*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588293-Rocky-Road
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#588293 added May 31, 2008 at 11:07pm
Restrictions: None
Rocky Road
It's been an exhausting week, both at work and at home.

At work we're working on a large project that consists of a subdivision plat, water, sewer and street plans. We're doing things a bit backward in that we're installing the water, sewer and streets before we have a final plat. Not wise, and my complaint below is an example why.

The client keeps changing the plat, and when the plat gets changed, everything else has to change as well. Drives me nuts. Granted they're paying for it, but it's irritating that all the work we've done previous is now useless and wasted. We're talking weeks of man-hours (and not just mine) and thousands of dollars. At one point I thought, "banging my head against a wall is more productive than this."

The latest was a change in one area of the plat; we had to move one road ten feet and another 33 feet.

The project manager then asks me every day for almost two weeks to get him the final grade points for that area. Each time I told him I couldn't until I made the changes to the plat first and had the client okay them. In the meantime I was on a tight schedule to complete the water, sewer and street plans for another area, so that took precedence.

I didn't want to figure points for the survey and construction crew, and then come back a week later with major changes. That's more of a waste of time and again lots of money.

Still he bothered me about it, getting more irritated with me each time. I refused to budge.

Then comes Friday when the construction company owner said he wouldn't touch that area until he had a set of plans. Finally, the project manager backed off. What pissed me off most is that he ignored my advice, yet took that of the construction company - when it was the same. Grrrrr! I hate being treated as if I don't know beans about my work. After doing this for 15 years, I think I've earned the right to be listened to.

I could claim it's because I'm a woman and the construction company is owned by a man, but I don't know that for certain. Besides, his reasons don't mean anything to me. I will be heard, and I cannot be moved if I know I'm right. My gender has nothing to do with it. Only through my actions will the project manager understand that. Eventually, because he'll have no other choice.

On the home-front, Tom (my step-dad) is having difficulty adjusting to his new life - such as it is. He still feels in limbo - hating North Dakota, but with all of his family now outside Fort Collins, Colorado is lonesome. He hates being back there almost as much as he hates being here.

What made it worse is Maxine, their 12-year-old miniature schnauzer, had a stroke. She was given a 50-50 chance to survive. That was a week ago. She has her good hours and her bad hours. It's a terrible emotional rollercoaster ride for him and my mom, seeing her doing well with eating, drinking and moving around - including running - to an instant change where she loses her balance and can't get up. I think they'll decide in the next few days to put her down. Dave is making a coffin (at Tom's request) for her now.

It's difficult to see a parent so heartbroken.

Tom's only bright light is Thomas. I wish it were enough, or that he could see everything else he has going for him, which is a lot. He's extremely healthy and after less than two years here he's built up a reputation as an excellent and trustworthy welder.

That's difficult to do anywhere, let alone a state full of picky people who don't easily trust people they haven't known for years.

But it's the weekend, so I'll take advantage of it by resting and playing with my son. Every time he smiles or laughs, everything in this strange, mixed up world makes sense.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588293-Rocky-Road