*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565788
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1374190
Love, hate, tyranny, rebellion, war...let the saga begin!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#565788 added February 6, 2008 at 5:59pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter VII - Irilhad
Chapter 7


Irilhad




         The sky was a pale pink when Addy stepped into the courtyard. Stefan was already there, talking to one of the page boys and other servants scurried hither and yon, packing up the horses. Pulling on her brown leather riding gloves, she walked across the cobblestones to her brother. Waiting patiently until he was finished, she observed that none of the nobles had come to see them off. Just as well, she thought. I don’t know if I could put up with them this morning after so little sleep! Stefan turned to her, his face stern but Addy could see he was on the verge of laughing.
         “Your late,” he scolded. She sighed, pretending to pout, “Yes I know. Please forgive me for those lost five minutes!”
         They stared at each other, their mouths twitching with smiles. Finally Stefan broke and they both burst into a bout of laughter, the courtyard walls echoing with their merriment.
         When they had calmed down, Stefan went to make sure that all of their luggage was secured. Addy stood looking after him when she heard the sound of boots running on stone. Turning around she came face to face with Ahearn. She gasped in surprise and he bowed slightly.
         “Forgive me for startling you but… I was afraid you had left already,” he managed, gasping for air. Addy waited a few moments until he had caught his breath before she replied.
         “You almost missed us. Stefan is checking the baggage now and then I believe we will start.”
         He nodded, “I have something for you.” Something for me, she thought. Oh dear God, please don’t let it be anything important! He handed her a small package wrapped in brown paper. She took it and looked up at him. He nodded and she carefully unwrapped it.
         Inside was a small dagger. Its gold hilt resembled a dragon and it fit into her hand perfectly as though it was made for her. Small jewels were inlaid in the dragon’s eyes and mouth.
         She studied it with great curiosity. Why is this so familiar? He certainly would not have had this made just for me! Ahearn isn’t that kind of man to spend so much on a gift. All of the sudden she gasped and looked up at the giver in astonishment.
         He nodded, “I thought you would recognize it. It was your mother, the queen’s, dagger.” He smiled in satisfaction. “I found it among some old swords and things in the armory and I had its jewels replaced and the blade polished. I hope you like it.”
         Addy stood there speechless. Half of her wanted to bend to his every will for giving her such a priceless gift but the other half wanted to plant the blade in his skull.
         She forced herself to smile, “It is very beautiful. I thank you.”
         He looked as if he were about to say more but at that moment, Stefan walked up to them. Addy let out a little sigh of relief thinking, if I was not in debt to my brother before, I surely am now!
         “Ahh! Good old Ahearn. Never miss an occasion to say goodbye to me ‘eh? It would almost seem you were glad that I was leaving!” Stefan chuckled but Ahearn’s handsome features became downcast.
         “Your highness! Do no think such things! I am very grieved to see you go,” he glanced at Addy, “And I shall await your return with much anticipation.” He bowed to him.
         Stefan nodded, “As will I friend. Goodbye! I’ll see you in a few weeks!” He walked away, calling over his shoulder, “Don’t be too long Addy!”
         Addy looked after him and then reluctantly turned back to her tiresome companion.
         Faking a smile, she gestured in the direction of her horse, “I’d better go. Being five minutes late this morning put Stefan in a tizzy. Goodbye and thank you for the gift.”
         Ahearn took her hand and kissed it. “I will miss you… more than you know.”
         She couldn’t bear it any longer. “Goodbye,” she said, turning and walking away as quickly as possible without running. Mounting Riona, Stefan pulled up beside her astride his black stallion, Jeremias.
         “You ready,” he asked, trying to hold the eager Jeremias still.
         
“As ready as I’ll ever be!” She laughed a little.
         
“Then lets fly!” He nudged Jeremias and the horse sprang forward. Addy smiled and prodded Riona who took no time in catching up with them.

A Few Hours Later:

         Hills rolled on and on before and behind. The sun was high overhead and the little party had slowed its pace. Stefan led the group with Addy just behind. The few servants that accompanied them made an even slower pace with the stubborn luggage bearing mules. Stefan topped yet another hill’s ridge and stopped, scanning the land about them. Addy rode up beside him and followed her brother’s gaze.
         “What are you looking for,” she asked. He pointed to a patch of dark spots on the plains.
         “There. Trees, which means there is also a stream. That means we can stop there for something to eat!” He grinned over at her. “I’m starved!”
“You and your bottomless pit of a stomach!” Their laughter echoed over the grasses as they trotted on.
After a little while, Addy noticed her foot tingling and she stopped Riona. As she jumped off the mare’s back, Stefan rode up beside her.
“What’s wrong?” he asked.

