*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565368-Chapter-III---Waiting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1374190
Love, hate, tyranny, rebellion, war...let the saga begin!
#565368 added February 6, 2008 at 5:59pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter III - Waiting
Chapter III

Waiting


         Addy awoke to the sound of birds singing in the tree right outside her window. She yawned and stretched her arms high up over her head as she sat up and by the position of the shadows in her room, guessed it was almost midday. Donning her robe, she walked to the window that overlooked the courtyard.
As late in the day as it was, the yard was almost empty except for the few servants that hurried here and there. She heard the faint neigh of a horse and thought how impatient Riona, her mare, would be to take their daily ride. Usually she rode out during the early morning hours, when she could be alone and watch the sun climb over the hills on the plains of Gurwyn on the eastern border. But just because she couldn’t watch the sun rise didn’t mean she couldn’t still ride up to her favorite spot on the cliffs.
She stood there for a minute with her eyes closed, breathing the summer air and feeling the warm sun upon her face. It was then that she heard a soft voice behind her.
“Princess Addy?”
“Yes Farrah?” she replied, turning toward the door.
“Would you like any help dressing?” the chambermaid questioned, stepping into the room.
“Not yet, thank you. I might later. Oh Farrah, will you pack a small dinner for me? I’m taking Riona on a ride.”
“Right away My Lady.” Farrah dipped a little curtsy and moved toward the door, “And I will be sure to have the servants pack some apples for the mare as well.” She smiled and slipped out of the room.
Addy grinned and turned to the task of choosing a gown while Farrah instructed the servants. She opened the wardrobe doors and scanned the gowns inside. Running her fingers over the many colors and styles of fabric she finally found the one she was looking for… a pale yellow, summer gown made of silk and satin. This was her favorite for it had very little lace and no jewels at all. She laid her robe on the end of her bed and slipped the cool fabric over her head. Farrah padded up quietly to Addy and buttoned the dress. Addy then sat at her mirror and once again picked up the silver plaited hairbrush while Farrah returned to the kitchen to retrieve her lunch.
A quarter of an hour later, Farrah returned with a blanket, a basket and a good smell. Addy stood when she entered and peeked inside the basket. She discovered a few pieces of roast duck, a handful of uncooked green beans, broiled potatoes and two tarts. For Riona, there were five shiny red apples and a napkin filled with sugar cubes.
“Thank you Farrah. This is perfect!”
Farrah just offered a small curtsy and set her load on the big, four-poster bed while Addy finished brushing through her long golden hair with little trouble. She pulled on her while stockings and shoved her feet down into her brown riding boots. Pulling on a cloak she looked to Farrah and smiled.
“I’ll be back later!” Then she grabbed the basket and blanket and fled into the corridor.
The castle was silent as was the courtyard. As she entered the royal stables, she saw one copper brown head look up at her. Riona whinnied faintly and pawed the ground, impatient to be on her way.
“Now, now… no need to rush,” Addy said as she walked over to Riona’s stall. The horse shook her head and nudged Addy’s shoulder with her nose. Addy put on the saddle and strapped the blanket and basket to her back. As she led the mare out into the sunny stable yard, Riona pranced around happily like a newborn lamb. Addy swung into the saddle and chided the anxious Riona into a trot.
They rode around the courtyard in a circle once or twice for Riona to stretch her legs and then trotted to the back of the stables. Behind the carriage house was a doorway that led to a narrow path which ran to the top of the cliffs. Addy led Riona rather quickly up the precarious slope. When they reached the top, Addy halted the mare for a moment and looked out at the surroundings of Tyrral. The cliffs rose to a sky as blue as a robins egg and the blazing sun hanging overhead. To the west, the sparkling waves of the Parth’tin Sea. To the east, the green waves of grass over the Great Plains of Gurwyn.
Addy sighed happily as she gazed across the rolling hills of the plains to the Tiro-Nato Mountains in the distance. She dismounted, letting Riona graze, and spread the blanket on the rocky ground beneath her. While she ate, she watched the courtyard far below her come to life. Squires and page boys and chambermaids were scuttling here and there. From her present position so high up, Addy thought the castle looked like a dolls house, with toy people and carriages.
Putting away the remains of her midday meal, she turned her attention to the sea, its foamy waves splashing the large strip of sand below her. Her eyes scanned the waves as she tried to determine where the water ended and where the sky began. After a while, she saw her brother and two of his companions gallop down the beach. Stefan waved to her and, after waving back, she gathered up her things and rode back down the path to the stable yard.
When Addy dismounted, her twin and his friends were waiting for her. She handed a servant Riona’s reigns and walked across the cobblestones to join them.
They all bowed to her and it was then that she noticed with a sinking heart that one of Stefan’s companions was none other than Ahearn himself while the other was a man she had never met before.
“I hope you slept well dear sister?” Stefan, grinning, offered her his arm. She smiled back and accepted it gratefully.
“I did. Very well. And you?” They walked through the high arches that led to the gardens, Ahearn and the stranger just behind them.
“Oh, I slept for a few hours, but the sun woke me and absolutely refused to give me any more rest.” He chuckled. Addy smiled at his jest. Suddenly Stefan stopped.
“Oh forgive me Ionin!” He said to the stranger.
“Sister, I have someone I would like you to meet. This is Sir Ionin. He is a new courtier just arrived from Jeihasp, capital of Cyll.”
Addy’s eyes surveyed the man. He had blond hair, lighter than her own. And his eyes a soft emerald green. Well at least he’s not at all unpleasant to look at, Addy thought.

