*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565785
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1374190
Love, hate, tyranny, rebellion, war...let the saga begin!
#565785 added February 6, 2008 at 5:58pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter V - Courtiers
Chapter 5


Courtiers




         The sun was setting over the Parth’tin Sea. Shadows bathed the castle in darkness as Addy slipped away from the table. Supper was over and the court would now become immersed in politics which kept her absence concealed.
Retreating to her room, she found Farrah had already laid out a plain servant’s frock and a cloak on the bed. She slipped out of the cool silk gown and pulled on the rough cotton dress. Farrah helped her braid her hair and twist it into a bun at the back of her head.
Looking in the mirror she remarked, “I hardly know myself in this dress.”
A smile touched Farrah’s lips. “That’s the idea My Lady.”
Addy grinned and tied the cloak around her. Shoving her feet in a pair of rough brown leather shoes, she threw the hood up over her head and looked to Farrah. “I should be back by midnight. If anyone asks for me, tell them I went off to read.”
Farrah nodded. “Yes My Lady. Be careful!”
“I will.” A smiled played on her lips and she fled into the darkened corridor.
Weaving through little used passages and staircases she stopped abruptly when she heard two men’s voices. One she knew to be a courtier’s voice by the way he spoke, so carefully and smoothly. The other she assumed to be a servant. What gentleman would be meeting a servant now and not discussing politics with the other courtiers?
She poked her head around the corner and to her surprise, she found Ionin standing there. His companion, a hulking mass of muscle, was cloaked but she could see that he was definitely not any servant of the palace.
They spoke in soft voices and no matter how hard Addy strained to hear them, she couldn’t make out what they were saying. The cloaked man sounded angry, his rough voice getting impatient. Ionin spoke in reassuring tones and his companion seemed to calm down. Then out of the cloak, the stranger pulled out a folded piece of paper with no seal. He gave it to Ionin and just as he was about to speak, his head snapped in her direction. Addy caught a glimpse of golden eyes before she ducked into the shadows. Unsure if they had seen her, she crept back the way she had come and took another rout.
Making it to the lightless courtyard unnoticed, she paused in an archway, scanning the space ahead of her. Seeing no one, she dashed out into the shadows only to bump into yet another man. “Mph.” What is it this evening with all these men prowling around in the dark?!?
She stopped and looked up into the chestnut brown eyes of an unfamiliar face. She identified him as nobility immediately but everything else about him was strange. He was tall and possessed reddish-brown hair. His handsome features looked at her curiously. It was then she realized she was staring.
“Uh… I… forgive me sir.” She dropped a small curtsy.
He smiled… a kind, warm smile. “Oh ‘tis quite alright. But are you hurt?”
She shook her head. “No sir. I thank you.”
He nodded. “Uh… please forgive me. I am Sir Elmark of Dynon.”
Addy dipped her head and then realized that she was in her servant’s clothes. He thinks me a servant, she thought. Well I won’t give him my full name. Hopefully we won’t meet again.
“My name is Addy. But please Sir Elmark, if you will excuse me, I am in a terrible hurry. An errand for my mistress.”
Elmark stepped aside. “Oh by all means! I hope I didn’t make you too late.”
Addy smiled a little. “I’ll be fine. Thank you.”
Again she curtsied and then tried her best to walk across the courtyard to the gate. As soon as she was out of sight, she broke into a run. The moon had appeared over the cliff and its light was just enough for Addy to navigate her way through the cobblestone streets but she could still hide in the shadows. Following the palace wall, she came to a small door that led to the catacombs. Knocking three times, she glanced around and seeing no one, knocked again, once. The door opened and she quickly slipped inside.
“We were afraid you wouldn’t make it! Did you have any trouble?” Pheran came over to her and took her cloak, his emerald green eyes showing concern.
“I bumped into a courtier on my way out. Thankfully he was new so he didn’t know who I was.” She smiled at her friend.
Pheran breathed a sigh of relief and a lopsided grin split his face. Addy gripped his hand and then looked around. The small room in which they were standing held only a table and a few chairs. On the table was a bible and a few candles. There were about 15 peasants gathered around with some of the elderly sitting in the chairs and some children standing against a wall.
Pheran stepped up to the table, drawing Addy up beside him. “Shall we begin the service?”