Addy smiled and shook her head. “Nothing. My foot’s asleep!”

A lopsided grin split Stefan’s face. “You know,” he said, jumping down from Jeremias, “I was getting a bit tired of riding myself. I’ll walk with you.”
The continued on and let the horses graze at their own pace. The tall grass swayed around Addy’s skirts and the sun shone directly down from the blue sky above. The servants caught up to them and Garran took their horses.
“Garran, we would like to eat at that little glade,” Stefan said, pointing to the clump of trees not far ahead. “Can you manage that?”
Garran nodded. “Of course Highness. It will be ready by the time you and the princess arrive.” At that, he and the others hurried ahead to prepare their meal.


Addy and Stefan had a pleasant walk to the glade and when they arrived, a blanket was spread out on the ground and their dinner was waiting. Sitting down gratefully, Addy said a small prayer to herself and waited, as customary, for Stefan to be served first. After he began to eat, she filled her plate with cold meats, raw vegetables and rolls.
Both of them were famished and it didn’t take long for the food to disappear. After finishing, they sat and discussed what they were going to do.

“I’d like to take you to Irilhad,” Stefan commented. “It is so beautiful and I’ve always wished for you to see it!”
Addy’s eyes opened wide in anticipation. “I’ve heard that it’s one of the greatest trading spots in the world!”
Stefan nodded in agreement. “Aye, it is. There are people from all over that come to buy, sell and trade.

Addy leaned forward. “Tell me its history! Please?”

Stefan sighed, “Alright. Well… it used to be just a small fishing village by the sea. The water is deep enough so close to shore that many trading barges would anchor in the bay and go sell and trade their goods to the residents of the surrounding villages.
“The seaside village, called Iril back then, became very popular and the small community grew to a town. As the number of merchant visitors grew, someone decided they should have a wall around the town so any of them who wished to stay overnight could sleep there without fear of having their goods stolen. King Ferron,”

“Our grandfather,” Addy interrupted.

Stefan grinned, “Our grandfather, made it into a city. The docks were built and a road from the water to the city was made. The city itself was improved inside the walls. They built cobblestone streets and many houses and inns out of the white stone from the cliffs. The city prospered greatly and it became known as Irilhad.”

Addy sat back up. “And you’re really taking me there?”

Stefan nodded, smiling. “Yes I am sister!” He stood and pulled her to her feet. “I think we’d best keep moving in order to arrive tomorrow afternoon.” He summoned Garran and the few servants to start packing up their lunch. He and Addy mounted their horses and trotted off.

They rode for hours. The landscape around them never seemed to change except for an occasional stunted tree or a bush. Addy became quite bored and, sighing, looked up at the sky. It was a flawless blue, no clouds in sight. She turned her face to Stefan’s back again as the horses trudged on.


The sun was on its downward decent when they finally stopped. The sky was ablaze with color. Addy wished she had a way to record it. The oranges, pinks, reds and yellows were like a painting that no human being could ever create. ‘How wonderful God’s creation is!’ she thought to herself as she dismounted Riona. Stefan had already unsaddled Jeremias and looked her way.
“You hungry?”

Addy grinned. “No. Not yet though I probably will be soon.”

He looked at her in mock surprise. “How can you not be hungry when you’ve been riding all day?!”

“Because I don’t have a bottomless pit for a stomach,” she said, slapping him lightly on the arm. Laughing, she began to unsaddle Riona.



Two Hours Later:

