*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574072
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1399296
True stories of hope and hopelessness, love, life, laughter and loss. A work in progress.
#574072 added March 17, 2008 at 2:56am
Restrictions: None
Monday, November 22, 1999
Today was my first day on med-surg. Whew, what a rush! Up until now I've done predominantly CNA stuff, but today was the first day I actually felt like a nurse.

I spent the first 45-60 minutes getting oriented to the place, then Joan assigned me to A.M., whose husband admitted her because he was worried she hadn't eaten anything for over a month. According to her husband, A.M.'s deterioriated significantly since she was admitted on the 11th.

"I don't want to wake her up if she's sleeping. She doesn't know who I am, anyway," he said.

"Why don't you give it a try," I encouraged. "She's been quite oriented and cooperative today."

He shook her shoulder and said hi to her when she opened her eyes. She smiled at him and said, "Hi."

He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "Well, I'll be damned!"

Later when I said I was going to try to get her to eat some Jell-O he said, "Oh, she won't eat.She hasn't eaten anything for a long time."

"Do you mind if I try? She's done so well today."

He nodded.

A.M. ate four spoonfuls of Jell-O for me! Her husband just smiled and said, "That's incredible." I could have cried! I really felt that I did something worthwhile today. It was very rewarding.



© Copyright 2008 Shannon (UN: shannonchapel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shannon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574072