*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574071
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1399296
True stories of hope and hopelessness, love, life, laughter and loss. A work in progress.
#574071 added March 17, 2008 at 2:57am
Restrictions: None
Wednesday, November 17, 1999
Today was my first hospital clinical. I spent the morning in physical therapy with the physical therapists Angela and Crystal, as well as fellow student, Ariel.

I saw several cool things today, like a woman receiving intermittent electronic traction on her neck. Apparently she's been in a car accident, and all other therapeutic interventions have failed.

I also saw a burn victim have a debridement treatment. He'd decided to smoke while wearing an oxygen mask, and 50% of his face was badly burned. Watching this was very hard for me, not because it grossed me out, but because I could tell it hurt him to have it done. His bottom lip trembled throughout the entire procedure and he was breathing heavily. I went over to him and held his hand until she (Angela) was done. I hope my touch helped.

I also saw a woman who's had a stroke work out on all the equipment--her right side was affected and the therapists are trying to build up her strength. She wore an AFO (ankle-foot orthosis) on her right foot because it tends to invert when she isn't wearing it. It made her body alignment and gait more effective and "appealing to the eye," the therapist said.



© Copyright 2008 Shannon (UN: shannonchapel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shannon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574071