         The brilliant colors of the sky had faded to a dark purple when Garran took away their plates. Addy and Stefan were sitting by the fire with full stomachs and heavy eyes.
         Addy stifled a yawn and looked up at the sky where the first stars were showing themselves. She counted three pinpricks of light set in the dark blue and looked down at her brother. She smiled as his head bobbed with sleepiness.
He jerked awake, fighting to keep his eyes open. “Life Addy, I’m exhausted! I’d love to stay up with you more but I think I’m going to turn in for the night.” He stood and walked over to where she was sitting. “You gonna be ok?”
She nodded, “Of course! You go ahead. I’m sure I won’t be far behind you.”
He smiled down at her tiredly and kissed the top of her head. “Night,” he said over his shoulder as he retreated into his tent. Soon after, Addy heard a light snoring. She smiled slightly but it faded as her mind turned to other things. ‘Why would Ahearn give me such expensive gifts? He could have sold it for himself and gained much more from it!’  She shook her head and took out the little knife from her belt and examined it. ‘Could he be jealous of Sir Elmark? Though why would he be? There isn’t anything between us. Only... could he desire my favor? Is that what he’s after?’ Putting away the knife, she stared into the fire until her eyes started to burn. Turning her face to the sky, she was amazed to see the sky covered with so many stars that they were impossible to count... except if God commanded. ‘Like He did Abraham,’ she thought. Sighing she stood and, taking one last look at God’s sky of diamonds, retired into her tent.

It seemed like she had only been asleep for a few minutes when a blinding light woke her. Her hand flew to her eyes and through her fingers she could make out the image of her brother, silhouetted in a golden light.
“Wake up you sleepy head! It’s already late enough and we need to get started!” Grinning he retreated back outside and Addy reluctantly swung her feet over the edge of her sleeping cot.

Fifteen minutes later, she emerged from her tent to the smell of fried eggs and bacon. Garran handed her a plate and she sat on a log by the fire to enjoy her salty breakfast.
“Where is Stefan?” she asked her brothers manservant.

“He went to do a bit of scouting mi’lady. He said he would return shortly.”

Addy nodded and finished her breakfast quietly. After her plate was taken away, she walked to the edge of their camp and looked out over the plain.
“Garran,” she called, “I’m going for a walk. If my brother returns, tell him I won’t be long.” Garran nodded and continued his chores.
Addy set out at a brisk walk, looking over her shoulder every once in a while to see if the camp was still in view. She crossed a ridged and stopped, looking behind her again. This time, the camp had totally disappeared within the hills. She could only see the trees they were camped under.
Grinning, she broke into a run, her unbound hair flying out behind her. The yellow silk dress made her feel like a bird compared to the heavy velvet riding habit from yesterday. She ran and ran until she felt she couldn’t take another step and fell in the tall grass. She was still lying there, looking up at the sun, when she heard the sounds of hoof beats. She sat up and there, not fifty steps away from her was Stefan on Jeremias.
He dismounted and came over to her. “So here you are! Hiding from me I see,” he said, pointing to the spot where she had been laying.
She shook her head smiling, “Nay brother. I’ve just been resting with the intention of returning to camp soon.”

“And what would be the cause for this rest?” he asked, putting his hands on his hips.

“I’ve been running,” she admitted, blushing slightly.

He grinned and gave her a playful nudge. “Good. I’m sure you needed a stretch of the legs. But now I’ve come to take you back so we can be on our way.”
He mounted Jeremias, pulling her up behind him and they galloped back over the hills to the camp.
When they arrived, Addy saw, with some surprise, that the servants had already packed up and left ahead of them. Riona was tied to a tree, grazing, and picked her head up when she saw them approach. Addy dismounted and walked over to her.
“Are you ready to go?” she asked the horse, scratching her head. Riona nodded her head as if in answer and nuzzled Addy’s hand. She chucked and, mounting, she looked to Stefan to lead.
“Ready?” he asked. She nodded. “Then lets go!”
They started at a run which slowed into a gallop which became a walk and by midday, the horses were dragging their feet.
Addy sighed in boredom and this time, Stefan heard her.
He glanced in her direction. “We should be there sometime this afternoon. Maybe by dinner!”
She looked up in surprised. “Really? I thought it would be later this evening.”
He shook his head. “Well, if we don’t stop for dinner on the plains, we could be there by high noon.”
Addy looked up at the sky, her hand shading her eyes. “By the looks of it, we still have a way to go.” She grinned at her brother who shot a smiled back.
After that they fell into silence. Riding for hours it seemed and getting nowhere it also seemed. But as the sun climbed higher in the sky, it got hotter. Once Addy thought she caught a whiff of salt on the breeze. From then on, she was alert. Riona and Jeremias too seemed to feel that there destination was nearing and they walked more briskly.

When the sun was directly above them, they came to a ridge. As they reached its peak, Addy caught her first glimpse of Irilhad as Stefan had said. Its white walls gleamed in the sun and beyond the city, the sea sparkled and rolled. She smiled at Stefan who was watching her and with a last kick of her heels, she and her brother flew over the land that separated them from the city.
By the time they reached Irilhad’s gates, clouds were gathering over the Parth’tin Sea. As they clattered onto the cobblestone streets, Addy thought she heard thunder. But before she had time to give it another thought, her senses were attacked by the sights, sounds and smells of the greatest market in all of Itheryn.

