*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588412
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1433593
This is the fourth in the series "Chronicles of Vesna"
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#588412 added June 1, 2008 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10
         "What the devil is this stuff?" Dr. Jameson said as he backed away from the gas chromatograph in his laboratory on Vesna.  He walked over to the laser quantometer and picked up several sheets of analysis. 
         "This totally defies analysis.  Atomic weight is wrong.  Specific gravity is wrong.  Properties are wrong.  It's magnetic, but it really isn't.  When I put it on the scale, the weight fluctuates.  I'd swear this is similar to what I saw 15 years ago in Sedona.  I need to borrow a piece of equipment from the University to be absolutely be certain, but this stuff creates what they call a 'Vortex' there."
         "There's some of this stuff on Earth?" Oksana asked.
         "I swear this has to be what's creating the phenomenon there.  When I get the gravito-magnetometer from school, I'll compare the readings and I can tell you absolutely."
         "I haven't studied their engines yet, but this is fuel they use for faster than light travel.  Mike thinks it might be practical to trade with these guys and make every country here space bound.  Mike wants you to investigate and make certain it's not dangerous and can't be used for weapons.  Once I understand their propulsion system, I can make certain it can't be a weapon."
         "Is Carol around?"
         "Yes.  She's upstairs with Misha."
         "If what I suspect is true, I'm going to need her to project some numbers about the way stuff appears to create spatial anomalies.  I'm just a materials and geology guy, but from what I've seen so far, this metal is here, but it really isn't here.  I need her ability to think in multiple dimensions to help put this all together."
         "I'll tell her when I go up.  I have an appointment in about an hour to meet with their engineer.  They've agreed to open their database totally to us.  I don't think I've been this excited since Mike invited me to come with you in Moscow."
         "I'll call down to our engineering department about borrowing the equipment.  See if Misha can get someone to pick it up for me when you see him.  The last time I borrowed it, it was destroyed by lightning."
         
         "Captain," Mike said to the alien, "If these gentlemen here agree, I think that we will have a mutually satisfactory agreement.  Once Oksana reports about the feasibility of modifying our designs to use your fuel and propulsion, we can begin recruiting some body guards for your people."
         "That would be perfect," Captain Roshama replied.  "We wish to only trade in peace.  When it becomes known that your people will accompany us, I believe that the interference will stop."
         "I will have to present this to my Congress," President Link said.  "I do not think there will be a problem getting approval.  Because of this man here," he waves at Mike, "our military budget is now less than 30 percent of what it was ten years ago.  Nobody is fighting with anybody so we haven't needed them.  This will be a perfect excuse to build the military up again."
         "Da!  Every time our Air Force trains some pilot who is very good, this man takes them away with better pay.  If we agree to protect you, we can again expand our military and improve our position."
         Mike just grinned at both Presidents and shrugged his shoulders.
         "I believe our security council will have no problem," the United Nations Secretary said as he made some notes on a pad.
         "Well Captain," Mike turned to the alien.  "I believe we will have an agreement within a week.  Gentlemen," he turned to the presidents, "It looks like I'm going to have to steal more of your people in the near future."
         Link made a sour face, but Dubinov smiled.  The group stood and all shake hands with the alien before Mike opens the door and they all walk out.




Ben W. Gardner
Sedona, Arizona

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." --Isaac Asimov

http://ca.geocities.com/vladilyich/

In The Beginning - ISBN:  1-4116-3848-4
Just In Time - ISBN 1-4116-3851-4
Ad Astra - ISBN: 978-1-84728-518-8
In stores and at Amazon.Com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-1761779-3946261?url=search-alias%3Daps&...
© Copyright 2008 Ben W. Gardner (UN: vladilyich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ben W. Gardner has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588412