*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560660-Chapter-I---Beginnings
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1374190
Love, hate, tyranny, rebellion, war...let the saga begin!
#560660 added January 13, 2008 at 1:26pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter I - Beginnings
19 years after the death of the Empress…

“Oh! Why won’t you cooperate?” Addy said to her reflection.
In front of a mirror sat a tall girl with long, blond hair cascading down her back like a waterfall with the sun shining through its mist.
The face in the glass held deep green eyes, the color the sea right before a storm, encircled by long, delicate lashes that were framed by the curls that hung around her face. The girl wore a robe with intricate designs embroidered upon it and held a silver plaited hairbrush as she so often did nowadays.
“As a princess, I have to look beautiful for the banquet as is a command from my father and your not helping one bit,” she said to the mirror as she sighed.
Tearing at the tangles in her silky locks, she struggled not to scream as she pulled another strand.
“Princess Adelicia? Would you like some help?” came a voice from the doorway.
“Farrah,” she said to the handmaiden,
“This hair just refuses to do anything today! Can you possibly do something with it?”
Farrah walked over the thick carpet of Adelicia’s bedchamber to the mirror where she sat.
“Well, I’ll see what I can do, but you know that we need to hurry and get you dressed. The Royal Banquet of Emperor Orric the third is scheduled to begin in an hour.”
“There is no need to be so formal here Farrah, when it’s just us. I wouldn’t tell on you for not using my father’s full title.” She turned and handed her the hairbrush.
“I know you wouldn’t Princess but there are others who would not be so hesitant if I were discovered. Now let me have a look at that hair.” Farrah stood behind the stool on which Addy was seated and started to brush through the golden, waist length hair.
“Farrah, do you think that it’s fair that today is my nineteenth birthday and my father has a banquet for himself? He hasn’t even acknowledged to me that he remembers. How I wish that I had a father who actually thought I was more than a mere shadow.”
“You just have to give him time Princess Addy. I’m sure that he will give you some kind of remembrance tonight.”
“Do you really think so?”
“I do. Just be patient,” Farrah replied as she laid the hairbrush beside the mirror. Addy stood and danced across the floor to her bed to where her ball gown lay.
“Oh I can’t wait to dance with Stefan tonight! He has become such a wonderful dancer over the course of just three months. This will be my first time to dance with him at a gathering.”
“I’m sure that he is just as excited as you are Princess. I only wish I could be there to see you two grace the banquet room floor,” she said as held up the gown for Addy to step into. Over the last few days, Addy had been trying to decide which dress would suit her best for the occasion. Nothing too fancy because she didn’t want to draw attention away from her father, for that could be a very serious mistake if he was not in good humor, and nothing too plain for it was her birthday and she wanted to be pretty for Stefan too. So after pondering for quite sometime, she had, that very afternoon, chosen a gown intended to be worn for small balls given by nobles and such company. It was made of a dark blue velvet with a short train so one could dance, which she certainly would, and had sleeves that were cut up to one’s shoulder so they draped down to one’s knees. Around the hems of the skirt and sleeves, a tiny silver braid was stitched so all one was a thin line of white and starting at the neck, a spray of little diamonds went down the whole length of cloth. Farrah had swept up some of her hair in small braids and curls on top of her head with diamond-studded pins to hold it up. The rest laid down her back and looked like a gold vale against the blue velvet. Farrah helped her into her silver cloth slippers and slipped on her white gloves that went up just past her elbow.
“You look absolutely beautiful!” Farrah exclaimed as she stepped back to view the final product. She took Addy’s hand and led her toward a full-length mirror that hung on the wall. Addy just looked as herself and exclaimed, “You have done wonders Farrah! Stefan will be so pleased.”
“I think so too my lady.” 
“Though I feel like a primped up horse, getting ready for a parade,” she laughed. “I can’t wait to get it all off!”
Just then there was a knock at Addy’s door and a messenger came in with a letter addressed to Addy. She took it and turned it over in her gloved hand.
“The seal has the royal crest,” she commented to Farrah as she broke it. The letter read:

Princess Adelicia,

This evening you will be presented with a gift from his majesty Emperor Orric the third. Please be prepared at any time though the duration of the Royal Banquet to receive his majesty’s gift.

