*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/593666-Writing-Scholarly-Web-Content
Rated: 13+ · Book · How-To/Advice · #1374369
Blogging 2008 ~ from a sunflower in Texas Writing tips, topics, ideas, and examples.
#593666 added June 29, 2008 at 7:31am
Restrictions: None
Writing "Scholarly" Web Content
I've drafted two articles for http://www.Elements4Health.com .

So far I've written on the topics of insomnia and the relationship between sun and skin cancer. I'm used to doing research, having majored in English and history, and been a teacher. I have a bit of a medical background. If you add up everything that's been wrong with me in 53 years, everything that's befallen my almost 86 year old mom, and about a year and a half of studying vet medicine, I should have some medical understanding of what I'm talking about. The challenge is to convey lots of fact based info, and keep the style light, and serious, but friendly. So far so good--and he's letting me pick my topics.

I've brainstormed about a 5 page list of possible topics of health, or fitness, or sickness, that I'll be able to use to keep my enthusiasm going. So far, my muse leads me wherever my personal interest lies. But I don't want to start out with any topics that might be considered fluff. I put a lot of research into these articles. So far the word count ranges between 750 - 1,250. He originally requested much shorter, so I have to figure out how to be more concise.

I'm having to keep up with reference information too, but not a proper MLA style. I'm going by what's already on the site.I'm in the process of subscribing to many RSS feeds, and newsletters, and alerts. Reuter's Health had a page where I applied to have access to their site as a web content writer. I selected from options, and what I intended to do was right there. There have been several library/professional sites I've needed to get in to when I was writing for http://www.DueNow.com .

Still need to set up my new printer. Don't think it's going to be a big deal, but I hate tackling jobs I don't have lots of experience with. I'm telling myself that I'll get to it after the sun comes up. Not reasonable to do that kind of job in the dark.

THIS TIME I'm using a new address I set up to receive most of the health and fitness info. That way it's all in one place, and it's not getting overlooked or adding to the addresses that get the most mail and spam to deal with. I also have the option of having some of the info sent to my phone via mobile--but I've still got to get all the setting correct on my Blackjack II. I like the phone, but I'm most likely at the bottom of the learning curve.

Well, I'm off to select some favorite health and fitness web sites, plus sites with articles that have basic info on the organs and systems and all that sort of thing. There are SO MANY possibilities. I expect this assignment to be fun!

© Copyright 2008 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/593666-Writing-Scholarly-Web-Content