*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588403
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1433593
This is the fourth in the series "Chronicles of Vesna"
#588403 added June 1, 2008 at 2:59pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
         The entire Earth Defense Squadron as well as all of the airmen from Nellis were on the tarmac as Vesna settled down into her space.
         They all snapped to attention and saluted as Mike opened the airlock door.  Mike, the Admiral, and General Gerasov returned the salute before Misha called out, "At ease."
         The admiral addressed the troops, "This is what they hired us to do; defend the Earth against all problems from space.  Today we had the opportunity to do just that.  I know all of you would have liked to be in on the mission, but as you saw, it wasn't necessary.  My gut tells me that we're going to have plenty of opportunity to use all of your skills in the future."
         A roar of jet engines drowned out the rest of what the Admiral had to say as the Air Force Thunderbirds made a low pass over the field in formation.  Directly above them, upside down, were five of Mike's pilots in their MiGs.  The entire formation circled back over the field and began a steep climb with smoke trailing from their wingtips.  All of a sudden, the MiGs stopped dead, hanging suspended in the air, while the Thunderbirds continued up another several thousand feet, and executed a bomb burst where four of the jets arc out and the fifth corkscrews down the center.  At about 5,000 feet, they all leveled out and left in four different directions, crossing over the center of the field.
         Suddenly Mike's aircraft began to climb, performed the same maneuver, except they did full loops, and reformed climbing straight up until they were completely out of sight above the men.
         "I don't remember seeing that on the training schedule General," Mike said as he half-squinted at Mikhail.
         General Gerasov drew to attention, grinning.  "Squadron, dismissed!"
         The men all relaxed and broke out into spontaneous applause.
         
         There was a knock on Mike's open door.
         "What can I do for you, sergeant," Mike waved the man in.
         "Sergeant Kowalski, sir.  I have a rather large favor to ask."
         "Shoot."
         "I'm scoutmaster for the local Air Scouts troop on the base.  I was wondering if I could get a tour of Vesna.  The kids have always been impressed, but after today, I know they're totally out of their minds."
         "No sweat, sergeant.  When's your next troop meeting?"
         "I know this is short notice, but it's tonight."
         "Great!  Get me a list of their names, and I'll arrange clearance at the gate."
         "Will do!  And thank you sir.  We'll assemble here at 19:00."  The sergeant turned on his heel and exited the office. 
         Mike pressed a button on his intercom.  "Vesna, have the crew on board at 18:00.  I have a job for them."
         "They're all still here except the Admiral and Mikhail.  You're not going to do what I think your going to, are you?"
         Mike just grinned, "I'll never tell."
         