Stalls lined the streets, surrounded by people buying brightly colored cloth or exotic foods. Horses did their best to move through the roiling masses. Shouts and laughter echoed through the air and at the next thunderclap, many people seemed to disappear into doorways and side allies. Stefan and Addy moved slowly through the crowds and Addy was able to take in much of the main thoroughfare of the city before they arrived at their destination.
A solid, wooden gate stood shut in front of them with a sign above reading “Moonbeam Inn” and Stefan dismounted. Upon knocking, a small window opened in the side of the large gate to permit a face to peep through. It was a man with skin the color of the wood itself and teeth as white as snow. As soon as he saw Stefan’s face, he flashed him a broad smile and slammed the window shut. A moment later, the gate creaked open to reveal a large courtyard and two servants with the same skin color rushed forward to take their horses.
Stefan turned to Addy and grinned, “They know me well here.” Addy smiled in return and began to examine her surroundings.
The courtyard was surrounded on three sides by two levels of rooms that were lent out to travelers. On the bottom level, the doors were widely spaced whereas close together on the top level. Addy guessed that the bottom story was for rich travelers and was probably nicely furnished.
The courtyard itself was a feast to the eye. Strange tropical plants that Addy had never seen before grew up from pots and climbed the yard’s walls. There were trees that Stefan called “palms” that had broad leaves with slits in them. And everywhere you looked there was a different color flower. Orange, red, yellow, purple, some of them larger than your hand and yet others the size of a fingertip. Their spicy sweet scents mingled in the air, invading Addy’s nose.
She stood taking in the sights when a man came out to meet them. Dressed in fine silks the short plump man wore a friendly smile on his face. “Welcome!” he greeted them rather loudly. He shook Stefan’s hand rather vigorously and Addy smiled slightly at his enthusiasm. I like him already, she thought.
Stefan smiled, “Ghalib! How wonderful it is to see you again my friend!” 
Ghalib bowed slightly, “And you your highness! It has been far too long since your past visit. But who is this,” he asked, looking behind Stefan to Addy.
Stefan turned, “This is my sister Adelicia. Addy, Ghalib, the owner of this establishment.”
Addy smiled, “A pleasure sir!” Ghalib took her hand and kissed it lightly, “The pleasure is all mine My Lady! Stefan has told me much of you and now I finally get to meet you in person! Oh what a happy day for old Ghalib!” Addy noticed that as he talked, his smile never left his face. “Now… how long are you staying?”

“About a week,” Stefan replied.

“A week!? Ahhh! Wonderful, wonderful! That means to will be here for the festival!” Ghalib clapped his hands excitedly.
Addy raised her eyebrows, “A festival?”

Ghalib’s eyes widened, “Of course, of course! Irilhad has an annual festival in honor of the day King Ferron, may he rest in peace, graciously proclaimed the little village a city. Five days hence, the streets become alive with music and dancing and feasting. A glorious day for the city!”
Addy turned to her brother, “We will be here won’t we?”
Stefan nodded, “I believe so.”
Ghalib grinned at them, “Good good. But come come! You must both be exhausted! I have reserved my best room for your use.” Waddling across the cobblestones, he led them to one of the doors and opened it. Inside was a richly furnished living area.
“I hope that you will find everything satisfactory! And if you ever need anything, just let me know.” He stepped aside to let them enter.
Stefan took his hand, “Thank you Ghalib. This is wonderful! Could you by any chance procure some coconut milk? Addy has never tasted it.” The little man nodded. “Of course! I will have one of the servants bring some here momentarily!” And with that, he hurried off.
Addy sighed and flopped onto a low couch. “Stefan this is wonderful! Do you stay here all the time when you come to Irilhad?”
Stefan nodded and sat down across from her. “Yes. When I first started coming so often to the city, I tried out several inns. But this one was by far the best I have ever stayed in and I have come here ever since.”
She nodded, “That explains why you know Ghalib and the servants so well.”
Stefan grinned, “So you noticed.”
Addy looked at him surprised. “Of course I noticed! Ghalib treated you like a father does his son when he comes home from a long trip!”
He shrugged, “I suppose.”
“Stefan,” she looked at him wryly, “Ghalib said you had told him much about me. What did you tell him?”
Stefan laughed and came over to her side, “Only that you were the most beautiful woman in all of Itheryn.” She blushed a little and smiled up at him.
He smiled, “I think I’m going to go rest. And you might want to yourself! We have a busy week ahead of us!” He leaned down and kissed her forehead before retreating to a side chamber. Addy entered another chamber and found a bed, a small bedside table and a chest. A silk sheet covered a mattress that was stuffed with goose feathers. Sighing happily, Addy curled up under the sheet and fell fast asleep.

