*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587333-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1430797
An action-packed thriller in the vein of Dan Brown...
#587333 added May 26, 2008 at 7:28pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Chapter 2


Senator Roberto Rodriguez should have been grinning from ear to ear, he had won an unwinnable battle and was now coasting into his forth month as the junior senator of the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Instead, fear and panic filled his veins.
         Rodriguez stood upon a podium constructed just outside the Massachusetts State House, in the Beacon Hill district of Boston--mounds of snow cluttered the cityscape, undeniable proof of the record snowfalls from months prior--his face now flooded with flashbulbs, floodlights, and the searing heat of a midday sun. The media had been swarming since early morning; now, all eyes were on him.
         Rodriguez had slaved for two years, campaigning against Massachusetts's senior senator. Most called him crazy for trying; but he was a real family man and had worked his tail to the bone, spreading the word about his belief in Deity and in the strength of true family values. Roberto Rodriguez knew, if anyone could beat the odds, it would be him; and much to everyone's surprise, he had dethroned a political icon.
         Soon he would speak to the media.
         This was a very unexpected event.
         The media--not just from Massachusetts, but New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, even areas of New York--were called in. They had been told to expect an announcement so grand, it would assure front page coverage for as far as their media tentacles could reach.
         They couldn't imagine what the recently elected senator could have to say. What could possibly be so important? Rumors spread like wildfire. Everything from, he's going to step down, to he lied about Kennedy's affair, to he has a gay lover who he intends to marry at Boston's Trinity Church.
         But what Senator Rodriguez was about to tell the world would truly send the media into a frenzy, and would likely get him killed. Yet he had no choice. It was not a secret he could simply hide away; shove off into the dark recesses of his confused mind. The unthinkable was happening; and the people needed to know--they must know.
         Every eye, every camera, was plastered on the senator, the first person ever to dethrone a Kennedy without a bullet. Without a single word said, this was proving to be headline material. Every television and radio station and newspaper within two-hundred miles were present.
         Senator Rodriguez turned and faced the crowd; his hands extended wide; his wife, sixteen-year-old daughter, and twelve-year-old twin boys crowded in around him. Everyone had been so comfortable with the decision to make him their voice. But the unorthodox nature of this event had suddenly peaked everyone's uncertainty.
         Through the thick of heads, hands, and colorful banners, raised a silver microphone, placed high on a stand in front of the senator.
         Without hesitation the senator grabbed hold.
         SNAP!
         SIZZLE!

         An arc of light ripped through the sky like a blade of lightening, carving deep into the crowd; it was a miracle no one was struck. The reek of burning flesh filled the air; followed by a high pitch squeal--the type air makes as it speeds through the stem of an over-inflated balloon.
         Screams fired from the podium--a woman, crying for the life of her husband.
         Few in the crowd could see what was happening, just those standing in the front rows, who instantly broke into sobs. They had just witnessed Senator Rodriguez disintegrate before their eyes. A few began to vomit, others tried to run but were held back by the crowd.
         With a thud Senator Rodriguez fell to the podium floor. His wife reeled in horror, tears gushing from her mascara smeared eyes.          She crouched down beside her husband and retrieved a half-charred piece of paper. Lifting it into the bright camera lights she unfurled it for the world to see.
         "What the hell's going on?" she cried.
         Rodriguez had been right; the media went crazy.
         It was yet another Newton Paper.


** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
© Copyright 2008 Keith Katsikas (UN: kkatsikas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Keith Katsikas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587333-Chapter-2