*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583170-Sunday-May-4-2008
Rated: 13+ · Book · Environment · #1392154
A modest journal.
#583170 added May 4, 2008 at 2:08pm
Restrictions: None
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Sunday, May 4, 2008

         Good morning! 

         I spent Saturday afternoon with my grandsons.  Believe it or not, I took a four-year-old and a six-year-old to the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts. 

         As soon as we entered the door with our coupon we were smilingly told we were in the wrong place, that the coupon was for the International Museum.  Then the girl started giving us directions to the International Museum, even though I continued to tell her no -- wrong coupon, right place.  Her smile quickly turned to a straight line as she took my money and gave each of us a sticker. 

         Now, none of us have to wonder about what's inside the Museium of Fine Arts...  For four-year-old Cody, a lot of "policemen."  The security guards were cautiously following us and radioing one another of our whereabouts throughout our stay.  Not a very pleasant way to explore a museum. 

         As soon as we walked through the door to the first exhibitions the boys were immediately warned not to touch the furniture -- meaning glass casings, etc., which I really didn't mind.  Cody immediately said, Let's go.  But we continued...  I didn't even mind being followed throughout our stay, but Cody couldn't enjoy himself.  He was too afraid of doing something wrong.  Cody kept saying, Let's go now, meemaw.  Even when we went into the "interactive" room where both boys colored in the outline of a vase with nicely sharpened colored pencils.  Cody was still concerned we were going to get in trouble.  Of course even in the "interactive" room, a security guard kept opening the door to check on us...  Needless to say, I don't think either of them will ask to go to the museum again.  Being followed and constantly monitored is intimidating and overwhelming, especially for a very obedient four-year-old.  After all, I was their chaperone and the museum didn't say no four-year-old or six-year-old boys are allowed inside -- though they were not gracious hosts to us.  I have to admit, I think Tyler enjoyed being pursued.  I reminded them both not to touch and not to run ahead just a few times.  The boys were very good despite Cody's feeling very unwelcome.

         I understand there is another place in St. Petersburg, which is more kid-friendly called "Great Explorations," or maybe it's "Great Expectations."  We certainly won't be returning to the Museum of Fine Arts anytime soon.

         I forgot to mention...  On Saturday, six-year-old Tyler, got mad at me and said, "You're old, meemaw."  I countered, "Well, you're a baby."  He just looked at me.  No more cutdowns after that. 

         Enjoy your Sunday.  I hope it is a peaceful and restful beginning to a wonderful week.

© Copyright 2008 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583170-Sunday-May-4-2008