Ionin bowed, “Your Highness, it is a pleasure.”
Addy curtsied. “Welcome to the Court of Tyrral.” Addy told him and smiled.
They began walking again and Stefan went on to talk of the banquet’s events. They went on this way for a time until a servant appeared, claiming Stefan and Ionin were needed elsewhere.
“Please forgive my leaving so soon. I shall see you both at dinner.” He and Ionin bowed and left them, disappearing among the trees and bushes of the garden. Addy watched them go and then reluctantly continued to walk down the path again, Ahearn falling into step beside her. For a few moments, the only sound was their footsteps on the rough stone but then Ahearn spoke.
“May I be so bold as to say you look stunning today Princess.” He smiled and looked down at her tenderly. She blushed slightly and resisted the urge to bolt. “Thank you,” she faltered. When she said nothing else he continued.
“Would you give me the pleasure of accompanying me to dinner this evening? I leave tomorrow for Feineon on business and would so much like to spend my last evening here in your company.” He looked down at her again, his grey blue eyes questioning. She hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to accept or decline but protocol ordered she must accept so she nodded.
“I would love to. Thank you.” She glanced at him a bit reluctantly and then turned her attention to the ground in front of her. At that moment, Farrah appeared.
“My Lady,” she said, curtsying, “You have been summoned to dinner by King Orric.” Addy nodded and dipped a slight curtsy to Ahearn.
“Please excuse me.” She turned to follow Farrah’s small figure but Ahearn caught her hand and pressed it to his lips.
“Until tonight… My Lady.” He straightened but did not release her hand. Her first impulse was to slap him but she clenched her teeth together and made herself smile. Not trusting herself to speak, she just withdrew her hand and nodded.

“My Lady?” Farrah’s soft voice was heard from behind. Addy turned abruptly, her teeth still clenched, and walked away, Farrah close behind.
She returned to her room to find a note from Stefan waiting. Relaxing her jaw, she sat down and stared at her name written across the front of the paper in her brother’s careless handwriting. ‘I don’t know if I can go through with this tonight’ she thought. Sighing she picked up the note and broke the seal. It read:

My Dearest Addy,

I know the King has summoned you for dinner this evening but I implore you, do not go.

Addy stared at the words scrawled on the cream-colored paper, her eyes wide. She read them again and yes, they said the same thing. ‘What on earth could this day bring next’ she thought, her mind whirling with curiosity. She shook her head and read on.
         
Just trust me, it is for the best. Send a message to him that your feeling ill and you will be pardoned.

