*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585856
Rated: NPL · Book · Sci-fi · #1427903
A human takes an assistant teaching job to help alien students learn about human culture.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#585856 added March 31, 2009 at 4:34am
Restrictions: None
Neiru'li, "The Arrival"
   “Excuse me sir, sinekira.

   Eric opened his eyes at the gentle touch on his shoulder. Hovering gently over his shoulder was a young woman with a friendly smile and sparkling blue eyes. “Sorry to bother you, Mr. Freeman,” she said, “but you asked to be woken before we land.”

   “Oh… thanks.” Eric sat up and glanced out the small round window on his other side. Sure enough, the pitch-black of the Tunnel had been filled with the sparkling stars of normal space.

   “Just a few minutes, then.” The attendant smiled again and left for the back of the shuttle, occasionally stopping to wake other passengers.

   Farther down the shuttle, a small blue light blinked on, signaling the start of re-entry. The shuttle was nearly to Rinegu, the home-world of the Eraknians. It had been a long trip from Earth, but Eric was glad it had only taken a few days. The cheaper flights could take a week or more.

   As if someone was drawing a giant shade, the windows were filling with a vast expanse of white, blue, and green. The near-silent trembling of the ship’s StarDrive gave way to the more noticeable rumble of the atmospheric turbines. As nervous as Eric had felt leaving Earth, it couldn’t compare with how he felt now, about to land on an alien world. His brain knew it was safe, but his stomach wasn’t so easily convinced.

   At least they all look human, he thought to himself. If the Eraknians were giant bugs, I’d go nuts! He remembered the first time he’d seen an Eraknian. If you don’t look at their legs, or their hands… they’re just like humans!

   The turbines outside the small cabin whined as they prepared to settle the ship down on a landing platform. Eric had always told himself that flying was the easy part--the landing, however… He was relieved to feel the gentle bump as the shuttle’s braces touched down.

   After thanking the attendant near the door, Eric scrambled off the shuttle and onto the platform.

   At first, he was overwhelmed. The spaceport filled his entire range of vision, one massive mountain of decks and landing pads, all sitting on each other like a pyramid of giant plates. Buzzing through the air around this great shining beehive were craft of all sizes and shapes; enormous interstellar cruisers, scattered warships (all retired from battle), and tiny shuttles, whizzing back and forth from platform to platform or disappearing into the crystal-blue sky. But all the sounds overhead amounted to no more than that of moderate freeway traffic, hardly the thunder Eric would have expected.

   After the initial awe, Eric’s gaze was drawn down to the platform he stood on. Various machines were rolling, ambling, or finding more imaginative ways to wander about. Dozens of Eraknians were milling about also. Many were greeting those who had exited the shuttle, while a few directed the machines to refuel or unload the ship. Eric caught himself staring. The Eraknians’ legs were shaped more like a dog’s than a human’s, with the backwards-bending knee and all the weight resting on the toes. Even though he’d seen them before, it was a little unnerving up close. Now now, Eric told himself. Staring is rude in any culture…

   The rest of the Eraknian physique was much less jarring. They were taller than Eric--between six-and-a-half to seven feet overall, as he guessed it. With very few exceptions, they were of a uniform shape, more inclined towards a thin, athletic appearance. Their facial features were more-or-less human, though a bit narrower. Most of their almond-shaped eyes were deep red, but Eric was sure he saw at least one set that was purpler in color.

   A dozen of the Eraknians near the shuttle held large colorful banners with a number of odd symbols on them. Eric hurriedly yanked a bit of paper out of his pocket and reviewed the image drawn on it. He then found the banner with the symbol he needed: three curving white lines in the shape of a flowing river. Leaning idly on the base of the banner was a short man (by Eraknian standards--he was still an inch taller than Eric) with a very neat gray coat unfastened and hanging down to his knees. Add a tie and top hat and this guy could pass for a Victorian footman… Eric thought.

   “Urilo?” he said cautiously to the Eraknian holding the banner. The man straightened up from his slouch, then bowed. His sharp dark eyes and pointed nose were reminiscent of a bird, augmented by his unruly black hair and the head-tilting gesture he made as Eric approached.