The next day flew by. Attired in soft muslin, the siblings went to explore the city. Stefan gave Addy a tour of the market place and they returned to the inn in the evening with foreign food and lengths of brightly colored cloth. Addy, at Stefan’s insistence, had tasted a yellow longish fruit called bananas and a round fruit called an orange. But of all the varieties of food, her favorite was a square, dark piece called chocolate. Ghalib found this out rather easily and provided them with quite a stock for snacking during their stay.

That night Addy lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her mind whirled with all her new discoveries and she couldn’t sleep. Sitting up, she saw a light under her door. Stefan’s still up.
Sliding out of bed, she slipped on her silk slippers, flipped a light shawl over her shoulders and opened the door to the common parlor.
Stefan was sitting at a paper strewn table and looked up, a bit startled. “You’re still up? I thought you were asleep long ago!”
She shook her head, “No. For some reason my mind wouldn’t stay quite.” She walked over to him, glancing at the papers lying on the table.
He sighed, “Business. It won’t rest either.” Grinning up at her he suggested, “Maybe if you go outside for a little while. Some fresh air would be pleasant and the stars are very bright tonight!”
Addy thought for a moment before nodding. “Yes, that would be nice. Thanks for the idea!” She kissed him on the cheek and fled out the door.
The night was warm and as Stefan said, the stars looked like diamonds in the sky. She sidled across the courtyard to the bench in the garden and sat, craning her neck to see the glory above her. It’s amazing that the stars really never change, no matter where you go. Thank you Lord that you would bestow so much beauty upon your children!
She sat quite for a few moments, taking in the sight and thanking God for the day. But after a while, a small noise startled her. She listened, motionless, and heard it again. It sounded like someone was knocking softly on the gate.
Just when she began to wonder if she should go and open it, she saw movement in the doorway to Ghalib’s chambers. From the shadows, she observed the bulky man move silently, by the light of a small lantern, across the courtyard to the gate. He softly opened it and a large hooded man stepped in.
Addy shrank away from the small circle of light cast by Ghalib’s lamp and into the friendlier shadows. Her ears strained to hear the muffled voices. Her eyes fixed on the two figures, trying to make out the face of the strange man in the dim light.
She only caught words or phrases of what they were saying. “… news… abandoned… lost among others… courtier… hidden church… found out… trouble in Alinon…” All at once, Ghalib nearly shouted, “What is this madness?!” followed by shushing and hurried whispers. Ghalib nodded and out of his robe, he pulled an envelope which he gave to the man. The dark bulk took it and Addy guessed he stowed it away in his cloak. Then they nodded to each other and the man fled into the darkened street. Ghalib locked the gate tight and returned to his rooms.
Addy let out a sigh and hurried quietly back across the courtyard and into her and her brother’s chambers.
As she slipped into bed, her mind was caught up in her observation. I wonder what that was all about. As her eyes blinked slower, she absentmindedly realized that as the hooded man had turned, she caught a flash of golden eyes.

For two days, Stefan decided to check up on some of the Alinon traders in Irilhad. He left early each morning and came back to the inn after dark so Addy had those days to herself. The first day, she quickly located several libraries of various sizes and Stefan came back late in the evening to find her still up, her nose stuck in the pages of a book. The second day she mostly explored some of the city’s museums and monuments. She enjoyed looking at the city’s history.