                                                    Your Brother

                                                                        Stefan

Addy folded the paper slowly, thinking about the strange message. Farrah emerged from the wardrobe, carrying a gown of brown silk, trimmed in pink lace and looked toward her mistress.
                   “Princess… your gown is ready.”
Addy turned to her and shook her head.
                   “I don’t think I’m going to dinner tonight.” Farrah gasp.
                   “But My Lady,” she began in protest.
         “Please Farrah. Send them a message that I’m not feeling well.” Farrah stood for a moment, frowning and then returned the gown to its place in the wardrobe and slipped quietly out the door to deliver Addy’s message.
         Addy stood there for a moment, thinking and then a smile lit up her face. This means I can’t go to dinner with Ahearn tonight, she thought, and with a little laugh, took up her pen and began to write. The letter read:

                   Sir Ahearn

I regret to inform you that I will not be joining you for dinner this evening. I wish you a safe journey and good health.

                                                    Princess Adelicia

She reread the short note and then neatly folded the paper, satisfied with it. Poking her head out into the corridor, she caught Laerst passing by.
         “Laerst,” she called, “Would you take this to Sir Ahearn for me please?” She handed him the note. He nodded and bowed.
         “Right away My Lady!” She thanked him and returned to her chamber. Then grabbing a book, she threw some pillows on the floor by the fire and snuggled down to read. The hours flew by and for a while, the only sound to be heard was the rustling of book pages and the ticking of the clock on the mantle piece. Addy hardly noticed the light in her room growing dimmer until she heard a soft knock.
         “Come in,” she called, folding down the corner of a page and looking toward the door. It opened and Stefan stepped in, grinning.
         “I thought you’d be reading,” he said, walking over to her. She smiled.
         “What else is there for me to do? Since you have forbidden me to go to dinner, I must content myself here.” Stefan offered her his hand and helped her up.
         “So you must. I would not have you boring yourself,” he laughed but then his face became solemn and he took her other hand. “I have bad news for you.” Addy looked at him, concerned.
         
“What news,” she inquired.
         “I am leaving tomorrow morning for Feineon.” Addy frowned.
         “But I thought you said you didn’t have to go,” she protested. He smiled faintly and squeezed her hands. “I didn’t think I had to at first but as it turns out, the business cannot be resolved by Ahearn himself. We’re leaving very early so I just came by to say goodnight and goodbye.” He pulled her into a strong embrace and then, with one last squeeze, he retreated to the door.
“Stefan?” He stopped and turned toward her.
         “Yes?”
         She faltered a moment and then asked, “Why did you ask me to refrain from going to dinner tonight?” He sighed and ran his fingers through his unruly brown hair.
         “I... I can’t tell you now. Father proposed something today and it involves you. I don’t like it so I’m going to try and persuade him otherwise.”
She came toward him and raised an eyebrow. “Proposed what?”
He smiled and put a hand on her shoulder. “I told you, I can’t tell you now. I will when the time is right.” He smiled down at her and opened the door.
“How long will you be gone,” she asked. He again turned back to her, his hand still on the door handle.
“We should be gone about a week. I think you can keep yourself occupied with those books until my return eh,” he grinned. She laughed and nodded.
         “Of course! Goodbye. And safe journey!”
“Goodbye dear sister,” he smiled and then turned and fled. She smiled and, after he had gone, added, “May God be with you.”


        .              .              .