It was signed with her father’s favorite scribe’s hand. She handed it to Farrah to read herself.
“You see? I told you that if you’re patient, things will turn out write,” She said smiling.
“Yes I know,” she replied as she glanced up at the clock on the mantelpiece of her fireplace. “Oh dear! I’m supposed to go meet Stefan on the balcony so we can go in together!”
Addy hurriedly picked up her white fan and walked toward the door. But before she reached it, it was thrust open by an impatient hand. She stood and stared at the handsome figure in the doorway who gaped at her. He had the same green eyes that Addy possessed and thick brown hair, a little tousled as if he’d been running. He stared at her as he stepped in the door and closed it behind him, never once taking his eyes off his sister’s figure standing there before him. Addy laughed at his silly expression and asked “Well Stefan? Do I meet with your approval?”
He blinked and then standing up straight replied, “You look absolutely stunning!” Stefan replied smiling and Addy could barely make out his dimples in the dim firelight. She laughed again and flung herself into his strong embrace. He stood there for a moment, looking down at the blond heap of hair just below his chin and then held her at arms length.
“I don’t want to muss up your gown. That would be a sad sight. Especially since you and Farrah did such a good job dressing you up!”
“Thank you. It was mostly Farrah though. But look at you!”
Addy surveyed her brother up and down and realized that he wore a suit that matched her gown. The coat was dark blue velvet and had silver brocade sewn into all the seams and the breeches were white. He also wore gloves.
“How did we end up matching? It couldn’t have been by mere chance!” Addy said incredulously.
“I have my sources,” he replied with a mischievous smile.
She pleaded with her brother, “Oh Stefan, please tell me how you knew!” 
“Alright,” he said looking into her bright smile, “I can’t have you pestering me all night. I asked Farrah to tell me what you where going to wear when you had chosen. She came to me this afternoon and I had my manservant Garran help me raid my wardrobe for something that matched. Does that answer your question?”
“Yes. I don’t know why you wanted us to look the same though.”
Stefan took a step toward the door and opened it, “Well, I’ll have time to answer that after the banquet. If we don’t leave now we will be late. And I don’t want to miss what father has in store for us.”
“You got a letter too?” Addy asked as she walked out the door into the passage beyond.
“Yeah, and I’m very interested! Aren’t you?” he closed the door and offered her his arm.
“Oh yes I’m interested. I’m just a little wary that’s all,” she replied and she took it.
“Well, you’ll have plenty of time to be wary after we eat. I’m starved!”
Addy’s laugh sounded through the passage as they walked toward the balcony and their grand entrance.   

 


The banquet hall was very crowded and there was laughter and merriment everywhere. Light filled the room and displayed all the splendor that was to be seen in the banquet hall. There were many high windows that revealed the brilliant stars that shone like diamonds in the night sky. In-between these windows of radiance hung pennants that showed the royal crest of the generations and generations before. At one end of the hall stood the throne on which the Emperor sat and at the other end was the grand staircase. Tables and chairs were lined up next to the walls and were set with fine china and silver goblets. The never-ending servings of food were arranged in the middle of the tables such as roast duck and venison. Pastries and sweets were spread out everywhere and ice sculptures of swans and beautiful maidens looked out over the food. The sound of music drifted through the hall while dukes and duchesses and royalty and noblemen danced across the floor in the middle of the room in their sparkling attire. But as loud as it was, everything became still as Addy and Stefan appeared at the top of the grand staircase. Everyone parted to make an isle down the center of the room as they watched the Prince and Princess walk down the steps, arm in arm, towards Emperor Orric at the end of the banquet hall.
Both bowed low to their father, Emperor of Alionistoe, Self-proclaimed Sovereign of Itheryn, and as Addy’s head dipped, she glanced upward at the once great ruler.
Emperor Orric sat on a throne of gold, inlaid with precious gems like emeralds, rubies and sapphires. He wore a long, flowing robe made of a deep red velvet and around his neck where white ruffles, barely visible under his graying beard. He had fierce molten brown eyes under bushy eyebrows and a large, yet finely chiseled nose that got quite red when he was angry. The Emperor’s mouth was set in a thin line and with a furrowed brow he held a stern expression. As Addy and Stefan rose, the music and merriment resumed.
