*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592880
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1442979
Previously called a girl named Skip, part of the Malthra series
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#592880 added June 24, 2008 at 4:00pm
Restrictions: None
Life as it is
"Please Miss, I'm suppose’ to be doing that."
Skip looked up at Lira and laughed."Your new here, aren't you?"
"Is it that obvious?"Lira asked timidly.
"I always help with the work and gardening happens to be one of my favorites."
Lira's eyes widened," But you're the barons daughter."
Skip was thrown into another giggle fit," I also have no intention of becoming a social unicorn, there are far too many of those."
"You're the baron’s daughter!"
"Yes, I am," Skip sized Lira up. She was about fourteen. Her body was not mature as would suit her age, but that was common amongst the girls. She had black hair that was done in a loss braid with several free strands and a simple face that was pretty in its own way. If you were to see the two of them together you would think your eyes were deceiving you.
Skip was also fourteen but had a decidedly different appearance. First noticed would probably be her height. Being almost seven froyes tall she stood a good froye and a half over most of the other girls and rivaled several of the men. She was well formed and had very long and slender legs. Her hazel blonde hair danced all the way to her waist and was always well kept. Her chocolate cream eyes shown out like a sardonyx.
"Lira, I'd be out here whether or not I was the baron's daughter so stop complaining and help me with this." Lira stood dumbstruck a few seconds more, but them leaned down and helped.
"Miss, if you don't mind my saying, you look nothing like the baron."
"I know that," Skip replied sitting up straighter and dusting some dirt off her white sleeve, "I figure I got more of my mother's looks."
"I've never seen your mother."
"I'm not surprised, I think she is dead. My father seldom speaks of her or refers to her as anything other than my 'other parent'. I think it pains him too much."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be, it's not like it was your fault." Skip was about to pull another weed from the soil when she heard.
"Mistress you’re wanted in the house." It was Marri their chief housekeeper.
Skip rocked back on her legs dusted her hands off," Haven't I already mastered everything there is for a young lady to know."
"Dancing, language, art, singing, sewing, and riding hardly count as everything, Ski-perthra Rayleia," Skip winced slightly at the use of her full name. It was such a mouthful that it was hardly used by anyone except Marri, when she wanted her point to be got across, most of the town in any formal setting, her father, when he wanted her attention, and Charlie, when he was trying to bug her.
"Who’s he trying to marry me off to this time?"
Marri scowled," You are going to have to do that eventually but that’s presently not the case."
"Then what is it?"
"Goodness girl, you ask a lot of questions now get along, you know how your father gets," Skip slid her feet under herself and rose, she immediately was over a froye and a half taller than Marri." Skip, how many times do I have to tell you to keep your shoes on?"
"My shoes are on."
"Backwards?"
Skip looked down at her feet. Sure enough she had put her feet in the wrong shoes when she had slid them on while she was getting up.
"I don't like to wear shoes, they're too constricting."
"How would you know that, you're almost never wearing them. Off with you."
Skip smiled and, before Marri could protest, had her shoes in her hand, with the other grabbing the folds of her dress, was off toward the house at a dead run.
"I don't know how the master can put up with her,” Marri sight absent-mindedly to no one in particular.
“How do you mean?” Lira asked as she laid another weed into the mass that had accumulated beside her. Marri looked at her.
“You’ll soon see.”

Skip raced toward the house. The door men noticed her and quickly stepped forward to unlatch the large oak doors. She nodded to them as she passed and continued down the corridor. She stopped before one of the house maids and asked where her father, baron Rayleia, could be found.
“He’s in the north study, miss.” Skip thanked the girl and went in the indicated direction. Her footsteps echoed in the cavernous halls as she moved toward the study. Servants bustled around her, barely heeding her presence as she moved among them, a flame within a blazing fire.
She finally entered the study, her father turned to smile at her. He always looked distinguished; he was wearing a black fibrace suit that had been custom made for him in the town of Bre with gold buttons and fine silver inlay.