         Sergeant Kowalski and 20 boys and 10 girls were at attention in front of the airlock at 19:00 as promised as Mike appeared through the door.  The group snapped a salute, which Mike returned.
         "Sergeant, bring your squadron in.  The elevator is on the opposite wall. 
         Mike closed the airlock and followed the group over to the elevators.  Each of the youths were wide-eyed as they looked around.
         "This is the science section.  You'll see the doors to the laboratories around the perimeter."
         One of the scouts raised a hand and Mike nodded.
         "Sir, you made this in your backyard?"
         "No son.  That was the prototype for this ship.  Sukhoi in Russia fabricated this section.  The top section was fabricated by Lockheed-Martin in Atlanta."
         The youths looked around more.
         "If you'll follow me, I'll show you the other decks.  Sergeant, if you'll bring up the rear, we're going to the second deck."
         Mike took a group up to the living quarters and waited for the elevator to deliver the rest of the group. Now the group was incredulous as they exited the elevator into the expansive living area.
         "Sir, I've seen photographs of the old space shuttle and even the International Space Station.  My living room isn't this large or comfortable."
         Mike just smiled.  "I like my people to be comfortable."
         He walked across the space and opened his stateroom door.
         Now it was sergeant Kowalski's turn to be blown away. "The last cruise I was on, my stateroom wasn't this big."
         "This is where I stay when I'm on base.  It's a little more comfortable than base housing."
         "I'll say!"
         The group all trooped past his stateroom and gaped.  Mike led them over to the galley where they were impressed once again as he handed out bottles of soda.
         They finally re-entered the elevator with Mike in the lead.
         As they left the elevator, one of the young people behind Mike gasped, "Oh my God!  They're all here."
         The youths boiled out and Mike sent the elevator down for the other load.
         Directly in front of the elevator they could see Misha's, Carol's, and Oksana's backs sitting at their positions.  The reporters were off to one side and Admiral Teramore was sitting in his usual seat.
         This scene repeated as the elevator opened again with the young people tripping over each other.
         Mike started again, "I want all of you to meet General Mikhail Gerasov, my pilot."
         Misha got up and shook hands with the group.
         "This is his wife and my navigator, Carol Gerasova."
         Carol repeated the gesture.
         "And my chief engineer, Oksana Ivanova."
         Oksana also shook hands all around.
         "Over to the side is Sharon Manson, Carol's mother, and next to her is my wife, Svetlana Angelskova.  She's also the General's mother.  In addition, this is Admiral Teramore, my deputy around here.
         "You're all the people who went to Mars.  I was only four at the time," one girl said in amazement, "but I've seen excerpts of that trip on television.  I also watched you go to another galaxy a couple of years ago."
         "That's us," Mike replied.  "Mikhail was your age when he first flew this bucket of bolts and so were the ladies."
         "I resent that!" came Vesna's feminine voice.
         "Oh, pipe down."
         "Humpf," came Vesna's reply.
         "Look!  That's neat!  They've got a tape up of a space flight." The boy pointed to a monitor labeled "down". 
         "That's where we've been. Here's where we're going." Mikhail pointed to the large ceiling monitor without turning around.
         "Wow," said another youth as all eyes looked up. "That's a fantastic video."
         "That's not a video," Misha said in a deadpan voice, again not turning.  "That's live."
         There was a scattered, "sure" and "right" from the group.
         "OK Vesna.  Turn it off for five seconds," Mike said.
         There was a sudden flip-flopping of stomachs in the room as Vesna cut her internal gravity.  A few of the young people began to drift off the floor.  Mike kept a close eye to make sure nobody went too high.  He didn't need any sprained ankles when the gravity came back on.
         "Oh my God!  I'm in space.  I'm really in space," one girl wailed as Vesna gradually increased the gravity to match Earth's.
         "We're really in space," she continued as the tears welled up and began running down her face.  "I never dreamed I would ever make it into space!"
         "Always dream," Mike said gently.  "There's nothing you can't accomplish when you set your mind to it."
         Tears of joy were evident now on several other faces.
         "OK now, if you'll follow me back to the second deck, I've got some snacks to set out."
         "You don't have to do that," Kowalski said.  It was evident that, given the opportunity, he'd also break out in tears.
         "My pleasure.  Besides, the General needs to get us back before your 21:00 quitting time so that these kids can get home."
         Mike brought out several large trays of zakuskiy and tretya before rolling out a large cooler filled with soda. The young people milled around talking excitedly, most still in shock.
         The elevator opened and Oksana emerged with a box.  "We're home," she told Mike.
         Mike nodded, accepted the box, and held up a hand.  "OK, people, we're back in Nevada."
         They assembled again in front of the closed airlock.
         "Nobody will ever believe this!" said one boy.
         "Yes they will," Mike retorted.  He called out a name and the boy came forward.  Mike handed the young man a paper and a jewel case.
         "What's this?" the boy asked.
         "It's a certification that all of you now are officially astronauts."
         The boy's eyes bugged.  "The CD?"
         "It's a DVD.  Vesna recorded the entire tour and the trip.  If anybody thinks you're lying, play it for them.  We didn't have this on television because I'd have every group in the world on my back for tours and I'd never get anything done."
         When he got to the name of the girl who had broken out in tears, again she became weepy.  "I will never again goof off in school," she blubbered as she hugged Mike.  "I can't thank you enough."
         "Your succeeding will be all of the thanks I'll ever need."
         Mike finished the list, including handing the sergeant his certificate.
         "There is absolutely no way I can ever express my gratitude for what you've done tonight," Kowalski say as the two shook hands.  "I know there are a lot of lives that just took a right turn."
         "Believe me sergeant, it was my pleasure.  If I can inspire even one kid, my life is complete.  By the way, what do you do over at the base?"
         "I'm in aircraft maintenance."
         "Would you like to work with my people?"
         "What?" the sergeant's eyes bugged.
         "I like your attitude.  You obviously believe that kids are our future because you're a scoutmaster.  I've said that many times and I need people like you around me."
         "You really mean it?" the sergeant was anxious.
         "Of course.  I've got some influence around here and I can talk to your C.O. first thing in the morning."
         "Oh my God, YES!"
         "It's a done deal, then."
         The sergeant exited to round up his troop and get them home as Lana came up behind Mike.
         "That was a wonderful thing you did tonight.  It even brought tears to my eyes."
         Then she completely caught Mike off-guard with an elbow to the solar plexus.  "And if you ever cut the gravity on me again, this tin can will be your permanent home!"
         




Ben W. Gardner
Sedona, Arizona

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." --Isaac Asimov

http://ca.geocities.com/vladilyich/

In The Beginning - ISBN:  1-4116-3848-4
Just In Time - ISBN 1-4116-3851-4
Ad Astra - ISBN: 978-1-84728-518-8
In stores and at Amazon.Com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-1761779-3946261?url=search-alias%3Daps&...
© Copyright 2008 Ben W. Gardner (UN: vladilyich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ben W. Gardner has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588403