“My children. I trust you got my letters?”
“Yes your majesty. We are prepared for whatever you have chosen to present us,” Stefan responded with a little nod.
“Good, good,” Emperor Orric replied. As he spoke, his expression never changed from the stern, powerful look pasted on his face. He waved his hand at them and they turned away. As Stefan led her toward a table Addy commented, “I wish he would be softer sometimes. Someone new coming to the Kingdom would think that we were just two nobles and not royalty by the way he treats us.”
“Shhh. I know. I wish the same thing. But father is too consumed with acquiring more power that he doesn’t have time to pay any attention to us,” Stefan replied quietly so as not to be heard by any of the Emperor’s spies that might be listening. He pulled out a chair for Addy and then seated himself next to her. They feasted on venison and tarts until they could eat no more.
“I’m going to find Darin and Ahearn. I’ll come find you later for a dance. Okay?” Stefan stood and looked at Addy for her answer.
“Okay. I’ll let you have the first dance if you like,” she replied with a little smile.
“That would be great! I’ll see you later.” As Stefan went to find his friends, Addy looked around for a few of the girls that she had been friends with since childhood. She saw Caitlyn, Meg and Gwendolyn dancing but instead of claiming them from their partners, she decided to let them enjoy the dance and seek them out later. She went and stood by a wall to wait and listened to the chatter of the ladies gossip. As she was tuning in and out of conversations, she heard a noblewoman say her name. She stepped closer and listened to what a group of four finely dressed ladies were saying about her.
“Did you hear that Emperor Orric is giving Princess Adelicia a gift?” one of the ladies asked, clearly entranced in the subject.
“Yes, but no one seems to know what it is!” said another.
“I’ve heard that it’s a very expensive piece of jewelry and some say that it was even her mothers!” said a third.
“I’ve heard that it’s a husband!” said the fourth. All the women gasped and Addy had a hard time not moving up so she could hear better only be discovered.
“I heard one of the servants talking about the Marquis of Noland being the perspective husband,” the lady continued, looking very pleased with herself for finding something to astonish the others.
“And he is here tonight!” said the first.
“Well it’s about time,” started the second woman, “She is well past the marriageable age!”
“If she were my daughter, she would have been married long ago!” exclaimed the third and all of them nodded in agreement. Just then a gentleman came up and asked one of them to dance. She accepted and the conversation was over. Addy could not believe her ears! She would have never thought that her father would be so bold. She remembered when she was younger about her nursemaid telling her that she was going away because she was getting married. When Addy asked about getting married herself she nursemaid had told her that her mothers wish before she died was that she would marry for love instead of being forced to marry someone her father chose. So what had gone wrong? Why had her father denied her mothers request? She had to find Stefan and ask him about it.   
As Addy set out to find him, she was busily thinking of how to escape the match and at that moment she bumped into…
“Callimar!”
There before her stood a nobleman’s daughter, finely dressed in a peach colored silk gown with light brown hair that tumbled about her shoulders.
“Good evening Princess Adelicia.”
Addy smiled and nodded in return to her friends greeting. Addy and Callimar had been best friends since their childhood and they were still as close as they had been those many years ago.
“I am so glad to see you,” then she added, “Could you not call me Princess Addy?”
“No. This is a formal occasion and I’d get into trouble with my parents,” Callimar replied.
“Oh, right. Well, I have so much to tell you!”
“Oh?”
“Let’s go sit down and I’ll start from the beginning.”
Addy took Callimar’s hand and led her across the stone floor to an isolated bench at the end of one of the long banquet tables and since no one was sitting there at present, they could talk privately. Addy told Callimar about the conversation she had heard earlier that evening and of her mother’s request. “This is very odd indeed,” exclaimed Callimar. “I would have thought that your father… Emperor Orric… would have honored what his wife sought for. There is something wrong here but I can’t place it.”
“That’s just what I think too but…”
“Shhh, Here comes your brother, Prince Stefan.”
They both stood and curtsied to the approaching prince.
“Good evening Callimar,” Stefan acknowledged each of them, bowing his head. 
“Good evening your highness.” Callimar replied.
Addy acknowledged her twin with a nod.
“Callimar, would you mind if I stole Addy away from you for a dance or two?”
