*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557285-Lies-to-Flies
by nomlet
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1366126
Entries for the Flash Fiction Holiday Challenge.
#557285 added December 26, 2007 at 10:39pm
Restrictions: None
Lies to Flies
Raisin set the frog on a log and spoke a few words of magic.

"Ok, let's hear your story."

"Well, I come on this flock of sheep up in the high meadows. And, well, they looked like they might need tending so I settled down to wait and see if the owner might come along."

"I see," said Raisin evenly. "And a witch caught you with her sheep, did she?"

"No!" croaked the frog. "It was a young girl who come by. She wanted a bit of wool, to make hair for her doll. She offered some berries and asked if they was my sheep. Well, I said sure, and why not?"

"And?" Raisin prodded. "She was a witch in disguise? You're more fool as man than frog if you didn't see that!"

"No!" protested the frog. "Just a girl, no more!"

Raisin rapped his stick for the frog to continue.

"Next morning the girl's uncle comes up, looking to buy. Marrying off his daughter he says. Starter flock, he says."

"So you sold sheep that wasn't yours, eh?"

The frog bobbled his head.

"Witch got you then, did she?"

"Er, next night. Pokes me out of me blankets, hard, with a stick like yours!" The frog trembled on his log.

"Surprised she didn't cook you and be done."

The frog shifted uncomfortably on his log. "I may have sold off her cook pot to a feller the morning before."

"Ha!"

Raisin tapped his stick thoughtfully against his leg. "So, now there's a wool witch up this creek, and she's minus a cook pot, eh?"

Raisin had a cook pot. Might be he could trade for some witch charms laid on his new staff.

"What about me!"

Raisin quit the frogspeech spell.

"No more than you had coming."

© Copyright 2007 nomlet (UN: nomlet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
nomlet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557285-Lies-to-Flies