming, I’m sure of it. They told my aunt they would give me extra time in response for her short time. Well, they have. I am no longer nineteen, but twenty-two with a child. I don’t see how I am supposed to just leave Kathleen to fend for herself when I am gone. Oh, this “family tradition” has gone on for too long, but no one has ever been able to defeat it.

Dear Diary,

         I know my time is near. I can sense people following me. It will not be too much longer before they take me away. If only Henry was here, I would not be in danger then. Anyhow, I know what I must do: I must give Kathleen to a family and hope that she escapes the traditions of her past.

Dear Diary,

         I have very carefully been scouting the city. I have found a seemingly nice woman. I have tried not to leave any tracks for them to follow. I suppose I will drop Kathleen off tomorrow. It will be better than her being killed instantly or being taken to an orphanage. Oh, how I hate the thought of abandoning her! However, there really is no other choice. I have decided, thought, that when she’s older, she should know a bit about her past and her mother who has abandoned her. Maybe she will understand. Maybe she could even find me again. I have heard that they tend to keep the victims alive for many years. I can only pray that one day we will be reunited.



She knocked at the door. “Hello. This is my neighbor’s daughter. Her mother has died, and I don’t have the funds to take care of her. Please take her in.”
         The lady looked sympathetically at the child. “I don’t know. I mean, I’m not quite as young as I used to be.” She looked up skeptically.
         “It doesn’t matter. Just please, I don’t know how much longer I myself will make it. Please, take her. She has no other options.”
         “Are you saying…”
         “Yes!” she exclaimed desperately. This was harder than she had imagined. “I don’t know how much longer I will live! My…health is not very good.”
         “You could always take her to an orphanage.”
         “No!” Why was this happening? “I want her to have a good home. Please, for her sake.”
         The lady began to contemplate the matter. The old neighborhood reminded her of how little she had to offer. Then the church bell rang, and pictures of the deplorable conditions of the orphanage appeared in her mind. “Of course I’ll take her. Why don’t you come in?”
         “I can’t. Thank you so much! Here are a few of her things.” She turned around to leave.
         “Ma’am?” She turned around. “What’s her name?”
         “Her name? Um, it’s – Lea.”

Dear Diary,

         Kathleen is in good hands. Hopefully my security actions will hold. No doubt that the enemy will be on the look out for her. Unfortunately, they know I have a child. I’ve noticed that the weather doesn’t agree with her health, so maybe the kind lady will move to another part of Calloda. How I pray she will be able to outwit the family doom!





© Copyright 2007 Kit-Kat (UN: kit-kat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kit-Kat has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/552783-Prologue