“Of course not your highness. I will look for you later Princess Add…. elicia.” Callimar blushed at the mistake she almost made and smiled.
Addy smiled back at her friend and turned to take Stefan’s hand. He led her to the middle of the room and put his arm around her waist and they waltzed together among the other couples. Addy was silent.
“Is something wrong?” Stefan asked with obvious curiosity.
“No not really. I was just thinking,” she replied trying to hide the worry in her voice.
“What about?” he inquired. 
“Well…just that I’ve noticed that you have become a very good dancer in a very short time,” she commented.
“Of course! I learned from the best of dancers… you.” Stefan twirled her around.
“Well, I would hardly call myself the best, though I am good,” she added with a mischievous smile. “But you have excelled immeasurably in your steps and I think that you have become quite better that even I!”
“Oh, I wouldn’t say that. You are my very best partner. Not one of the young ladies here can dance as gracefully as you do. I am very sincere!”
And he was. Addy could see by the way he looked at her in earnest that he was not teasing.
“You flatter me Stefan! But I will not argue with you, though how sorely I am tempted.” Stefan laughed and said “Thank goodness! I would like to see you accept praise for once!” Now it was her turn to laugh.
“Don’t think you’ll get off that easy. We’ll talk more about it later,” she said as she looked up at him.
“Life! And I thought I got out of that one easy. I should have known better!”
They both laughed this time and then danced on silently for a few minutes. All of the sudden, there was a loud burst of noise. The trumpets were blaring and everything became still as all heads turned toward the throne and the Emperor seated upon it.
A steward came forward and declared,
“Prince Stefan and Princess Adelicia, descendants of Emperor Orric, lord over the land of Alionistoe, come forth.”  Addy looked at Stefan who shrugged and started toward the throne.
As the prince and princess approached and bowed, the steward, called Loman, asked them to stand in front of the platform.
Loman then addressed the court.
“As you know,” he said to the crowd of noblemen gathered in the hall, “Emperor Orric the third has summoned you all here for a special announcement. He is to graciously present his beloved children with very special gifts.”
‘Beloved children huh? I wonder if someone else wrote this speech.’ Addy thought, and glanced over at Stefan to see if he had caught it too. She could tell he had because the expression on his face was one of pure puzzlement.
“Today,” Emperor Orric went on, “Prince Stefan becomes a man and Princess Adelicia a woman. So to commemorate this special occasion, I have found a special gift to present to each of them.” He looked at Addy and Stefan and spoke loudly so all could still hear.
“I wish me to convey my feelings for you. I am very proud of you both and love you very much.”
Now Addy knew that he was saying this all for show and he meant none of it. She could make out Callimar, Darin and Ahearn’s faces beside the platform and all three looked very confused. She glanced up at Emperor Orric and he still wore the firm expression, which he hadn’t lost the whole evening. “Now I wish to present Prince Stefan with the post of head general of the Empires forces! And Princess Adelicia is going to be one of my Royal Advisers!” A great cheer went up from the crowd. Stefan and Addy bowed again receded from the platform on which the throne stood. Callimar, Darin, Ahearn, Caitlyn, Meg and Gwendolyn came up and surrounded them with congratulations. There were hugs and handshakes all around as the six friends formed a little circle around the siblings, almost protecting them from being suffocated by the crowds. Just then, Addy realized that she had been holding her breath and let it out in a satisfied sigh and smiled.
“Congratulations to you both,” Callimar said as she put her arms around Addy, “I am very happy for you!” Addy was so happy that she wanted to jump and shout and dance and cry all at the same time and Stefan was grinning ear to ear. 
“Just think,” Addy said to all of them, “think about how I could influence the Emperor!”
“You could do a great deal of good through your father, Princess Adelicia,” Ahearn replied smiling.
“If he would turn from his evil ways,” Stefan added under his breath.
“What did you say?” ask Addy.
“Oh, I just said that I wish we could have finished our dance,” Stefan said in a rush to hide his real words. Addy wondered about his response but had no time to ask because at that very moment, the music started up again and Ahearn was at her elbow as Emperor her for a dance. She blushed and accepted the offer of the tall handsome figure standing beside her. Addy danced first with him and then with Darin and with many other nobles through out the evening. For the last dance of the evening, she danced with Stefan. When the music stopped, they walked arm in arm toward the gate to bid people farewell. Ahearn came up behind Addy and tapped her on the shoulder. Addy turned to look into the blue, gray eyes that were framed by dark brown hair.