The next few days it rained. The sky stayed cloudy, the ground remained wet and soggy and the castle felt damp and dreary. Addy passed many hours snuggled up in the library, her nose stuck in a book. Reading was one of Addy’s favorite ways to pass rainy days. In those pages, she could lose herself and escape from all of her problems.
The library contained a large variety of books, its shelves rising to the high ceilings. It had a very large fireplace and many secluded areas to read among the bookshelves.
Addy’s favorite books were of plays and ballads but she also read stories of adventure. The only thing strange about the library was that one could not find a single book about the history of Alinon. Addy was told that they were removed after Queen Taeriun died.
The next week found Addy in the library every day. Oftentimes she was reading but there were also times when she wrote in her small journal. Stefan had given it to her on their fifteenth birthday and she had treasured it ever since. It was a pretty journal she thought. Leather bound with a single emerald set in the front cover and gold inlaid around the edges. Many times she thought of selling it or trading it for other important books but when she had almost made up her mind, she found she could not part with it. So, she kept it hidden beneath the feather mattress of her bed and took it out only when no one was looking. That journal was her only good company that long week.
The days passed and the castle was quiet. There were no grand parties or banquets or any company at all. Even court was postponed until the Prince’s return which meant she saw little of Sir Ionin.
What she did see of him she liked. As was custom in his country, he almost always had his servant Aidan, shadowing him which made it hard to have a private word. But she could now recognize Aidan, a tall gangly boy of about thirteen, by sight and could follow him to his master if ever she were bored. Sometimes she caught Ionin at the practice yards behind the stables and they had a merry duel which always ended in Addy surrendering. She enjoyed his company immensely and looked for every opportunity she could to see him. 
One evening, Addy was returning to her room from just having supper when she noticed Aidan’s slim figure turn the corner into the corridor of the court’s chambers. She quietly continued up the stairs and arrived at the top just in time to see the lad walking quickly to his master’s chamber, his red haired head bobbing as he went. She noticed something white flutter to the ground from his hand and since he did not stop, she hurried to pick it up.
It was a letter addressed to Sir Ionin but she didn’t recognize the handwriting. Turning it over, she saw the seal contained a strange bird, not familiar to the Alinon country. For a moment Addy considered opening it to see what her new friend was up to but then scolded herself for her curiosity.
“Aidan!” she called. “You dropped this!” The servant turned and hurried back to fetch the letter.
“Aidan, has there been many letters delivered to Sir Ionin bearing this seal?” she ask, her curiosity overwhelming her.
He hesitated and then nodded, “Yes My Lady. I have delivered them to him many a time. He tells me that they are of grave importance.”
Grave importance, Addy thought. What is he up to?
She nodded. “And how long have you been delivering these letters to him?”
Aidan looked thoughtful and then replied, “Almost 3 months My Lady.” Addy could see the curiosity in his deep blue eyes and she smiled.
“I just have never seen this seal in Alinon before and was curious. You may continue.” The boy nodded and returned to his master’s chamber.
Finally the day came and with it, the sun. Addy was up at first light and waiting at her window, overlooking the courtyard. She refused to leave, even to eat so Farrah was forced to bring her breakfast to the Princess’s chambers. Addy ate very little and never took her eyes from the courtyard gate.
As the sun climbed higher, she saw many peasants and servants come and go but there was still no sign of her brother. After a while, she became restless and left the window to pace about her room. Later, Farrah entered to find her walking in circles, jumping at every sound that came from the window and suggested that she go to the library and read some more. Addy reluctantly agreed and fled once again to her books.
Time passed quickly while she was reading and finally, she noticed that the shadows were growing. The blazing orange sun was dipping into the Parth’tin Sea and the sky had become a great canvas with colors of yellow, pink and red painted across it. With a sigh, she closed her book and returned to her chambers. Dropping the book on the end of the bed, Addy grabbed a cloak and was putting it on when there came a soft knock at the door.
“Come in,” she called and Farrah entered. “Farrah,” she continued, “I’m going to the chapel.”
Farrah nodded and dropped a little curtsy as Addy retreated out the door. Choosing the little used rout, Addy crept through the maze of corridors and staircases. She arrived at the chapel yard unseen. Slipping through a side door into the stone building, she looked up at the high ceiling of the place she had always considered her real home.
The chapel had always been a place of peace and quiet for Addy. With its stained glass windows and straight-backed wooden pews. As long as she could remember, the chapel had been void of a priest or any other kind of clergyman. It was now inhabited only by dead leaves, the whistling wind and an occasional bird or two during the winter. Abandoned the day the Empress died, King Orric had forbidden anyone to enter it again, but Addy ignored the prohibition and went there secretly ever since she was a child.
Addy found solace in talking to God. Sitting in the front pew, she bowed her head.
“Dear God,” she prayed, “Please help my father and Stefan to come to the light. Open their eyes so they might see the truth that can be found only in you Lord. Give me the strength to follow you through whatever trials may come on my path. Lead me in the way of righteousness that I might be pleasing in your sight oh Lord.”
         
