*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553759-Nervous-Wreck
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#553759 added December 6, 2007 at 6:36pm
Restrictions: None
Nervous Wreck
I was blasted from my sleep this morning by the telephone. Not my idea of the best start and my head hasn't recovered all day. And what a day it's been.

It was my dad on the phone, who seemed to be having some sort of difficulty breathing or moving. We dashed up there and called the doctor. The doc informed us his heart rate was erratic and very slow and he had some fluid on his lungs. So, off we went to the hospital. After tests, he was admitted and is on a monitor awaiting a pacemaker some time next week. Very worrying when he turned a grand 88 last Sunday.

I told my mum I would phone later to let her know what was happening. In the mean time, Mey Ling called in a panic to say she'd dropped a bottle on the kitchen floor, it had smashed and Angel had trod on some glass. So, off we went to son's house. Thankfully, there was no glass lodged in the cut, we managed to stop the bleeding and Angel was smiling again before we left.

On return, I thought I'd better phone my mum before setting off to the hospital again. After three attempts of 500 rings and no reply, I started to panic a little myself. So, off we went to La La Land again. The house was in darkness and my panic reached new heights. After exploration I found her fast aleep in bed and in a state of confusion. I think without dad being there and it getting dark so early, she must have assumed it was late and time for bed. It was actually 6pm and my mum has never been known to go to bed before midnight.

After settling her with the fire and television on and instructions to turn them off before going to bed again and to remember to eat and drink something we set off for the hospital. Dad isn't too good but the nurses were very kind and seem to think the pacemaker will help. One nurse said she would get in touch with social services as the strain of caring for them both is obviously beginning to show on me. How long it takes to get the wheels in motion is another matter and whether my parents will accept they need help a further concern.

In the meantine, my sis has cancelled her appointments for tomorrow and will come over to stay. Mum doesn't seem to think there's a need, but sadly both my parents are too stubborn and proud to admit they can't cope and need help. I can't do it all, especially with the added problems of son and family.

I would very much like to crack open a few cans of very strong lager and sink into oblivion. But sadly again, that is not an option as tomorrow morning I have my first agonising appointment with the dentist who apparently isn't French at all, but South African. Two hours of sitting in a dentist's chair while artificial bone and an implant are put in place, followed by six months of treatment before the tooth is attached. All this and heaven too.

So, I hope you'll understand my lack of joie de vivre. I hope you'll forgive my lack of activity around Blogville for the forseeable future. I will however, endeavour to put the Blogville News together at some stage and I thank all you kind souls who have so generously volunteered to contribute.

All this on top of the Humbug hype. Oh, sod it, I'm having a drink. Tomorrow is another day...who knows what it may bring... not sure I dare think about that. Thanks my friends for being here when I need to offload.


© Copyright 2007 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553759-Nervous-Wreck