“Ahearn! You surprised me,” Addy exclaimed for she wasn’t used to people coming up behind her.
“I’m sorry Princess. I did not mean to frighten you. I just wanted to thank you for giving me the honor of dancing with you. You are very good just like your brother described and it was a great pleasure,” Ahearn replied.
“Thank you, but I’m sure that Stefan exaggerates my talent.”
“No, no I assure you. You dance even better than he says. I think you are the best partner I had all night,” he smiled and she saw there was no humor in his eyes.
“I should like to dance with you at the Christmas ball, if you’re willing to reserve a dance for me.”
“I would like that,” Addy replied, wondering what he was getting at. “I would like that very much.”
“Oh excellent! Well I suppose I will see you at court soon?” Ahearn inquired.
“Yes, I think so,” she smiled.
“Until then,” he took her hand and bent and kissed it. Then he turned, shook hands with Stefan and bid him farewell before retreating into the pale light of the coming dawn. As Addy was trying to shake the feeling of his kiss, Callimar came up to her with tears in her eyes and gave her a hug.
“It’s been a wonderful evening Addy. Thank you.”
“Thank you for coming,” she replied as Callimar’s parents approached.
“Before we left,” said Callimar’s father, “We wanted to wish the prince and princess happy birthday.”
“Thank you very much sir,” Stefan replied. “It was an honor to have you and your daughter come to the banquet.”
“It was an honor to be invited by such esteemed persons as yourselves.” He and his wife bowed and led Callimar away.
“Goodbye Callimar,” Addy called after them.
“Goodbye Princess Adelicia,” Callimar called back. Addy watched as they walked through the large hall doors and disappeared from view.
“Addy, what’s wrong,” ask Stefan who was at her elbow.
“I don’t know when I’ll see her again,” she replied, her eyes tearing up so everything was a bit blurry.
“Come let me take you to your room. I think that you are exhausted from the evening’s festivities.” Stefan took her arm and led her to her bedchamber while the servants scurried around tiding up the banquet hall. They walked up the grand staircase and through the many corridors till they came to Addy’s bedchamber door. That’s when she noticed that Stefan had been unusually quiet. Most of the time, after balls and parties, he talked with her about the dancing and the guests and all the events but tonight he was silent.
“Is something the matter,” she questioned him as she sat down on a velvet chair beside the fire.
“No, nothing in particular,” he replied sitting down next to her, “I was just thinking over the evening and everything that happened.” Addy looked at him suspiciously.
“I think your hiding something. I intend to find out what and as you know Stefan, when I have my heart set on something, I will get it at all costs! So you might as well tell me and then I won’t have to go prying into your personal affairs.”
“Addy,” he hesitated, “I can’t and won’t tell you, not now, and I don’t think you should go looking for the answer. It’s for your own safety,” His brow furrowed. “It could be dangerous. When or if I think it’s time to tell you I will but now is not the time. But I’m worrying you now so set your mind at ease sister. Everything will turn out the way it should. I am keeping you awake. You should get your rest.” He stood, kissed her on the forehead and crossed the room to the door. “I’ll see you in the morning. Goodnight Addy.”
“Goodnight,” she replied distractedly and stood up as he walked out. Stefan’s kiss reminded her of Ahearn’s kiss and she walked over and sat down in front of her mirror. She reached up, pulled out the diamond-studded pins from her hair and let it tumble down her shoulders. As her thoughts wandered to all of the possibilities of the motives for the kiss, she took up her brush and started to comb through the thick golden hair. Farrah came in and helped her undress and pulled down the covers. It was just getting light as Addy lie down under her thick covers and gazed out her window. Her thoughts were in a whirl and she couldn’t tell one from another. First there was the conversation of the four ladies and her husband and then there was the announcement about her becoming an adviser and then there was Ahearn’s kiss and then Stefan’s strange behavior. She had no idea of what to make of it all and as the sun broke over the hills Addy fell into a dreamless sleep.


austenfan92
© Copyright 2008 Katerina de Annika (UN: history.luver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Katerina de Annika has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560660-Chapter-I---Beginnings