*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566744
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1386569
An anthology on My December by Kelly Clarkson
#566744 added March 12, 2008 at 11:16pm
Restrictions: None
Be Still
Be Still
Far, away from it all
You and me with no one else around
A brand new start
Is all we need, it’s all we need to mend these hearts
Back to the beginning

Be still
Let it go

Before we lost hope
When we still touched and love wasn’t so hard

Be still
I already know

Foolish one with the smile
You don’t have to be brave
Every time we fall down
But we’re falling from grace
I’ll gladly climb your walls if you’ll meet me halfway

Slow, slow it down
Why do we run, we’re missing so much babe
Just lay in my arms for a while and...

Be still

We should’ve known

Foolish one with the smile
You don’t have to be brave
I’ll gladly climb your walls
If you’ll meet me halfway
Every time we fall down
But we’re falling from grace
Here’s my hand and my heart
It’s yours to take

Be still
---------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 964

Kyle awoke with the sunlight in his eyes and smiled as he sat up on his couch and remembered the events of the night before. Nothing special, but yet it was enough to make his week.



~*~



Prudence rolled over in bed and opened her eyes. Upon doing so, she realized that she was not currently lying in her own bed or in her room.

She sprang up quickly and tried to remember what happened the night before and how she'd ended up in Kyle's bed.



~*~



12 Hours Earlier

Kyle opened his door To find Prudence on the other side and breathed a sigh of relief. It had been almost a week since their big fight and he had been going nuts without seeing her.

She smiled at him, and he stepped out of the way to let her in.

He could tell she was nervous by the way she ran her fingers through her hair. Her soft brown eyes met his, and he saw that she needed him; he didn't know how, but he knew she did.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I'm sorry I got upset and that I defended Jeremy. You were right- he doesn't deserve that."

"He doesn't deserve you." It just slipped out of his mouth, but when she looked at him with a slightly shocked expression, he was glad he said it.

He smiled and they took a seat on his couch. "So..." he began when he saw that they were leading themselves into an awkward silence. "Pizza and a movie?"

She grinned. "Sure."



~*~



They sat on his couch later that night, the clock nearing midnight.

Prudence was full of pizza and feeling sleepy. The movie had ended an hour ago, and they had resorted to Will and Grace reruns.

"Can I ask you a question?" Kyle's voice sounded heavy with sleep.

Prudence turned her head to look at him, positioned on her right.
"What?"

Kyle looked at her with an analyzing stare. "What did you ever see in him?"

The sleepiness must have been getting to her because her mind drew a blank. "Who?"

"Jeremy."

Oh. She rested her chin on her knee which was tucked to her chest. She thought about college and the time that Jeremy had spent courting her. "The funny thing is, I never wanted to date him. He kept asking and asking, but I said 'no' because he was known for preying on freshman just to sleep with them."

She looked at Kyle, relaxed on the opposite end of the couch. The soft light of the lamp made his already attractive features even softer and cuter. His green eyes were laced with drowsiness but were somehow still intent on her.

She looked away and continued. "But one day he wrote me this poem, the sweetest poem in the whole world, so I went out with him. And every time he did something to make me mad, I would think of that poem and remember that he had a better side."

Kyle shook his head, most likely in disgust. "So that's all it takes to snatch a girl? One fluke of a sentimental moment?"

Prudence laughed, more at her stupidity than at his comment. "Yeah, I guess so."



~*~



Kyle could hear Prudence snoring lightly on the other end of the couch and smiled to himself. She'd fallen asleep almost an hour ago, and he had fooled himself into thinking that he was staying awake to watch Frasier, but he was really staying awake to watch her sleep.

He stood and turned the TV off, the living room becoming darker at the absence of its light.

Then he crouched beside the couch and looked at her.

She was so beautiful to him. She had been the center of all his thoughts since the night they met, but he could see she still had some healing to do.

He ran a finger down her soft, pale cheek and moved a strand of hair away from her face.

How could she have ever fallen for a snake like Jeremy?

He put an arm under the hook of her legs and one behind her back and lifted her into his arms. His knees almost went weak with happiness when she wrapped an arm around him and burrowed her face into his chest.

She probably thinks I'm Jeremy, he thought to himself.

But it was better than nothing.

He carried her to his bed and laid her down in the dark, noticing how her body was smaller than it was when they met. She needed to eat more.

He tucked her in and closed the door behind him. He went to the living room and fell asleep in the spot she had previously occupied, the space still warm with her body heat.



~*~



The Next Morning

Prudence walked out into the sunlit living room and immediately spotted Kyle leaning over the stove, focusing on something that sizzled loudly.

She smiled, happy that they were past their fight and that he had taken care of her. It made her feel...loved.

She slowed as she approached him. He looked confused, almost as if he didn't know how eggs had come to be in the pan in front of him.

She laughed and went to intervene.



~*~



Kyle didn't even hear Prudence approach until she had positioned herself between him and the stove.

He thought she looked incredible early in the morning. He leaned closer to her as she finished the eggs that he hadn't been able to decide what to do with.

"You like scrambled eggs?"

She turned to look at him, and it took him a minute to process her question. He smiled. "Yeah."

She smiled back, and he felt great.
© Copyright 2008 GryffindorGurl (UN: magicfreak11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GryffindorGurl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566744