*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592882
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1442979
Previously called a girl named Skip, part of the Malthra series
#592882 added June 24, 2008 at 4:04pm
Restrictions: None
At the party
“Sandra, how marvelous to see you again,” Charlie bowed politely to the hostess.
“Charlie, I had hoped you would be coming and Fleo a pleasure to see you as always,” Sandra glanced around them,” I thought Ski-perthra might be a member of your party.”
“We couldn’t convince her to come with us but she promised to be along in not too much time.”
“I hope she does come, if nothing else she would save face.”
“What do you mean?”
“Mr. Shroder, you know the son of baron Shroder, is here and he is none to impressed by the guests. I heard him say that my party was not more than an excuse for farmers and weavers to get together.” Charlie could see the girl was heartbroken.
“Well when Ski-perthra gets here, I’m sure she’ll put other things on his mind.”
“Come, I’ll have you meet him, you’re good enough a wit to keep him occupied till she gets here.” Sandra led them through the room. They were stopped and talked to by several individuals, but Sandra contrived to keep them moving. The room was packed so much so that there was hardly room to walk. The larger room had been set apart for dancing.
“This is Jason Shroder, Mr. Shroder may I present Charles Kalet and Fleo Ara.”
“My lady,” Jason bent to kiss her hand.
“Your first time in the neighborhood, I presume,” Charlie started.
“Indeed, my father sent me has some idea that I will grow quite fond of a particular young lady in these parts, he didn’t specify who,” Jason didn’t bother keeping the boredom from his voice.
“Well, considering who your father is I can think of only one person he could possibly mean.”
“Oh,” Jason sounded more interested, “who?”
“One Ski-perthra Rayleia.”
“I believe I’ve heard that name before, but I can’t place where.”
“She is the daughter of Baron Justin Rayleia.”
“Of course, the richest baron this side of Malthra. Maybe this trip won’t be a waste after all.”
“I’ll warn you though, we are quite good friends with miss Rayleia and she has some spunk,” the laughter in Fleo’s voice was apparent but Jason didn’t seem to notice.
“I’ve always said that young ladies did well to have a little bit of spirit.” Charlie smiled broadly, saying Skip had a bit of spirit was like calling a dragon a small lizard.
“Fleo, might I have the honor of this dance.” Charlie led her swiftly away to the make-shift ballroom. The room was already thick with couples, and they had some difficulty getting in.
“So, what do you think of our Mr. Shroder.”
“I think Skip is going to eat him for breakfast.”
“Oh Charlie, it can’t be that bad.”
“I know Skip better than anyone,” Charlie led her into one of the turns, “And I assure you, Skip is going to have a field day.”
“Well we’ll soon find out,” Fleo looked toward the door.
“Speak of Milandra.” Skip entered; she wore a light violet wrap gown with silver jewelry. Her hair, usually playing about her waist was strapped into a bun on top of her head. All eyes were glued to her in an instant, but none more so than Jason Shroder. By the general reaction of the crowd he had easily deduced her identity. Now he studied her, his expression reminded Charlie of a picture of a griffin, hungrily eying some favorite prey with sharp interest. But Skip saw him as well. From the lack of interesting party around him she decided who he was, it also helped that he was the only face she didn’t recognize. “Come on, I don’t want to miss this.”
“I would,” Fleo withdrew her hand with a determined giggle, “I’d rather watch from a distance where I can laugh.”
Skip’s skirts brushed smoothly down the stairs that marked the entry.
“Miss Rayleia,” Sandra came forth hesitantly, “welcome to my party.”
“A pleasure as always,” She replied, her genteel training preventing her from saying ‘one I would rather avoid’.
“May I present to your ladyship…”
“Jason Shroder,” he introduced himself waving Sandra away as if she was a servant.
“Wrong move,” Charlie whispered in Fleo’s ear.
“I am Sky-perthra, you would have heard of me.”
“Indeed I have,” the griffin like expression returned to his face as gave Skip a quick look over. Charlie considered hitting him for it, but reasoned against it; he would get his deserts soon enough. “I’ve also heard tell you’re looking for a husband.”
“Quit the contrary, I have a Beau.” If Jason had been paying any attention to the crowd, he would have heard the stifled outburst and called her bluff. Jason didn’t seem quite sure what to do with this information but extended his hand to escort her to the other side of the room. Another patron of the dance intercepted her.