   “Zir-Furiiman?” the Eraknian asked.

   “Yes. Eric Freeman,” Eric nodded, relieved, but also unnerved that the man wouldn’t make eye contact.

   “Jetu oru. Jirai sinié kiu.” The Eraknian bowed again.

   “Uh… sietirisé, ve ai Naikuno… is… not good yet. Sorry.”

   The Eraknian nodded. “Jetu am,” he said, pointing to himself. “Follow, jihaiku'li.”

   He relieved Eric of his travel bag, and marched into the main structure of the spaceport, with Eric tailing after.

   Eric sighed as the Eraknian led him through a grand arched doorway. It’s one thing to learn a new language in a class, he thought, and another to use it in real life. I’ll have to work on that…

***

   Iryin Gihekiré tried her best to keep the smug expression off her face. It wouldn’t do to act like she was higher than anyone else, no matter how truthful it was. After all, through much planning and many requests to the Kirhedo House, it was her school (a rank-ten school, no less) to receive the first hiyumans, wasn’t it? Just think, she told herself again, the first ten hiyumans to hold the rank of Teacher in Eraknivan… and they’re all coming to Jugir-Eviré!

   “Aya, zera-Gihekiré?”

   Iryin shook herself from her thoughts and turned. Enlae, her assistant, was fidgeting nervously and shuffling through a small sheaf of papers.

   “Yes Enlae, what is it?”

   “Excuse my asking, but was the flight correct? Did we come at the right time?”

   Count on Enlae, Iryin smiled to herself. Always the schedule on her mind. Still, Iryin’s gaze was drawn to the swarms of vehicles buzzing high overhead. “If anything had delayed him, I’m sure we would have been notified.”

   Iryin’s sensitive ears heard light footsteps approaching.

   “Besides,” came Aejik’s voice, “it’s better too early than too late, aru?

   Iryin breathed slightly in relief. She had been worried that Aejik wouldn’t make it in time, and he was the most necessary today. But that was his style. Always arriving at the last possible second.

   Aejik Zirega was middle-aged, but his handsome face and cheerful attitude seemed to negate this. Still, his warm red eyes were lined with light wrinkles when he smiled--a nearly perpetual state.

   “Zir-Zirega! G-good to see you today!” Enlae bowed to Aejik, who reciprocated.

   Iryin nodded her head. “I’d say you were just in time, but we can’t seem to decide what time it should be.” She slipped a sideways glance to her assistant. Red-faced, Enlae shrank down before dashing off to check the notice board again.

   “So no word on the last hiyuman yet?”

   Iryin shook her head. “The shuttle should be here any moment, though.”

   “You know, I’ve never liked the idea of shuttles,” Aejik said, glancing skyward at the hundreds of craft zipping about. “To spend several days in a small container whizzing through a Tunnel, with no stars even to watch? I’d find it maddening!”

   “Yes, well, not everyone can afford to travel in a cruiser. Besides, even the Governors choose smaller ships for efficiency.”

   “I’m perfectly happy on the ground, thank you. But I suppose someone has to do the traveling, aru?

   “Zer-Aejik, while I remember it I wanted to request something of you.”

   “Jun oru?”

   “Well, according to students and other faculty, you have a reputation as… a bit of a jokester, right?”

   “Occasionally, I suppose.”

   “Yes, well, I must ask you not to do anything that might frighten the hiyumans. If they’re already edgy enough, they may not understand. And we can’t have that, aru?

   Aejik bowed grandly with a grin. “Zera, I am flattered you see me as such an influence, but I wouldn’t dream of alienating our guests, if you’ll forgive the pun…”

   “Good,” Iryin said pointedly. “It’s settled. We have a reputation, after all….”

   “Zera-Gihekiré! Zir-Zirega!” Enlae reappeared, breathless. “He’s here! Jetu is bringing him now!”

   “Steady, Enlae,” Iryin said firmly. “Calm. No sense in upsetting our guest.”

   “Yes, zera… sinekira.” As Enlae tried to regain her composure, Iryin turned toward the main port gate. I suppose this is her first contact with a hiyuman, isn’t it? Iryin had already met the other nine, as well as a few hiyuman officials. She still wanted to personally greet every last one. Her position required a certain amount of formality, after all.

