*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592888
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1442979
Previously called a girl named Skip, part of the Malthra series
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#592888 added June 24, 2008 at 4:09pm
Restrictions: None
first proposal
Skip watched Charlie ride away before surrendering her riding gloves and capa to the valet. She couldn’t help cringe when she saw Jason standing in the study.
“Mr. Shroder, what a pleasant surprise.”
He turned to her triumphantly, “I thought it would be.”
“What can I help you with?”
Jason smiled he knew he would win her over in the end. He was tall, handsome, he always had his hair professionally done, and was always on the forefront of fashion. “I am sure you know why I was sent here and I’m sure you have no wish to deny your father’s best wishes.”
“What do you know about my father’s wishes?” Skip had guessed his intention and was doing her best to act like a lady.
“Please don’t pretend to be ignorant; it is most unbecoming though it does show in you a certain delicacy that I find rather appealing. No don’t say anything I can perfectly comprehend your feelings and know that you can’t say yes till you have consulted the good Baron your father. I hope that he may return shortly so we can start our life of happiness,” he straightened up from his slight bow and smiled, “I think I adequately passed your test.” That was the last straw.
“I am a lady, the daughter of a regional Baron, and well respected member of my community, all these positions urge for propriety in this situation but I can find none to give you,” her playful eyes met Jason’s, but they did not contain their gentle light, rather a force to be reckoned with. “I have no intention of marrying you, I never have and I assure you I never will. I have set no test for you except that which you have already failed. I am sorry for any pain I may be giving but it was inevitable and impossible to do otherwise.”
“I don’t understand…”
“Obviously, but I never expected you to in the first place.” Jason started; no one ever talked to him like that. “You were leaving.”
Jason, his mouth hanging open and his mind a tangled knot, shuffled uncertainly out of the room.
© Copyright 2008 Ey Stargazer (UN: unicorn_scribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ey Stargazer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/592888