          .                  .                  .


Addy awoke to a hand shaking her shoulder.
“Addy… wake up!” Stefan’s voice pierced through the fog of sleep. Addy rolled over and rubbed her eyes. “What time is it?” 
  Stefan grinned down at her. “It’s past dinner! Where were you last night? I was looking for you everywhere!”
Addy sat up and stretched. “I was reading. Why?”
Stefan looked a bit annoyed. “There is a new courtier I am to introduce you to. He arrived just last night and of course by then you had disappeared.”
Addy’s ears perked up. “A new courtier? What’s his name?”
“Sir Elmark. He is from Dynon and he will be staying with us for quite some time. You will meet him tonight at supper. Father is having a dance in his honor as well.” He stood and walked toward the door. “I suggest you get ready sister. I think you will want to look your best.”

Addy glared at him and as she opened her mouth to reply, he laughed and closed the door behind him. She sighed and swung her feet to the floor. She slipped on her silk slippers and padded to the wardrobe. Finding two dresses she thought looked best on her, she laid them both on the bed and then stood staring at them, debating which to wear. Farrah entered after a few minutes and put an end to her controversy by suggesting the light blue gown with silver ribbon around the edges and long flowing sleeves.
An hour later, Addy descended the large marble staircase on Stefan’s arm. Below her, all the court stood staring at her, some smiling in approval and some glaring in jealousy. But one face stood out from them all. Sir Elmark was standing just at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at her with frank admiration.
As they reached the bottom, Stefan dropped her arm and spoke to Elmark. “May I present my sister, Princess Adelicia.”
Sir Elmark smiled a smile Addy knew full well, and bowed, “Your Highness.”
Stefan then turned to her. “This is Sir Elmark.”
Addy smiled. “A pleasure Sir. My brother and I are very pleased to have you join our court!”
Just as Stefan was about to say more, a young lady appeared at his elbow, smiling timidly. Stefan took her arm. “Oh Adelicia, I am promised to Miss Claire. I hope you do not mind!”
Addy was about to reply when Sir Elmark jumped in. “You know Stefan, I was just going to ask if I might escort your fair sister to supper… if that is agreeable to her.” His gaze rested on Addy’s striking blue eyes.
She blushed and offered a shy smile. “I would like that very much! Thank you!” She turned then to Stefan. “I will see you later.”
Stefan nodded and walked through the crowd, Miss Claire on his arm. Addy smiled at her brother and turned back to Elmark who was still gazing at her.
A smile played on his lips as he spoke, “I believe we have met before Princess…” Addy blushed and nodded. “I was hoping you wouldn’t notice.”