   As Jetu emerged from the gate, she heard a small gasp from Enlae. Indeed, every hiyuman looked just as strange as the last. Too short, too clumsy, too loud. They were still fascinating to watch, on those ungainly monkey-legs of theirs….

   There was something about this one, though. While he still shook slightly from nerves, he had some manner of… weight about him. He wasn’t physically large--quite the opposite--but some invisible force seemed to hold him downwards. Whatever it was, Iryin decided she would not press him; troubled memories only bring future suffering, after all.

   Then, as the hiyuman drew closer, Iryin noticed his eyes. She was naturally accustomed to the common reddish-color in Eraknian eyes, and was even becoming used to brown or gray eyes from the hiyumans. She had never seen eyes the color of sky before.

   She realized she was staring and, twisting her head slightly, she stepped forward.

   “Welcome, welcome to Rinegu, zir-Furiiman,” she said, the clumsiness of the hiyuman’s language rolling off her tongue. She silently lamented her poor skills with foreign languages. “Good flight it was, yes?”

   “Uh… yes, thank you,” he replied. She noted the uneasiness in his voice. Just like Enlae, she smiled inwardly.

   “Iryin Gihekiré I am, of Jugir-Eviré University. Zera-Enlae Hajia this is, my assistant.”

   Enlae attempted a bow, but stumbled a bit. She dropped back, her face turning red. The hiyuman smiled sympathetically.

   “This is zir-Aejik Zirega. With him you will be working.”

   “Jirai ziriku,” Aejik said with a nod of his head. The hiyuman nodded back.

   “After one day, there is a orientation for you and your colleagues,” Iryin continued. “Zir-Zirega offered his home to you. I hope you enjoy your time here. I apologize I have business elsewhere today, but zir-Zirega will accompany you. Jirai sinié kiu.”--Glad to meet you.

   Iryin bowed and with one more glance into those blue eyes, she turned to leave. As she passed Aejik, she muttered, “You behave yourself, liyo aru?” She grinned as Enlae and Jetu followed her back towards the spaceport.

***

   As zera-Gihekiré left, Eric turned back to zir-Zirega. The Eraknian man was not old--thirty at most--and had a warmth about him that was clearest in his rich, dark-red eyes.

   “So,” Eric said amicably, “Amerika’eksu…?”--Do you speak English?

   “Yes, zir-Furiiman. Why? Do you not speak Naikuno?”

   “Not much. The lessons haven’t kicked in yet. Anyway, glad to meet you, zir-Zirega.”

   Zir-Zirega bowed. “Please. You must call me Aejik. You would tire of saying zir-Zirega all day.”

   “Well then, please call me Eric.”

   “Liru,” Aejik nodded. “If you will permit me, Erik, I have been wanting to try something.”

   “Uh… what?”

   “A handshake. It is an Earth greeting, is it not?” He held out his hand with the palm facing down.

   “Wha… Oh! Yes, of course!” He reached out and shook Aejik’s hand. It was definitely different than any other handshake Eric had done, mostly due to the shape of the Eraknian’s hand. The pointer and middle fingers were at least a half-inch longer than Eric’s, and were very strong. The pinky and ring finger were shorter, thinner, and delicate-looking--during the handshake, Aejik kept these two fingers folded tightly against his palm.

   When Eric released Aejik’s hand, Aejik grinned.

   “Thank you. I see hiyumans do that when they meet, and thought it would be fitting.”

   He clapped his hands together. “Well, Erik, are you hungry? Or tired, perhaps?”

   “There was a meal on the shuttle an hour or two ago, but I do feel tired.”

   “Eya, in that case we shall head straight to the train. This way, please.”

   Eric nodded and followed Aejik away from the spaceport.

***

   Ayina trudged along the dirt path, stopping to kick a stone every now and then. Normally she would wander off the road into the surrounding woods, or race her friend Neia back home. But not today. She just wasn’t in the mood.

   “So today’s the day, aru?” Neia asked.