In between her excursions, she spent time with the innkeeper. Her hours with Ghalib always left her in a fine mood for the man treated her like the father she had always wanted. Much of their time together was spent in the garden, Ghalib pointing out different plants and flowers, Addy listening intently, taking in his every word.
“This is called an oright,” he commented, pointing to a bright pink flower in a pot. “This is a grettans plant. Many use it for their stews and soups,” he gestured to a medium size plant whose green leaves were edged in purple. “And this,” he pointed to the vines clinging to the wall, “is the moonbeam plant.”
The vine seemed to overtake the stone, twisting this way and that. And sprouting from it were the most beautiful flowers Addy had ever seen. Its white petals were rimmed with a light blue and seemed to be covered with a silver sheen.
Ghalib noticed her wonderment and picking one, handed it to her. “For the most beautiful young woman in all of Itheryn.”
She smiled at him and stood, taking his hand. “Thank you Ghalib… for everything.” She softly kissed his cheek and retreated to her chamber, leaving the old man staring after her absent mindedly.
On arriving in her rooms, she retrieved her leather bound journal and carefully pressed the flower in its pages. She smiled to herself as she picked up her pen and wrote on the opposite sheet.

This is a Moonflower that Ghalib gave to me. He is so kind and thoughtful. How I wish he were my father! In truth, I would not mind living more simply if he were. My own father has never given anything of value to me. At least, nothing I value.

She sighed as she closed the book and returned it to its place. Picking up her borrowed book of poems, she snuggled down on the couch in the common room of her quarters and waited for her brother to return.
An hour later, Addy looked up startled to find a tall figure standing in the doorway. She groaned inwardly as she recognized the familiar grey-blue eyes and wavy brown hair.
“Ahearn! What a surprise!”
Ahearn strode forward and bowed. A smile splitting his face in half he answered, “I hoped you would find it a pleasant one.”
Addy forced a smile and nodded. “I’m afraid you find me quite alone at the moment. Stefan has been away to check up on some of father’s business ambassadors here. He should return soon though. Please sit down.”

She sat across from him and stared at her hands in her lap, her mind wishing him away. “Um,” she faltered, “why have you come to Irilhad?”
Ahearn smiled a bit mischievously at her, “I had some… business to take care of. Oh,” he exclaimed while reaching into a leather bag at his side. He pulled out some letters and handed them to her, “News from home. I thought I might as well bring them myself since I was here anyway. It also gave me a good excuse to come visit you,” he looked at her with a tenderness in his eyes that Addy had prayed would stay silent.
She took the letters from him and began to sift through them, “Thank you.”
Keeping her eyes on the papers, she noticed Ahearn edging towards her. Looking up, she observed that the dreaded tenderness in his eyes had turned to something more. What… she thought. Admiration, love, passion? What?!
All of the sudden, he was beside her. Taking her hand in his, he looked into her eyes, “Oh my dear Addy. You have no idea how hard it’s been for me these past few days! How much I have missed you!”
Addy began to panic. She wouldn’t just sit here and let him talk this way. But he held her hand firmly in his. She wanted to get away… was desperate to escape. She looked at him again, seeing the dreaded words form on his lips. 
At that moment, she heard a loud voice in the courtyard. Stefan!
To her relief, Ahearn seemed to hear it too for he reluctantly let go of her and stepped back to a respectable distance. Moments later, Stefan appeared in the doorway, his lopsided smile on his face as usual.
“Ahearn! What a pleasant surprise!” In two steps, he was at Ahearn’s side and shaking his hand as though his life were at stake.
Ahearn smiled back and glancing at Addy replied, “Yes my friend. I hoped it would be as much as I told your sister earlier,” he nodded in Addy’s direction.
Stefan turned to look at her for the first time. Addy did her best at attempting a smile but it felt as fake as she knew it looked. A court smile, she thought. He frowned slightly but resumed his smile when he turned back to Ahearn. “How long are you staying in Irilhad?”
Ahearn shrugged, “Maybe a week or so. The time it will take to finish my business is indefinite.”
Stefan nodded, “I see. Well I would invite you to stay for supper but I had promised Addy to a private meal this evening. I hope you won’t mind.”
Thank you, Addy thought as she nodded slightly, her court smile plastered to her face.
Ahearn nodded his head vigorously, “Oh no! I had plans myself this evening so it wouldn’t have worked out anyway. Which reminds me, I should probably be going.”
Stefan clapped him on the back, “You must come another night!”
Ahearn nodded, “That would be wonderful… if Addy will consent.”
Addy had trouble masking her surprise and managed to answer, “Of course sir. You will be very welcome.”
Stefan grinned, “Well there you have it! I shall send someone for you soon and you will come and eat with us.”
Ahearn smiled, “As you wish your highness. Until then… I take my leave.” He nodded to Stefan and bowed to Addy before retreating out into the failing light.
Addy breathed a sigh of relief and flopped back down on the couch. Stefan sat opposite her and looked at her intently, anxiety written all over his handsome features. “Addy, what’s wrong?”
She sighed, “I don’t know. I just don’t like Ahearn very much, that’s all.”
Her brother looked a bit puzzled. “Why not?”
She stared at her hands for a moment before she answered. “I think everyone pairs us up. A likely match I’ve heard it called.”

