*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/559918-Chapter-TwoAn-Eerie-Feeling
Rated: GC · Book · Horror/Scary · #1366976
It starts with zombies and then gets weirder!
#559918 added October 28, 2020 at 3:22am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two:An Eerie Feeling
As Catherine reached the other side of Huff, she suddenly felt the insane urge to run. Taking deep breaths, she forced herself to walk at a normal, though slightly accelerated pace.

Only eight more blocks to go, don't panic.

When she was about a block from Edgar's, the paranoia reared its ugly head. Her stomach felt as if it was on fire, her breath coming in short gasps. Finally, giving in to the panic, she ran...ran as if her life depended on it. Out of breath, she was relieved to see a couple of guys who had once worked with her ex-husband standing outside the bar, smoking cigarettes.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" John asked, his face showing concern. She felt a little ridiculous.

"I must look like a lunatic, huh?" Catherine could feel her face flushing, as much from the exertion as from embarrassment. "I don't know what's wrong with me, I just panicked."

"Was someone following you?" Bob slurred. She couldn't remember ever seeing the man sober and he certainly was loaded again tonight.

"I don't think so. I just felt like I was being watched...or something. I don't know, guys. I'm going inside. I really need a drink now."

Catherine entered the bar by the back door and stopped short in her tracks. Edgar, the owner, was standing behind the bar. Looking up at the bar clock, Catherine frowned slightly, it was nearly nine p.m.

"Why are you tending bar? I've never seen you tend bar at night."
"Nate called in sick, and I haven't been able to reach anyone else. I'm not feeling too well myself the past couple days, to be honest with you."
"A lot of people have been sick lately," Catherine frowned. "So far, I've been fine, knock wood."
"What can I get for you?"
"Vodka Diet Coke with lime, tall, please. Oh, and a glass of ice water."


Catherine took her drinks and headed over to say hi to Nina who was setting up her karaoke and deejay equipment on the other side of the room.

"Hey, Nina. Need any help?"
"You can set up the laptop if you want. I'm a little behind schedule. Jim isn't answering his phone and I couldn't get ahold of Sean or Paul to help me."
"Damn, that sucks. So, you gotta drive home?"
"Well, I left the dog with Sean, at the house. I could get drunk and we could call a cab...if I can crash at your place?"
"Of course you can. Sure is quiet in here tonight. I can't believe that the only other people here are John and Bob!"
"Yeah, seems like everyone's getting sick lately. I haven't come down with it yet, thank goodness."

Nina turned on the equipment and tested the speakers with AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", as she always did, and then queued up some oldies and country to play while they went out back so Nina could have a smoke. Cathy had quit a few years earlier but still enjoyed sitting outside talking and enjoying the fresh air.
© Copyright 2020 Grandma Penguin needs help (UN: mspenguin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Grandma Penguin needs help has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/559918-Chapter-TwoAn-Eerie-Feeling