   Ayina nodded. “Yeah. This evening, I think…”

   “I don’t know how you can stand it. An alien in your house?”

   Shifting the book satchel over her shoulder Ayina swung her wooden sword with her free hand, knocking a dead branch from an overhanging tree.

   “I don’t have a choice. Si-Si made it pretty clear.” She sighed. “I’ll just have to deal with it.”

   “I don’t know… My brother saw some hiyumans in the capitol. He says they’re loud and ugly and rude.”

   “Hey, I have no problem with the hiyumans on the whole. But this one… it doesn’t belong. But what can I do? Si-Si wants it here, Mirohya wants it here, even the Governors want it here! They don’t care what I have to say about it…”

   Neia slowed to a stroll, brushing several strands of black hair out of her eyes before covering her brow with her hand. Ayina grinned in anticipation. Many would mistake Neia’s motion for a headache, but Ayina knew better. It meant that Neia was planning something sneaky.

   “Okay,” Neia said finally. “Everyone wants it to be here, aru?

   “Yeah.”

   “And you definitely don’t, yeah?”

   “Is there a point here?”

   “Oh yes. Can they still keep it here if it doesn’t want to stay?”

   Ayina stopped. “Wait… what?”

   “Think about it! If the hiyuman suddenly wants to leave, they can’t really stop it, can they? It would look bad to keep it against its will, aru?

   Brilliant! “Why didn’t I think of that?”

   Neia swaggered forward with her eyes closed. “You’re welcome. The only question now is are you and Rin up to the challenge?”

   Ayina’s grin broadened.

***

   Already Eric could tell life in Eraknivan would be far different from life in old California. For one thing, when he and Aejik finally stepped off the train from the spaceport, there were no cars anywhere around. In fact, there was barely any sign of civilization at all; there were only trees and grass. The sleek train and the cement platform were as out-of-place as a racecar on a ranch. And while the spaceport had been buzzing with engines and fans, the train platform only buzzed with a few insects.

   Aejik led Eric and the luggage off the platform to a horse and two-seater carriage. Or at least, it looked like a horse, but there were some lingering traces of deer in it as well, like the triangular profile of the head or the thin legs and cloven hooves.

   When Eric asked why he used a horse, Aejik had simply said, “You can’t talk to a machine.”

   Indeed, as the carriage rattled along (the ride was surprisingly smooth, though) Aejik kept saying things to the horse like “Just a bit further,” or “Nice clear night.” The animal never responded, but the Eraknian didn’t seem to mind. It reminded Eric of how his sister spoke to her fish, not really caring if it heard her or not. Just talking for talking’s sake.

   An hour passed and the sky was rapidly dimming to deep blue. Not the misty sort of blue back on Earth, but a clear rich color like a blueberry. The stars never faltered; they just sat shining lazily in their dark blanket.

   On one side of the road was an endless stretch of broad-leaved trees. Though the space between them was mostly dark, every now and then Eric would catch a glimmer of light, as if some of the stars had fallen off of their perch.

   The other side sloped downwards rapidly from the road, the grassy hillside disappearing into the night. Occasionally, when the road turned, Eric though he heard the light sound of water trickling, perhaps from a stream or canal.

   Eric shivered slightly. “It’s a bit cool tonight, isn’t it?”

   “Is it?” Aejik said. “It is normal for this time of the year.”

   “Really? I thought it was summer in Eraknivan.”

   “Well, we are on the tail-end of the warm season now. It will continue cooling off until the snows arrive in a few months. I hope you packed some warm clothing--it will get much colder by then.”

   Aejik turned to give Eric a reassuring smile, and Eric faltered. Though he couldn’t see the Eraknian’s face clearly in the dark, he could still make out two eyes, shining as if lit from the inside. Though he felt no threat to his personal safety, those eyes conjured mental images of night animals, like owls or wolves. Eric was momentarily unsettled, but the feeling as quickly as it had come.

   The path turned away from the stream and into the trees. A few minutes passed before the carriage creaked to a halt.

   “Here we are!” Aejik said cheerfully as he hopped out of his seat.

