*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558329
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1368937
Can a modern vampire accept himself for what he is?
#558329 added January 1, 2008 at 9:00pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Kristof hesitated momentarily, then followed Caterina to her car, a forty plus year-old Mustang that appeared to be in mint condition. Kristof eyed the car appreciatively. It was a white convertible with a black stripe along the bottom of its sides, a black rag-top and black interior. The extra pedal on the floor attested to the presence of a standard transmission, not something Kristof expected a woman to be driving.

“You a classic car buff?”

“I guess you could say that, she belonged to my father. She came to me when he died.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be, he’s been gone a few years. I’ve gotten over it.”

“Tell me the address on your ID.” The car rumbled to life without any hesitation.

Kristof pulled the ID out of his wallet. “Fifteen twelve Twelfth Avenue.”

“That’s actually not far from St. John’s. We’re in the 900 block of Fifteenth Avenue.”

As Caterina drove, Kristof sat in quiet observation out the passenger window. Hoping something would jog his memory. Caterina had just turned right on Hudson when Kristof’s body jolted.

“What’s wrong? Did you remember something?”

“I’m not sure, there was a flash of light and some kind of weird image, but before I could really see it, it was gone. Is this near where the explosion was?”

“No, the explosion was down off Industrial Way, by the river in an abandoned warehouse. The only thing that has happened around here was finding a drug dealer with his throat slashed.’

Kristof’s body jerked again and the blinding flash exploded once again in his head and he could almost see a man’s face, several days’ growth of beard on his face and hollow eyes looking into his mind. Then it was gone.

Caterina pulled the car to the curb and pointed across the street. “That’s fifteen twelve there. I think it’s an office building.”

Kristof reached into the pocket of the black jeans he was wearing and retrieved a set of keys. “One of these should open it.” He said as he maneuvered his six foot two frame out of the car.

Caterina switched the car off and stepped out as well. “I’ll go with you to check it out.”

“You don’t need to. You’ve done enough already.”

“I’m your nurse and I need to keep an eye on you in case you pass out or something.”

The set of her chin told Kristof she was not going to be dissuaded, so with a sigh they crossed the street and opened the office door.

It was a large office. In the center was a huge, antique wooden desk that shone with the patina of years of loving care. Behind it was a black leather chair and two smaller wood and leather chairs faced it.

On the wall to the left was a black leather sofa with smoked glass and wood accent tables flanking it and matching coffee table in front of it strewn with various magazines.

On the right side of the room were a large wooden table and six high-back wooden chairs. A credenza stood along the wall behind the table and on it was a small black refrigerator like you find in a hotel.

A feeling of familiarity washed over Kristof, but no memories came flooding back. He crossed the room, as if by instinct, and opened the refrigerator. It was stocked with small bottles of water, a variety of fruit juice and what looked to be a wine bottle except it was dark brown.

“You look a little pale.” The soft words floated up to Kristof’s left ear. “You should drink some juice.”

“Do you recommend apple, orange or cranberry nurse Caterina?” Kristof asked with an easy smile that made his eyes look smoky.

“You know what they say about an apple a day.”

“What can I get you?” Kristof twisted the top off the apple juice and took a drink.

“I’ll just have some water. What’s the matter?”

Kristof doubled over and Caterina stepped up and placed one hand on his back and the other on his left arm. “Are you ok?”

“My stomach’s just a little upset and suddenly I felt a little dizzy.” Caterina was so near her smell filled Kristof’s nostrils. It was a combination of sweet and spicy and reminded him of something but he didn’t know what.

Suddenly Kristof was filled with a need that was akin to hunger but stronger, almost an ache deep within him. He felt as if his insides were on fire and his skin was burning too.

Once again a savage memory tore at his mind. This time it wasn’t the face of the man with the stubble of beard. This time the face was that of a woman clutching a knife, her face contorted with rage and hatred.

Kristof stepped quickly away from Caterina. “I’m fine now.”

“You don’t look fine. I’ll tell you what, since we haven’t figured out where you actually live, and you look like you’re exhausted and could use a meal, why don’t you come to my place. I’ll cook us a meal and you can crash on my couch.”

“How do you know you’re not taking a big risk by inviting me into your home? What will your husband think?”

“I live alone and I don’t think I’m in too much danger. You’re not in any shape to do anyone much harm.”
© Copyright 2008 Spirit Eagle Song (UN: dorieybarra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Spirit Eagle Song has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558329