*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553557
by Darash
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1357811
A story in a medieval fantasy world. A world inhabited by demons, dragonfolk and humans.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#553557 added December 10, 2007 at 2:38am
Restrictions: None
Nightmares
He was mortified by the sight of the vast army approaching the walls. He saw nightmares becoming real before his own eyes.

“Sir?” asked one of the soldiers:”We await your orders.” Khanos didn’t respond. The air was blackened by the wings of creatures that could only have spawned out of the depths of hell. Creatures only mentioned in legends, or used by mothers when their children don’t eat their vegetables. Vampires accompanied by huge swarms of bats, fierce griffins with wings as large as two men and razor-sharp beaks and beasts which probably didn’t even have a name.

Yet, this wasn’t even the worst problem. The problems were the army on the ground, slowly but steadily marching towards the castle of his youth. There were hordes of disorganized orcs and goblins. Death Knights with black armor reflecting the undergoing sun. Blood red robes of the users of Black Magic and even Titans. Creatures so large and strong that they would break the walls like a wooden fence.

“Sir, we need your orders. You’re the only one who can save us!” Khanos pulled away his eyes from the army before him and began to speak. “Make sure the archers and Red Magicians concentrate their fire on the Titan. If one of them reaches the walls we’re done for. The Blue Wizards need to lay protective barriers around the city; I’ve spotted some Necromancers among their ranks. Clear the way to the hospital. We’ve got no reason to obstruct the Clerics and doctors; they will have their hands full already. Give every man who can fight a weapon, we need to make our stand here. The goblins will probably try to climb up the walls, so meet them with boiling oil. I want two-thirds of the men up the walls, the rest on the ground if they try to breach the gate. For the rest, you know what to do”

The soldier nodded and walked towards the stairs.

Khanos reached for his sword and tested its sharpness. Thoughts flew through his head. Was this really the right choice? He looked at the people surrounding him. All his friends were there. Will I lead them all to a cold grave?

Then, in the chaos of the approaching army he saw his mother. This doesn’t make any sense. Suddenly, he could hear her as if she was standing next to him. “Wake up, my son, wake up”

From what? This is my own choice. I won’t listen to you! I was right all along! The thoughts didn’t silence his mother’s voice echoing in his head. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up…
© Copyright 2007 Darash (UN: darash at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Darash has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553557