“Skip, you have a letter,” he extended his hand where the note sat open and ready for reading.
“Reading my mail again,” Skip purred as she came forward to receive the letter.
“Someone has to lookout for you if you won’t do it yourself,” Skip too the letter and started to read it,” it’s from Sandra Kalony inviting you to a party she is having.” Skip looked from the letter to her father then moved her gaze to the stack of mail on the writing desk.
“Who am I suppose’ to meet?”
“I beg your pardon?” her father exasperated mockingly.
“The only reason you summon me to come get the mail after you’ve read it is so that you can make sure I’m going to whatever the thing is about.”
“You’re too quick for me, I have received a letter from baron Shroder, his son is coming this way and has been invited to this party as well. It is my wish that you be introduced.”
“Won’t he be dining with us the day after anyway?” Skip asked absentmindedly as she started to rummage through the papers on the desk.
“Yes,” her father placed his hand on top of the pile Skip was looking through,” But I want you to go and see what he is like, so you can give me a report.”
“Then why don’t you go yourself?” She asked moving to another mound.
“Because, I wasn’t invited,” he tapped the letter for emphasis,” and wouldn’t it look funny for baron Rayleia to show up at a party that his daughter was invited too without her?”
Skip kept with her search as she tried to stifle a laugh.
“Charlie hasn’t written,” he said after watching her a few minutes.
“Oh,” Skip immediately stopped looking.
“Now run along.”
“Aw, can’t I stay with you daddy?” She asked mirroring a toddler’s voice perfectly and leaning on his desk.
“Why not, you can help me write some business letters.”
“See you at supper,” She said quickly, getting off the desk. She kissed her father and went off. He caught her hand and kissed her fingers.
“I love you, Skip.”
“I love you too, daddy,” She returned as she spun and flew through the just opened door.
Skip caught up the folds of her violet skirt and ran up the stairs. Her billowing white sleeves fluttered in the wind and played around the edges of her burgundy bodice. She reached the top of the stairs and headed for the drawing room. Servants dodged out of her way like this was routine, one house keeper dropped a pile of towels. She reached the drawing room and was out on the balcony that overlooked most of her father’s property. The extensive meadow, the forest, and several villages under his jurisdiction met her. Birds flew effortlessly in the sky and she even caught an occasional glimpse of a griffon or dragon. She sighed, feeling the late spring breeze as it fluttered through the trees and new growth on the Malthrean hills. She longed to go out there, to see the secrets Malthra hid and baited her with.
She looked down to the avenue in time to see a horseman ride into the shadow of the great house. He rode well, one with his horse, in complete control of where they were going. She knew few people that could command such a presence. Her heart leapt as she took to the stairs. Could it be; could it be him?
She entered the hall just in time for the doors to be opened to allow passage to the visitor. She panted in anticipation, not from the run down the several flights of stairs. The man entered, from the way the doorkeeper welcomed him you could tell he was well known.
“Charlie,” Skip squealed as she ran up to him.
He turned sharply and embraced her.”Not even going to let me take my coat off?” He joked as he surrendered his riding cape and gloves to the butler.
“This explains why you didn’t write.”
“Shall we walk?” Charlie motioned toward the passage leading to courtyard. Skip was ecstatic; she hadn’t seen Charlie in over a month. He had gone on business at the first turn of the moon and had, as always, been prompt in corresponding with her.
“Well, what did you find out?” she demanded, unable to contain her curiosity and longer.
“Well when I got the chance I went to the library to see if they had any information it,”
“And?”
“Let me finish, they have very few if not no books on the study of name origins.”
“But you did find something?” Skip asked as she sat on one of the benches.
“A little, you see there was a fire sometime ago and half the library burned. When that happened, a large section of the whole history of Malthra was lost. I was however able to dig up a few books that were rescued from the blaze,” he sat beside her,” from what I read out of those few books, I think that your name is actually a word from an ancient language that was once spoken by the people that used to live here.” Charlie looked quite happy with himself. Skip knew that Charlie loved routing through the old text books and had asked him for that reason.