   Eric clambered after him into the dimly lit clearing. The horse had stopped in front of the oddest building Eric had ever seen. It was vaguely cylindrical, and obviously divided into two layers. The bottom layer was fatter and less of a distinct shape. It seemed to stretch out in some areas, and there was a door set squarely (although it was a round door) in the center. The grass around the house rose up around the base, as if the ground was trying to grow over the building.

   The second level looked to be a perfect cylinder, and the sides were made of many panels of glass, although it was too high up for Eric to see anything inside.

   After taking in the house, Eric tried to get his surroundings. There were many trees, but he could see quite well between the broad leaves and branches to the areas beyond. Judging by the distant lights, the nearest houses couldn’t have been less than a quarter-mile away, giving the building an air of isolation. Still, Eric couldn’t help feeling a sort of peace over the place.

   Aejik led Eric and the horse around the side of the house to a slightly larger door than the one in front. Aejik lifted a bar-shaped handle and the door slid out of the way, revealing a small stable. There was one other horse already inside, which seemed to cheer up at the sight of the carriage-horse.

   Eric helped the Eraknian unhitch the carriage and feed the horse. Aejik lifted Eric’s bag from the carriage and motioned Eric to be silent, then led him inside another door attached to the main building.

   Stalking on tiptoes, Eric followed as quietly as he could, but he noticed Aejik’s movements were far quieter, and seemed to take much less effort. Like an upright cat, he thought.

   The inside of the house was modestly decorated. The stable opened up into a large room with a few sofas in a circle at the center. The walls--made of many narrow panels of wood--were engraved with Naikuno letters and other small symbols. Eric could see a few ordinary rectangular doors along one wall, and one larger round door that presumably led to the front yard. Along a different wall, a set of broad stairs led up to the second level, while another set disappeared beneath the floor. It was down these steps that Eric followed Aejik.

   The lowest floor was dimly lit, and while Aejik effortlessly descended the stairs, Eric had to squint for fear of missing a step. It hardly mattered. His foot caught on something on a lower step. He let out a yelp of surprise as he tumbled forward, landing hard on the wood floor. He felt hands in the dark seize his arm and help him to his feet… but something was odd. These hands were far too small to be Aejik’s.

   Eric blinked as a set of lights slowly brightened to illuminate the room. A set of eyes was shining in the lightening room near his shoulder.

   “Siar oru zi?” said the eyes.

   Eric blinked again. Standing before him was an Eraknian girl, who couldn’t have been more than fourteen. Like Aejik,

   “Ayina!” Aejik said reproachfully. “Jun i kiu zi?

   “Aiguat, Si-Si” the girl replied and scampered off. The object Eric had tripped on--a small furry animal--darted after her.

   “I apologize,” Aejik said. “I thought she would be asleep at this hour. Or she was supposed to be, at least.”

   “That’s okay,” said Eric, rubbing his bruised shoulder. “That was your daughter?”

   “One of them. Watch out for her, though; she can be mischievous sometimes.”

   Aejik produced a small white disc out of a cabinet and handed it to Eric, gesturing to the bruise. As soon as he touched the disc, Eric felt cold. He pressed it to his shoulder and followed Aejik down a hallway.

   The underground level was much bigger than the upper ones, but all Eric had seen so far was one long curving corridor. After maybe five closed sliding doors, Aejik stopped and pulled one open. A few feet from the door was a platform, raised about a foot off the ground. The platform was covered with cushions and blankets, obviously a bed.

   “This will be your room while you are staying here,” Aejik said, gently setting Eric’s travel bag in a corner by the door. “We’ve set aside a sleep-robe for you there. In case you need it during the night, there is a lavatory at the end of the hall that way. At the other end, behind the stairs, is the dining area. We will be in there tomorrow morning. If you need anything else, my door is the first one we passed. Sleep well. Aitu tiku.”-- Good night.

   “Ksie irrei, aitu tiku,”-- And to you.--Eric answered as Aejik stepped out and slid the door shut.

   Eric turned and flopped onto the bed. He suddenly realized how tired he really was, and the thin cushions were surprisingly comfortable. He wasted no time in falling asleep.
© Copyright 2009 BD Mitchell (UN: anigh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BD Mitchell has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585856