*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/579129-April-13-Current-Reading--Quotes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#579129 added April 13, 2008 at 11:03am
Restrictions: None
April 13 Current Reading & Quotes
Just read Joshilyn Jackson's 3rd and 1st novels, The Girl Who Stopped Swimming and gods in Alabama and am waiting on the library system to provide me with the 2nd novel of the most excellent Ms. Jackson, Between, Georgia. I picked up The Girl Who Stopped Swimming not quite knowing what to expect, but was captivated by the blurb. Granted, I've lived in the South for 34 years and have some of the Southern mentality, but I think even non-Southerners and folks from other cultures would love these books. Ms. Jackson just grasps the reader by the throat and never lets go. I read each of these in an evening because I simply could not set either novel aside.





Another fantastic book I'm currently reading but rather more slowly, is Cornelia Read's richly literary debut mystery, A Field of Darkness, an examination of character, family background, geographical locale, and double murder two decades old against a backdrop of incredible richness and depth. I'm going slowly so as to savor her incredible turns of phrase.


Here's an example:





"By Monday night I was wallowing in the mood pool's deep end."






"With genes like that you want to keep a d*** close eye on the things that make your guy-wires twang. Seek outside verification. Get a professional opinion."






I could be all day quoting Ms. Read's literary style, but just go read the book. She also has a second book out: The Crazy School, which I hope to read soon via Library transfer also.



© Copyright 2008 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/579129-April-13-Current-Reading--Quotes