*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553559
by Darash
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1357811
A story in a medieval fantasy world. A world inhabited by demons, dragonfolk and humans.
#553559 added December 5, 2007 at 4:36pm
Restrictions: None
The Beginning
I have to warn them.

Keal’Vash wasn’t exactly the person to run from a fight, but a man has to recognize when there is no hope to win a battle.

Why did they do this? Why did they kill my tribe, my friends, my family, my dragon…?

Rage began to take hold of Keal’Vash. The Dragonfolk was widely known for their hostile nature. But when you kill their dragon, it becomes ten times worse. A dragon is not just a pet or mount like some legends may suggest, but it is a companion for life. It is often valued higher than a family member or lover. After you killed a dragon, it’s better to hide in a cave for two-hundred years. This is the life span of one of the Dragonfolk and the time you would be followed so the dragons’ master can have his revenge. But today wasn’t the time to fight and Keal’Vash knew that.

They killed her! They must suffer! No, no. I have to warn the rest of the world for what is coming. Otherwise they will face the same fate as my village faced. What could we have done? We tried everything we could…

Before his people even noticed the demons, they had already breached the walls. Halve of the tribe was already killed before they could even fight back. There was just a small group of warriors with their dragons left at the time they defended the last safe passage for the women and children out of the cave city. Not that it helped them escape. After hearing screams, Keal’Vash went to see what went wrong, only to see Imps feasting on the corpses of his tribe. A few seconds later he felt the normally always present mind of his dragon disappearing, only to be replaced by a strange feeling of nothingness. It could only mean she died, and the last line of defense failed. With a scream, he ripped through the ranks of imps and started to run. He had been running for hours since then, and the demons didn’t stop chasing him. He looked behind him.

They are catching up. I can’t hold on much longer. My only hope is to face and defeat them. But there are so many… If I only had the strength of a dragon.

Thoughts of dragons filled him up with rage again. He drew his bow and placed an arrow in it. He waited until the first row of Imps came in his line of vision.

It could have been worse. Imps aren’t the worst demons around.

That didn’t mean they were. They were had small body’s with relatively large heads. They had large ears and a small set of horns. Their skin was red and had no hair at all. They weren’t physically strong, but they were agile and pretty skilled in fire based magic. They had an even greater advantage; their numbers.

The first Imps seemed surprised when they saw their target standing still. Keal’Vash was surprisingly calm when he saw the killers of his tribe. He pulled back his bowstring, and released his arrow. The arrow flew through the air, seemed to slow a bit in mid-air and split in two, and killed two Imps instantly. The other Imps, coming to their senses, started to throw hands full of fire towards Keal’Vash. He quickly drew a halve circle in front of him. All the balls of fire passing the circle seemed to dissolve. The Imps noticed their enemy was skilled in magic too, and tried to use their other advantage. They started to attack with their claws and fangs. Keal’Vash drew his sword and started what seemed a wild and deadly dance. He deflected a blow of a claw, and sliced the attacker in two. He turned around and hit a second Imp with the hilt of his sword, kicked a third away and planted the blade right between the eyes of a forth. He roared in pain when an Imp managed to hit the unprotected flesh of his belly. Another one climbed on his back and began to bite him. He broke its teeth on the hard scales and Keal’Vash swiped the Imp away with his tail.

It’s not like the dragons didn’t grant me some of their strength, but there are just too many.

He continued his deadly dance, but he knew he had a very little chance of survival.


A shady figure watched the last survivor fighting for his life from behind the trees. He got excited by the smell of blood, but he couldn’t risk his life. Not today. Finally, he heard a load roar, followed by cheering of The Lesser Ones. He looked at the battlefield and saw the formerly survivor literally pulled apart in a sea of red bodies. He picked up his black cloak and putted his two swords back in their scabbards.
They had a lot more to do.
© Copyright 2007 Darash (UN: darash at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Darash has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553559