“You mean from that race that you had been investigating?”
“The very one.”
“The Ucits?”
“U-citos. Yes, I suspect it to be the one,” here he pulled a small scrap of partially singed paper from his waist coat pocket.”This is a shroud of a page from one of the books that got caught in the blaze. Listen to this, listen to this,

The U-citos don’t seem able to speak our language, and are continually babbling on in words that none of us understand. They are curious not only in speech but also in appearance. I declare, they must at least be half beast. They walk upright the same as we do, but they own hooves and tails. One of my comrades has just spoken the name of our language to the U-citos. They looked around to a member of their party that has not fur or a tail; he inclined his head toward them as though he had said something. The U-cito, Maleda, to whom we were principle talking then pointed to its mouth and said clearly, “U-citian”. I can only imagine that this is the name of their language as all is still guess work.

“That was the account of Morfar, one of the first Kaserans in Malthra.”
“Well then the lessons I took were inaccurate, they told me that the Kaserans were the first beings in Malthra.”
“Well, considering what happened to the library, I imagine that there are those that would like us to think that way. But they won’t dissuade me, I’ll find that information if I have to search for years.”
Skip averted her gaze to the ground;” I suppose that means you are going off again soon.”
Charlie looked at her; he could see that their month of separation had been hard for her.
“I’m not going away directly; I mean to stay for a few weeks.”
“And then you’ll be gone.”
“You have a one track mind.”
“And you know otherwise,” Skip smiled coyly,” I believe it was always you that said I never could keep my attention on one thing long enough.”
“As I’m sure your instructors would agree, but alas I have been found out by my own words.”
“And a mind all too quick for you,” Skip added while chocking on a laugh. Charlie put his hands on either of her shoulders.
“Skip, I will come back soon. Don’t think I don’t see through that fiery spirit of yours to the sweet little girl underneath.”
“And if you do, you’re the only one that does,” she said triumphantly as she hugged him, “and I’ll miss you terribly.” Charlie’s broad arms closed around the small of her back.
“I won’t be gone long, I could never be gone long,” Charlie held her at arms’ length to look at her.
“Mistress,” one of the butlers called from the stairs,” Miss Ara awaits you in the east drawing room.”
“Thank you Stephan, I hope you didn’t tell her I was already with a guest.”
“No, mistress.”
“Good,” Skip laughed seizing Charlie’s hand, “that would take the fun right out of it, and don’t think I didn’t see you smile,” she directed over her shoulder at the man she now held in tow. She pulled dragged him up the stairs and into the house. When she reached the east drawing room, she shoved Charlie behind the door before going in.
“Fleo,” she greeted, as she walked into the room, “what brings you here?”
“Well,” Fleo shifted around uncomfortable,” I didn’t get any letter these past few days, and I know how much you two correspond. I guess what I’m trying to say is, have you had a letter from Charlie.”
“No,” Skip replied flatly, trying to suppress a smile.
“Oh,” moaned Fleo as she slumped into a chair,” I was so hoping you had heard something; I’m so worried that something terrible has happened to him.”
“Not as terrible as what’s being done to you,” Charlie sauntered into the room, “really Skip you shouldn’t play such nasty tricks on people.” By this time Fleo was around his neck and Skip was giggling in the corner.
“I see your little sister is using you in her games again.” Skip laughed even harder. Charlie wasn’t really her brother, but the way they interacted no one suspected otherwise.
“Yes and like any other older brother I should teach her a lesson.” Skip darted around the room when Charlie reached for her, he always played along.
“When did you get back,” Fleo asked as she watched Charlie chase the spry young girl around the room.
“Only just now,” he returned, lunging at Skip again.
“How long do you plan to stay?”
