*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558970-About-her
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1179471
Meet Kennocha, guardian of the door,must travel to the elven world of Tharndor
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#558970 added January 4, 2008 at 9:21pm
Restrictions: None
About her
         I watched the other witches talking and laughing. I felt out of place even though all had welcomed me, many gifting me with hand-written journals of spells and potions they had used and liked. A few had regaled me with tells of my mother, which I was surprised at how well she was liked.
         “You don’t look as though you are enjoying your party, Kennocha,” Evelyn stood at my side, but did not look at me. I felt that she wanted to say more but was not willing to ruin the festive mood that surrounded us.
         “The party is wonderful and the others have been so nice…”
         “But…” Evelyn turned to look me in the eye.
         “Evelyn, many of them knew her, my mother. To them she was a good witch and friend, but I never knew that woman. It’s hard for me to correlate the person they knew with the one I know. Can someone change so much?” I asked the question more of myself than of Evelyn.
         Evelyn considered me for several minutes, appearing to war with herself as to what she would say before observing, “ Kennocha, often things are not as they seem. Our lives are ever changing, we grow from our triumphs and mistakes. As chapters in a book are meant to bring us to the culmination of the story, the story can be misconstrued if a chapter is missing or we read them out of order. Remember that Summer’s story has several missing chapters for us all, and so we can not truly make since of it until we know more,” she looped her arm with mine and started walking. She steered us out of the meeting area and into a small garden. As we walked along the path, I noted that Evelyn’s gaze was not on the ground but the sky. She stopped us at a small fountain that bubbled quietly, drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly. Wistfully she sighed, “I have always loved the outdoors, especially on the full moon. I feel closer to my Lord and Lady at this time. I remember your mother and I use to camp out under the stars every chance we got. Both of us grew up Wiccan. Your mother was raised by her grandmother, since Summer’s mother died soon after her birth. Alistriona was, as her name implies, a defender of man kind. She was one of the witches that helped to protect earth from the Diodhean during the Avulsion. She was captured. Although the Yaara eventually freed her, she told of having to make a blood sacrifice with one of them in order to seal the Diodhean away. Your mother was proud of her lineage, and often talked of wanting to be as brave as Alistriona. I believe that is why she jumped at the chance to be a gatekeeper. So you see, Kennocha, you come from a brave and honorable line of witches. As I mentioned before, our lives have many chapters, maybe some of this information will help fill in the gaps of yours and your mothers. Always remember to keep an open mind, Kennocha. If we look at the world through a narrow view, we not only miss the wonders of life but are often blind-sided by it.” Evelyn had turned to face me again as she told me of my family. She smiled at me, and nodded before saying, “You, Kennocha, are so young and caring. My Lady will need to watch you closely, so that you remain so,” with that she left me alone with my thoughts.
         I stood there contemplating what she had told me. I never knew about my great- grandmother. I was awed to know she was so brave. I was also afraid that I would not live up to her, since I feared what lay ahead of me. As I considered my awaited journey to Tharndor, my thoughts turned to a pair of sapphire eyes and the elf they belonged to. He had warned me that I would not be accepted by the elven society. Were they prejudice against humans or just half breeds? Even in today’s human societies, the mixing of races is frowned upon, so could I expect anything different from them.
         I started to walk along the outside of the building to my room, mulling over how Evelyn had told me that I needed to learn how to interact in the elven society. The way she had said it, gave me the impression that they were ridged in there ways. The Te’Himear seemed that way, but then the little I knew of military people, that seemed to be a common trait. As I rounded the corner of the building, I walked straight into the being who occupied my mind. So caught off guard by this, I started to fall backwards only to have huge muscular arms rap around me. My nostrils flooded with his smell, a familiar combination of pine and cinnamon. I gasp as I noted how hard his body is against mine. He set me away from himself, saying, “Kuruneese, you need to watch where you are going. There are many dangers about.”
         It took me a minute to register what he said and before I could stop myself, I snapped back, “And are you one of those dangers?”
         He considered what I said before replying, “Not in the way you perceive. I meant only to remind you that the Du’sith are after you and would jump at any chance to get you. Do you know why they want you?”
         “Both you and Evelyn seem to think they are after a way to open the door of the prison to the Doidhean. They may think I have this key. The last time I saw my mother, she talked about watching out for elves. I have to admit, I didn’t give it much credence since I thought she was stoned. She was talking franticly about if these evil beings got free, it would mean the end of the world as we know it,” I was agitated with myself for feeling ashamed that he knew some of how I felt about my mother.
         “Did she give you anything at that time or times previous?” His question again raised my hackles, for I hated letting him know she was never there for me. But I knew nothing of elven society so maybe he would not expect a mother and her child to be close. I turned so he could not see my face since many times I’d been told people could tell what I was feeling by looking at me. “She never gave me anything of importance. In case you didn’t understand some of what Evelyn said in the counsel chambers earlier, my mother hid me from your people and the Elders. She was not around me much. The few times I saw her, she would come and pick me up. We’d go to the store or mall and she might buy me a toy or two. The last time I saw her I was seventeen and in college. I met her a the local mall. Like I said, she talked a lot of what I thought was nonsense…,” I let my words drift off as I recalled in my minds eye that day.
         “Sweetheart, did you hear me. These elves are very dangerous and powerful. I think they are aware of you.” She stopped talking and stared blankly. I touched her arm and she never moved, then as if to someone, she said, “Okay, I’ll be right there.” Then turning to me she said, “I realize this is overwhelming, but you must remember what I’ve told you…” We were walking past gumball machines and toy rides, she stopped. Pulling out some coins from her pants pocket, she fed them into one of the machines. She retrieved the plastic ball and opened it. A cheap metal necklace shimmered out onto her hand, she raised it to her mouth and chanted something I didn’t understand, kissed it and then turned to me. “Kennocha Koisidura Teranika McCallum, keep this safe on you at all times. And when the knowledge is needed, you must find the illusionist at the beginning of the hooked river. Trust her, although she is an elf, she knows our ways and will help you unlock the knowledge,” I felt a tingling sensation when she placed the necklace on me, and then she kiss me on the cheek and was gone. I ran after her, feeling I had missed something. She turned the corner and by the time I made it there, she’d disappeared as if into thin air. Once again, I was left alone…
         “Kuruneese…Kuruneese…
         I came back to the present. The Te’Himear had me by the shoulders, turning me to face him. I noticed that I fingered the necklace that Summer had given me all those years ago. He looked at me, as if trying to read my mind. “Did you remember something?”
         I looked at his hands on me, before saying, “Nothing of importance.”
         He dropped his hands from me as if I had burned him and he moved away. “If you do remember something of importance, I want to be notified at once. Anything that will help us figure out what the Du’sith are after, so we can thwart there plans of releasing the Diodhean, must be explored. Now, Kuruneese, you must get some sleep. Evelyn said she will need the morning to make you ready to travel. I told her I would not be delayed much longer, so be ready to travel by midday or go without.” With that said he turned and left.
         I stood staring at his retreating back, not sure of what to do. I only knew that he disliked that I was half elf and the cause of him having to change his plans. He definitely viewed me as a burden. Confusion filled my every pore, other than Dottie, I wasn’t sure who I could trust.


Lora Nutt

© Copyright 2008 LoraNutt (UN: loranutt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LoraNutt has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558970-About-her