*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572426-Did-Hell-just-freeze-over
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#572426 added March 8, 2008 at 5:08pm
Restrictions: None
Did Hell just freeze over?
This just in!

I agree with the Democrats!

I’m shocked, stunned, and I don’t think I’ll tell many people (family especially, the Libertarians that they are) I’m in agreement with something the Democrats said.

Here’s the article in question: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/ap_on_go_ot/dear_taxpayer_3

Lucky those who filed tax returns are going to get a letter from the IRS stating they qualify for the tax rebate and will soon receive it.

The Democrats state it’s a waste of time and money. Well, duh! Wouldn’t a simple press release suffice, like, I don’t know, the article above? After all, I’ve known I’ll be getting a rebate for over a month now. I don’t need the government to spend an extra $42 million to tell me again. It reeks of a teenager telling everyone he or she knows that he/she (I hate political correctness!) scored the winning point on the basketball game so as to gain more friends.

Sorry, there is nothing this government can do that will impress me, unless they decide to cut my taxes, quit paying subsidies on money-losers such as ethanol (some may disagree with me on this), teach people to become self-sufficient instead of paying them to sit on their ass, have more children, and never marry - oh, I could go on, but you get my point.

I do disagree with the Democrats on where to spend the money, however. They want it spent on catching tax-evaders instead.

How’s this for an idea: put it toward the national debt?! But that’s too risky, ain’t it? That helps no one on the short term (read: no good for our politicians; money placed in people’s pockets right this instant equals more votes).

It is, after all, an election year.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572426-Did-Hell-just-freeze-over