Elmark offered her his arm and led her toward the banquet hall, speaking softly. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone. But what I would like to know is what was a princess doing out so late in servant’s clothes? And running no less!”
Addy looked at her feet. “Let’s just say I had a favor to do for a friend of mine.”   
Elmark nodded and grinned down at her. “I will be satisfied with that.” Addy smiled timidly back and then looked into the banquet hall just in time to see Ahearn coming toward them.
She quickly whispered to Elmark, “Please don’t give me away to Ahearn.” She wanted to say more but her foe was upon them, bowing to her and Sir Elmark.
“Princess Adelicia… Sir Elmark.” He turned specifically to Addy. “I have sought you out this evening in hopes that I might escort you to dinner.”
Addy smiled at him a bit helplessly when Elmark cut in. “Sir Ahearn, you will have to excuse us but I have already claimed the Princess’s arm this evening. I need someone familiar with the court to show me its ways and her Highness has graciously volunteered.”
Ahearn smirked, “Very well. I should hope to speak with you later your Highness.” Again he bowed to Addy and then left without another word.
Addy let out a sigh. “Thank you!”
Elmark nodded, looking a bit confused. “Of course your Highness. But is there some particular reason you should not want to be in his company this evening?”
Addy faltered, trying to think of the right words. “Ahearn and I… we don’t really mix well though he thinks we do. And it doesn’t help that he is after my hand in marriage.” A smiled played on her lips.
Elmark laughed heartily, “Well I can certainly understand that. And if he’s after your hand, then I am glad I could come to your rescue My Lady.” Addy blushed and they continued to the supper that awaited them.
Elmark stayed by Addy’s side through the whole evening which kept Ahearn at bay. They ate together, danced together, talked together and laughed together. Addy thought that he was probably the most charming man she had ever met. Just as she and Elmark came off the dance floor from the last waltz, Stefan approached them.
“Addy! Have you shown Elmark around the castle yet? If not I should take you away from him myself for I have many things I would enjoy showing him.” Stefan grinned at Elmark.
“Well, I…” she began when Elmark cut in. “We were just on our way Prince Stefan.” Addy nodded and thought to herself, I like his quick thinking.
Stefan, looking a bit disappointed, nodded and disappeared into the crowd to find one of the many court maidens to flirt with.
“So would you show me around the castle?”
The voice was Elmark’s. Addy smiled up at him. “I would be honored!”
They walked around for quite sometime and Addy showed him all the important places. The throne room, the library, the court’s chambers and so on until they arrived back at the marble steps from which Addy first came.
Addy turned to him and curtsied, “I do believe I shall retire now if you don’t mind. Thank you for a wonderful evening Sir.”
Elmark’s face broke into a grin. “Please, call me Elmark.”
Addy looked up into his brown eyes, “And you may call me Addy.”
He took her hand and kissed it lightly. “Goodnight… Addy.”
She blushed and walked slowly up the stone steps. Reaching the top she turned and found he still stood at the bottom, watching her. She smiled and retreated to her room. It was only then that she realized she had not seen Ionin all night. I need to talk to Aidan, she thought.


      .                  .                  .


The rest of the week, Addy thought, was very tedious and dull. She went on her usual morning ride with Riona and then became trapped in the court setting for hours on end, King Orric asking for her advice but never taking it. Her evenings were spent at parties and banquets, many of them she was escorted by Elmark which gave her much pleasure. They had many good conversations together and Addy enjoyed every moment with him, half for his company and half because he kept Ahearn away.
After yet another dinner with Elmark one evening, she caught Aidan in the hall on the way to his master’s room.
Drawing him aside she whispered, “Is there a letter bearing the bird seal?”
Aidan scanned the mail quickly and held up a letter. “There is one My Lady.”
“I’d like to ask you a favor. Every time your master receives one of these, bring it to me after he reads it. Can you do that?” Aidan nodded.
“Very good. You may proceed.” The servant nodded and again started toward the chamber door.
“Oh, and lets keep this to ourselves.” Addy handed him a gold piece. “For your silence. And you will receive a silver piece for each letter you bring me.” Aidan stared at the gold piece for a moment and then nodded vigorously. “Oh yes My Lady. Not a word!” He then hurried away and Addy smiled with satisfaction as she returned to her chamber.
The next morning, while Addy was dressing for court, Farrah entered her chamber and handed her a letter. Turning it over she realized that the seal had already been broken and the wax held the strange bird. So this must be the letter I saw yesterday.
“Master Aidan is waiting outside the door, mi’ lady. He says he’s to wait for his pay.” Farrah looked at her mistress in puzzlement, waiting for further instruction.
“Oh of course!” Addy went to her writing desk and pulled a leather bag out of a drawer. Out of the bag, she gave the chambermaid a silver piece. “Give this to him and thank him for me.” Farrah nodded and did as she was told.
As soon as she had left, Addy sat down and opened the letter. It read:

Lord Ionin,

As this is a routiNe lEttEr on the affairs of the estates, I regret to inform you that we are not Doing as well as hoped or needed.
Our crops are IN jeopardy, due to Few raiNs and many raids. The peOple aRe in need of food. It has been suggested that we open our store houses to the comMoners. But there Are may objecTIONs from the lower barons and knights. That, as well as the needed CONsenT of An eligible male in your family, has led to the Conveyance of This request:
To pleaSe Open the stOrehouses, aNd to find a solution, at least temporary, for the sad state of affairs here at Gaerafyd.


