*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/578511-Waste-Not-Want-Not
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#578511 added April 9, 2008 at 3:48pm
Restrictions: None
Waste Not, Want Not.
Much as I’m a great supporter of saving the planet and very conscious of being environmentally friendly, I find myself quite bewildered by some of the activities of shops and companies. I’m quite happy to sort and recycle our household waste into appropriate bins and try to do my bit to conserve resources but there are some practices that just leave me baffled as to what to do.

*Bullet* Plastic carrier bags. Why is it every shop I go into automatically puts my purchase, no matter how small, into a carrier bag? Assistants look at me as if I’ve lost my marbles when I tell them politely I don’t need a bag thank you; I’ve brought my own shopping bag and my bottle of shampoo will be fine in there. Okay, I can’t take enough bags of my own to the supermarket, but surely there has to be a better solution than packing everything into plastic carriers, then returning them to the supermarket next trip to put them into their recycling bins. Only to buy more shopping and put it into plastic carriers…and so on and so on ad infinitum.

*Bullet* Packaging. How come if we’re being encouraged to be green and not waste resources does the perfume set I buy come in a box within a box, complete with cellophane wrapping, tissue paper padding and a ruddy great ribbon tied round it? Even if I was purchasing it as a gift, I’m sure the recipient is only going to actually use the contents, if she can ever access them through all the packaging that is.

*Bullet* Bubble Wrap. Who decided everything I send for through the post must be wrapped in several layers of non biodegradable plastic, which not only is unnecessary but goes on to cause even more damage to the ozone layer, because none of us can resist popping at least two dozen of the bubbles? Equally annoying and useless are the boxes full of polystyrene pieces which accompany anything ranging from a tiny fridge magnet to a pair of socks.

*Bullet* Safety Pins. In these modern times you’d think shops could now attach labels and tags electronically or at least using only the minimum of materials. But no, on almost every item of clothing I purchase there will always be a tag attached with a tiny safety pin, which I haven’t the heart to throw away.

*Bullet* Elastic bands. For years I’ve contemplated why, almost every day a red elastic band finds its way onto my path. As with worms, I always feel obligated to pick up the stranded objects, although it’s impractical to rehouse elastic bands under leaves and twigs. It was only when a red elastic band dropped through my letter box with the mail one day, I realised it’s the post person who is guilty of scattering them on everyone’s property.

So, much as I try to do my bit, I find my home littered with the things I just don’t know how to recycle but lack the careless attitude to just simply throw them away. Anyone requiring any plastic bags, empty perfume boxes, bubble wrap, polystyrene pieces, a tin of miniature safety pins or a pot of red elastic bands feel free to contact me.

© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/578511-Waste-Not-Want-Not