“By whom?”

“Callimar…”

“I see. Well I’m sure Ahearn himself doesn’t feel that way.”

Addy let out an exasperated sigh, “Especially him! Can you not see it brother? What is the business that brings him to Irilhad? Is it so secret that he cannot tell us or did he come on business at all?! Please do not pretend to be blind if you are not so!”

Stefan paused to let this blow over before he spoke. “I suppose I have seen it all along,” he said slowly. “I guess I just dismissed it as friendship.”

“FRIENDSHIP!” Addy exploded. She stopped herself and took a deep breath before flying too far off the handle. “It is much more than friendship dear brother.”
Stefan went to her and took his sister’s hands in his, looking intently into her face. “It means this much to you?”

Addy nodded.

“Then I shall speak with him. I’m sure he does not know of your distress.”
She shook her head and looked down at her hands. “Thank you Stefan. You are truly the best man I have ever known.”
Stefan let out a little laugh, “That won’t be true for long I am sure. But come and let us go to supper. I am famished.” They both laughed at this and arm in arm, walked out to the courtyard for their meal.

After they ate, they returned to their rooms to read their forgotten letters. Stefan had a few and Addy was surprised to receive two.
One was from Pheran. He wrote that the church was prospering and had gained a few new members. They had had two more meetings since Addy’s last visit and missed her terribly. Addy wished she could write to Pheran and give him more encouragement but that was impossible. She sighed and went on to her next letter.

It was from Sir Elmark. It read:

Dearest Princess Adelicia,
               
            I hope this letter finds you well in Irilhad. Court
            has become quite dreary without you. We have
            had two court parties since you left and at each
            one I mourn the loss of a magnificent dancing
            partner. I await your return with much anticipation.

                                                                  Your Devoted Servant
                                               
                                                                            Sir Elmark

Addy sighed with pleasure. At least one good thing has happened to day. Tucking the letters inside her journal, she returned to the common room of their quarters. She found Stefan pacing the floor, a worried look on his face.
“Stefan? What’s the matter?” she asked, sitting in a chair across from where he was pacing.
Her brother sat down gingerly beside her, looked at her for a moment and then stood and began pacing again. Addy followed him with her eyes, wondering what could have caused this restless state in her usually happy sibling. Her face held puzzlement as she silently watched him walk back and forth in front of the room’s small fireplace.
Finally he turned to her. “I have received a very disturbing letter from one Father’s generals. He says that there have been a few raids along the southern border, near the Tiro-Nato Mountains, the doings of some rebels. But he says that it’s not enough to actually do anything about it, though he’s afraid that the group might move toward the capital.”

“Does Father know?” asked Addy, looking concerned.

“No, and he shouldn’t until it’s a serious problem.”

Addy nodded in agreement. “So why are you brewing over this?”

“Because I’m contemplating whether we should leave now… before the rebels move north.”

Addy frowned, “But you said yourself that they might not. It’s only a possibility.”

Stefan nodded, “Yes, but I don’t want to take a chance. I think we should leave right away for Feineon.”

Addy looked down at her hands and nodded reluctantly. “If you think it is best brother.”

Stefan came and sat beside her, taking her hands. “Also, I think I should find a caravan for us to travel with. It would be safer to travel in a group than by ourselves.”

Addy looked up at him, “I would agree with you. But are you sure it would not be safer just to return home, though I would still love to go to Feineon.”

Stefan shook his head, “A letter was sent ahead of us so we are expected. And I don’t think Father would approve of our abandoning our trip. So we will press on.”

Again Addy nodded, but then looked up questioningly at him. “Stefan?”

“Hmm?”

“Can we at least stay long enough to attend the festival?”     

“Sure! That would be fun.” He stood and walked toward the door.

“I’m going to look for a caravan. It may take a day or two to find one but we best begin now. I’ll be back soon.” He blew her a kiss and retreated into the night.
Addy sighed as she watched him go. “Lord,” she prayed, “please keep him safe.”


austenfan91
© Copyright 2008 Katerina de Annika (UN: history.luver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Katerina de Annika has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/565788