*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570433-Too-expensive
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#570433 added February 27, 2008 at 11:59pm
Restrictions: None
Too expensive....
I swear, in not too long, it is going to be easier, healthier, and more economical to stay at home and draw public assistance. On my way to work this morning, I had to stop for gas. I made the mistake of letting the tank get down to a quarter of a tank- my usual fill-up point is half- so I was dreading it.

When I first bought this car, a '99 Toyota RAV 4, to fill the tank from empty cost $11. This morning, I [b]shut the pump off[/b] at $30. It could easily have taken $5-6 more. When I arrived at the pump, it was still registering a previous purchase of $74. Who ever would have thought that it would come to this? I guess $30 isn't as painful as $74, but then I think that's one of those things that could be considered relative.

Then I got caught up in morning traffic, stuck behind a belching school bus. It was bitter cold this morning, so I had the heat on in the car, which sucked in the diesel fumes from the bus, nearly suffocating me.

I turned off the heat to stop that, but then it got quickly got cold in the car again. No sense opening the window. The fumes were outside the window waiting to utilize that point of entry, as was more of the cold.

A no win-situation, to say the least.

After work, my friend wanted to know if I felt like driving downtown to have dinner. Hell no, was my first thought. I wasnt' driving twenty miles for a frivolity. Gas costs too much and that $30 worth I put in this morning has to last.

But then, I thought what a shame it would be to allow gas prices to dictate my life and my enjoyment of it. I guess that's why I do get up and go to work, enduring traffic, and other negatives- so I can pay for gas and enjoy the more pleasant things this existence has to offer.

© Copyright 2008 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570433-Too-expensive