Respectfully,

Your humble Servant and Steward, Kamelin Ansfreid


Addy read the letter twice, a bit baffled. She had suspected some kind of treachery or secret business involving the inevitable supplanting of the crown. She began to read the seemingly harmless letter again when she noticed that there were some capitalization mistakes. Or were they mistakes, she thought, her mind whirling with possibilities. Could it be some kind of code?
            Before she had time to put her theory to rest, Stefan burst through the door, interrupting her thoughts.
“You’re not even ready yet,” he laughed, but then noticed the letter. “What’s this? Some kind of conspiracy against me?”
Addy grinned in amusement. “A conspiracy?! Heavens no!” At least I hope not. “It’s private.” She shoved the letter into a drawer at the desk and returned to her vanity. “I’ll be ready in a few minutes.”
The lopsided grin she loved so well appeared on his face. “Good. I’m anxious for you to hear what the court has to say about the ambassador trip!”

This perked Addy’s interest. “And what did they say?”
Stefan leaned close to her ear. “Well, they said…. I can’t tell you because they are supposed to tell you formally this afternoon!” At this he burst out in a new round of laughter and this time Addy joined with him, pushing him away from her ear.
“Two minutes,” he called as he left her chamber. She sighed happily and returned to her mirror to finish getting ready.
Addy had been sitting for two hours, listening to peasants complain and her father scold them harshly. Nothing had been said about the trip Stefan was to take to the surrounding countries. After a third hour of hearing any suggestions from the court on the betterment of the country, everyone retired to the midday meal. Addy had just been seated when Zachariah, another adviser, stood and hushed the courtier’s chatter.
“Friends, as you know there has been great debate as to who will go on the fast approaching ambassador trip. King Orric, myself and my fellow advisers have discussed many potential courtiers to make the journey.” Addy held her breath.
  “After much thought and meditation, we had decided that Prince Stefan would be adequately suited to make such a journey.” Lowering her eyes, Addy stared at her hands in disappointment.
“We have consulted him,” Zachariah continued, “and he has agreed on one condition. That he may take one companion of his choice with him.” Addy’s head snapped up as a hope filled within her. Did he…? She knew she shouldn’t hope as she did. He could have very well chosen Sir Ahearn or Sir Elmark or even Sir Ionin. The possibilities were endless. 
She glanced to her left where she could see the eager look on Ahearn’s face. The adviser began again, “After much consideration on his choice, we have agreed that Princess Adelicia will accompany him.”
Addy breathed a sigh of relief and grinned across the table at her brother. The courtiers rained congratulations on them and Addy smiled till she thought her mouth would fall off. As the nobles settled back into their chairs, the food was served. As she ate, feeling of vast contentment swept over Addy. I could not ask for a better brother in the world, she thought.
Later that evening, Addy bid Stefan goodnight and returned to her chamber to tell Farrah the good news. The maidservant was overjoyed that such an honor had been placed on her mistress and she nearly fainted to learn that she was to go with them.
Getting into her nightgown, Addy remembered the letter she had received earlier. Taking it from the drawer, she smoothed it out on the desk and took out a piece of paper and a pen. Writing down the letters that were capitalized, she came up with just a jumble of letters,

LIANEEDOINFNTORMBATIONCONTACTTSOONG

“There has to be something here! These can’t just be grammar mistakes,” she said to herself. After studying the letters for a few minutes, she tried crossing out a few and the letters became words. In the end, she came up with a message. It said,

      I NEED INFORMATION. CONTACT SOON.

Addy read the letter again and then meditated on the message. Who needs information? Is it that man that I saw with Ionin the other night? She sighed, puzzled by all of this and climbed into bed. I’ll think about it in the morning, was her last thought before she drifted into the welcoming darkness of sleep.


austenfan92
© Copyright 2008 Katerina de Annika (UN: history.luver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Katerina de Annika has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565785