        .              .              .


Stefan's footsteps echoed down the dimly lit corridor. As he walked down the hall towards the royal chambers his eyes were drawn to the Great silver doors. He shivered. Those doors had once been open to admit the Emperor and his wife, Taeriun, but had since been closed. Emperor Orric had ordered them to be sealed for all time after his wife died. Stefan's green, gold-flecked eyes traced the intricate designs of fabled architects and carvers gracing the silver inlaid door. He almost missed the door he wanted to enter. Its beautiful golden wood door opened at his touch. To his surprise, Farrah was in the room, tidying up.
“Your Highness,” she exclaimed, her face betraying a bit of surprise. Stefan nodded to her and scanned the room.
“Where is Addy?”
“She umm,” she faltered, “I’m not sure sire.” Stefan nodded and sighed in frustration at his sister’s disappearance.
“I see. Do you have any idea where she might be?”
“In the library?” Farrah shrugged and returned to her task. Stefan shook his head. “I looked there on my way here.” He thought for a moment and then turned toward the door. “Thanks anyway,” he called as he retreated again into the corridor beyond. He stood there for a moment and then moved to one of the windows overlooking the gardens. Dark clouds loomed over the sea and the smell of rain was in the air. The moon was rising, casting a pale glow on the city and its lone chapel tower. ‘The chapel! Why not? She would find solitude there, being a forbidden quarter.’ A slight smile crept over his face as he disappeared back down the corridor.
After weaving through countless passageways and down many staircases, Stefan came to the chapel yard. Standing in the shadows of an archway, he surveyed the area cautiously. If caught entering a forbidden area, it could cost you your life. Seeing no one he hurried to the large, oak wood doors. Finding they were bolted shut, he went around the side of the stone building and found an open side door. Taking one last look behind him, he slipped inside and stood there by the open door, looking around.

He had never been in the chapel but once a long time ago. It seemed that it hadn’t changed except for adding a few more dry leaves to the floor. Addy was sitting in the front row of the pews, her head bowed. He started to quietly close the door but a gust of wind ripped it from his hand, slamming it shut. The noise echoed through the drafty hall and Addy whipped around in her seat. At first she just stared at him, confusion on her face. Then, with a small squeal, she jumped up and ran to him, flinging herself into his embrace. He laughed and gave her a little squeeze.
“Stefan! Where have you been? How was your journey? Did you see Princess Neladai? What was Feineon like? How did you find me here?” She pounded him with questions. He laughed and tugged a strand of her long blonde hair.
“Whoa! One question at a time! Now, let me answer what I heard,” he led her to the nearest pew and they sat down. “We were delayed on the road back. Some trouble with gypsies. But besides that, our journey was fine, except for the rain. No, I did not see the princess, though we were scheduled a visit with her, she was detained and could not receive us. Feineon was beautiful and I hope we can go there together someday! And as to how I found you, I guessed you were here after I couldn’t find you in the library and I guessed right!” He grinned. She seemed satisfied with his answer and smiled.
“Well, I’m glad your back!” He nodded and stood, pulling his sister with him.
“Perhaps we should be getting back now. They might miss us.” Addy nodded and led the way out of the chapel.


    .              .              .


Stefan bade Addy goodnight at her door and retreated down the hall. Back in her rooms, she draped her cloak across a chair and was warming her hands by the fire when she noticed a note on her desk. Taking it to the fire for more light, she instantly recognized the handwriting and broke the seal. The short letter read:

Princess,

    Tomorrow. Same place. Sunset.

                            The Sparrow


austenfan92
© Copyright 2008 Katerina de Annika (UN: history.luver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Katerina de Annika has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565368-Chapter-III---Waiting