*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566750
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1386569
An anthology on My December by Kelly Clarkson
#566750 added March 4, 2008 at 11:31pm
Restrictions: None
Judas
Judas
The only one who took you in
The only one who held your hand
Defended you against the others
Had your back on everything
Never let you down
You turned around betrayed your only brother

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out
After we’d been through so much, how could you let me down?

I didn’t know, I didn’t know
I couldn’t see, I couldn’t see
Never thought you’d forget me
Couldn’t believe, couldn’t believe
How you deceived, you deceived
I never thought you’d do that to me

I will never be like you
I’ll never do the things you do
Selfish and lonely, what’s your problem
Letting go of you and this
Is harder than I thought but I will not be poisoned by your actions

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out
After we’d been through so much, how could you let me down?

I didn’t know, I didn’t know
I couldn’t see, I couldn’t see
Never thought you’d forget me
Couldn’t believe, couldn’t believe
How you deceived, you deceived
I never thought you’d do that to me

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out
After we’d been through so much, how could you let me down?
Down, you let me down
------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count:964

Tera and Prudence sat on Prudence's couch, the only light coming from the TV.

Prudence curled into a ball, her head resting on the armrest as she watched Heath Ledger in A Night's Tale. Tera's legs rested on top of hers and she smiled in contentment.

"You know what I never understood?" Tera asked, her loud voice filling the room.

"What?"

"Why did Heath go with the bratty chick who almost made him kill himself just so that she would feel wanted, when he could have had Kate?"

"Who?"

Tera sat up. "Exactly! Nobody even notices her. You know, the pretty Scottish girl who made his armor and taught him how to dance?"

Prudence rolled her eyes and tried not to laugh at her friend's need for justice as she saw fit. Prudence tried to reason with her. "Maybe it was because they were too close and he just never saw her that way. Best friends falling in love is so cliche anyway."

She turned back to the TV, but could feel Tera's speculative gaze on her. She turned back to her. "What?"

Her right eyebrows lifted. "Speaking of best friends, what's with this Kyle guy?"

Prudence suppressed a groan. Did Tera always have to be so suspicious about everyone? "Tera, we've known him for almost four months, and you still don't trust him?"

Tera held up her index finger. "Correction! You've known him for four months. I've only spoken to him like three times."

Prudence shook her head. "Whatever. He's a good guy."

"I bet." Tera didn't look convinced, but Prudence ignored her tone as a knock sounded on her door.

She stood and went to the door only to find Kyle on the other side, sporting a black eye and a fat lip. Prudence gasped and ushered him into her apartment. "What happened?" she asked. She watched him take a seat on her couch and saw the subtle way that Tera inched away from him.

Kyle's eyes slid to Tera, and she squirmed uncomfortably.

She looked at Prudence. "I gotta go."

Prudence sighed and led her out, and then turned back to Kyle.

"You have to promise not to get mad." Kyle's eyes were fixed on his own hands.

Prudence didn't like the tone of his voice. "I'm not sure I can do that."

Kyle sighed and stood. He stepped away from the couch and went to the small table by the kitchen that held her phone and a few other decorations. He picked up the picture frame that sat there.

It was a picture of her and Jeremy, one of their engagement pictures.

Still holding the photo, Kyle turned back to her. "I recognized him from this picture. I've seen it so many times."

Kyle's eyes met hers and she was suddenly unsure that she wanted to know how Kyle had received his black eye. What did it have to do with Jeremy?

Kyle took a few steps toward her and continued. "I saw him on the street, making out with some little blond."

Pain shot through Prudence's heart. Oh, God. Now she knew she didn't want to hear the rest. Unfortunately, she didn't have the sense to tell him that.

"I have a short temper." His voice rose, and Prudence looked away from him. "Right there, in the middle of the street, the guy is flaunting his infidelity!"

"We're not married anymore," Prudence whispered, knowing that it didn't matter.

"I don't care!" Kyle tossed the picture frame on the couch and ran a hand through his hair. "Look, long story short, I beat the guy up and he got in a few lucky shots."

Tears welled up in Prudence's eyes, tears of anger and hurt. "Why would you do that?"

Kyle looked confused. "Why not? After what he did to you?"

"You had no right!" Prudence exploded.

Before Kyle had a chance to answer, the phone rang and both of them knew who it was before the answering machine picked up.

"Prudence? Prudence, if you're there, pick up." Jeremy's voice was laced with anger. "Your friend, that little son of a-"

Prudence jerked the phone off the hook. "Jeremy, calm down."

"I will not calm down! I get attacked in the middle of the street and find out it's one of your damn friends!"

Her heart twisted at hearing his voice again. It had been so long. "Jeremy..." Prudence tried to stay calm. "You have every right to be angry, but this isn't my fault."

She could feel the heat of Kyle's glare on her and kept her eyes straight ahead. She listened to Jeremy rage on.

When he finished, she apologized and promised him that Kyle would never bother him again.

After hanging up, she turned to see Kyle's shocked expression. "I can't believe you just apologized to him. He betrayed you."

"You betrayed me, Kyle." Prudence crossed her arms and stared at the hardwood floor. "You had no right to involve yourself. You're lucky he's not pressing charges."

Kyle's eyes hardened and he shook his head. "I get it."

And before she could say another word, he was gone.

She shook with rage. How dare he? How could he?

She plucked the picture frame from her couch and plunged it across the room where it hit the wall and fell to the floor with a loud crack!

She stared at the dent in the wall and at the shattered picture frame on the floor. She was losing it, and she knew inside that she was no better than Kyle or even Jeremy. She had no right to react the way she did. And Kyle had been right; Jeremy was the true enemy here, and she had turned it all on her friend.

She fell to her knees in front of her couch and cried until the misery inside her dried up.
© Copyright 2008 GryffindorGurl (UN: magicfreak11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GryffindorGurl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566750