“Oomph,” Skip had gotten behind him and managed to jump on his back,” I would say till my business is complete, but Skip would make sure that never happened.” Fleo was sent into peals of laughter. The two truly looked absurd! Skip, though being of a slighter build, was not more than half a head shorter than Charlie, and Charlie, having let her get a secure grip, was now bucking around like a wild horse.
“Stop you two, you’re going to make me explode,” Skip and Charlie stopped laughing and looked at one another. They turned back blank faces to Fleo, but Skip’s sparking sardonyx eyes gave them away.”Oh, no you don’t.”
“Get her,” Skip squealed waving her fists in the air.
“Charlie!” Fleo pleaded as she raced toward the door. Too late, Charlie grabbed her middle and swung her around before the door opened.
“And I wonder where Skip gets it from,” Skip’s father, Justin, chuckled as he entered the room. Had it been any other person, they would have dropped Fleo and forced Skip off their back, but no, Charlie maintained his grip on Fleo as Skip maintained hers on him.
“Baron,” Charlie inclined his head, slightly out of breath.
“Charles.”
“Fleo, Skip,” Skip giggled as she slid down Charlie’s back to the floor.
“Found your fiancĂ© without having to go to her house I see.”
“I shall have to thank my ‘little sister’ for that.” Justin laughed heartily.
“If she ever had an older brother I’m sure you would be it.”
“He’s too old to be my brother.”
Justin turned a laugh chocked expression to his daughter,” many young ladies have brothers ten years their senior and older. But it may be just as well you don’t have siblings,” he turned to Charlie and Fleo, now with her feet on the ground,” Imagine having to deal with three Skips!”
“I’m not that bad,” she proclaimed over the others laughter; this just made them laugh harder.
“Skip,” Charlie finally managed,” You could take on an army by yourself.” Skip put her hands on her hips and looked at him defiantly. But her expressive eyes advertized her pleasure in the comment.
“So have you fixed a date yet?” Justin addressed Charlie after they had finally regained their composure, save Skip who was reeling slightly on one of the fainting couches.
“Not yet,” Charlie didn’t get a chance to finish.
“I would be driven positively mad with all this waiting, when I get married I shall only be engaged for at most a fortnight.”
“When you get married I shall be the first to watch a unicorn willingly humble itself.”
“I’m not that stubborn,” she protested as she kicked his heel.
“Maybe,” he turned to her,” but you are stubborn enough to make the likely hood of your getting married anytime soon impossible.”
“Yes, well, I intend to remedy that,” her father injected in an effort to stop the quarrel before it began.
“Yes, has he told you? He’s trying to marry me off again.” Fleo stifled a laugh but Charlie couldn’t suppress his.
“Who to?”
“Some guy’s son.”
“Skip, Jason Shroder is not just some guy’s son.”
Charlie whistled,” baron Shroder is probably one of the richest barons there is.”
“So, I don’t find any charm in the idea of betrothals and expectations of marriage because someone is rich.”
“If I may, Skip,” Fleo injected,” you don’t seem to find charm in the art of match making in general.”
“Quite the contrary, my dear Fleo, I vastly enjoy a good courtship, provided it is happening to someone else. I say, people do the most peculiar things when courting.”
“And what brought you to that conclusion?” Charlie asked sounding more like her brother than before.
“Example of course, I’ve watched you and Fleo ever since you got engaged and I am utterly convinced that love makes people crazy.”
“And that is why I’m trying to settle her down somewhere.”
“Dinner is ready, sir,” a servant said from the door.
“Charlie,” Skip asked as they walked down the hall,” Are you going to Sandra’s party?”
“Yes I thought I would. Oh I see, that is where you are to be introduced to Jason Shroder, is that it?”
“Yes, I’m not sure I want to go.” He turned to face her.
“Come for me then, I don’t like large social gatherings either, I’d much rather just have lunch with you and Fleo.” Skip looked at the floor. “Don’t let the party be over for me before it begins; besides I’d hate to miss your first meeting with Mr. Shroder.”
© Copyright 2008 Ey Stargazer (UN: unicorn_scribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ey Stargazer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592880