“My lady you promised me first dance.” Skip looked in Charlie’s direction. He smiled broadly and shook his head slightly, having guessed that such an arrangement had only been made after she found out about Jason.
“Of course, you’ll forgive me. As lady of this district, I am obligated to keep my engagements.” Jason winced slightly. Skip let the farm boy lead her to the floor where the dancing resumed. In the efacam the dancers change partners four times; Charlie took this opportunity to speak to Skip.
“Didn’t your father ever tell you not to play with your food?”
“I’ve hardly met him and I can tell he’s a pompous fool.”
“My point,” here Charlie spun her,” you don’t know him very well; how do you know he’s a fool?”
“What’s your opinion of the boy?” Skip was reclaimed by her previous partner.
“How’s it going?” Fleo, who had just been returned to his arms, asked.
“She has an unrivaled point.”
“She rarely goes into an argument without one.”
“This is not an argument.”
“Of course it’s not,” Skip rejoined him and Fleo was whisked away.
“You should at least try to be civil.”
“Of course I’ll try to be civil.”
“Let me rephrase that,” Charlie again retrieved Fleo’s company; he wouldn’t see Skip till the next half of the dance.
“He’s watching her,” Charlie craned his neck to where Fleo had indicated. Jason was indeed watching her. Standing at the border of the dance he was staring intently at where Skip was dancing. He actually looked rather silly, standing to the side staring at the patrons like a lost puppy. For all their grandeur the rich look as absurd as the poor when they have nothing to do. Sandra was beside him desperately trying to start conversation, to no avail. Charlie felt bad about the way he was treating her but had the satisfaction of knowing the boy did no favors for himself in the process.
“He probably thinks he’s impressing Skip with his refusal to associate with the lower class.”
“It’s not going to work.”
“I know it and you know it but he doesn’t.” Charlie held her closer as they whorled past some other couples. They danced in silence for some time and Charlie was again united with Skip.
“Charlie, I can take care of myself. Don’t be so worried.”
“I’m not worried about you.”
“Really?”
“I’m worried about Jason.” They parted and rejoined later.
“He’s not worth your worry.”
“And you would know how?” Skip directed her brown gem eyes to Charlie’s. The deep blue pools smiled back at her.
“I’ll tell you later.”
They parted and Charlie found Skip with Jason. The poor boy looked frazzled, though he was doing his best to hide it. Charlie shook his head the second he caught Skip’s eye. He knew she would never blatantly insult him, but he knew all too well she had learned the subtle art of implication and suggestion.
“Ah, Charlie my good man,” Jason said suddenly as though looking for some way of diverting the conversation. “We have just been discussing occupation and I would have the favor of knowing what you have been trained for.”
“I’m trained to be a counselor; the good Baron Justin Rayleia financed my education himself.”
“A counselor? An odd yet honorably profession, I trust that you will counsel the Baron?”
“What else to do with such an education?”
“My point, you can do nothing else with such and education, what if you fail to recommend yourself to any noble man?”
“It’s far more secure than a nobleman’s position,” Charlie heard Skip hiss under her breath. Of course he didn’t say anything.
“And you would rather have no advisor?”
Jason smiled proudly,” I like to think I’m wise enough not to need one.”
“Only a fool listens to his own counsel alone.” Charlie was again the only one to heed Skip’s remark, but he appreciated it none the less.
“Miss Rayleia, the dance floor is again being taken too, may I have the honor?”
“Sir, I thank you but I would rather not.” Jason seemed to accept that.
“May I inquire, my lady, what you think of me?” Fleo and Charlie winced; his remark had been less the courtly.
“I think you liken to a unicorn.” Jason smiled broadly, as did the rest of the company. Jason was pleased to hear himself compared to the beautiful animal. The rest knew Skip’s real meaning. Skip considered unicorns to be arrogant and self serving. Jason entreated her several times after the first dance was over and finally succeeded in having her hand.
“I was beginning to think I would never get you to dance.” Skip didn’t answer, merely led him into the turn. The assembly smiled. They could all see that Skip had taken over the lead and had some trouble keeping from laughing when she dipped him.
© Copyright 2008 Ey Stargazer (UN: unicorn_scribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ey Stargazer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592882