*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596504
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#596504 added July 29, 2008 at 3:18pm
Restrictions: None
Have a Ball Action/Adventure 7/23/08
signature for sports arena

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures. - Earl Warren


HAVE A BALL


With the Olympics around the corner, I thought I’d touch on a bit of action of Action/Adventure. Sports.

One of my favorite books, John Grisham’s A Painted House. Yes, I know this is not what one would call “Action/Adventure”, but it does have action –in the name of sports. There’s a baseball game or two, a wrestling match and a bona fide fight. Not just a plain ole fight either, where a few punches are thrown, there’s a two-by-four and blood.

Why add sports to your action adventure story or novel?

Universal Appeal
In an effort to give your work connectivity to a wide base of readers, sports offer a variety of approaches when doing just that. Millions of people play sports. From school aged children scattered around the bases of a dusty field during recess playing a friendly game of kickball, to adults with their fingers wrapped around tennis racquets trying to win a berth at the state championships during USTA League play on the recreational level. Or, what about all the finalized business deals made during golf games on a business trips. Then, there’s the countless people bent over pool tables looking to bank the winning shot.

Add to the millions already involved in competitive sports, the number of those who watch sports, who are fans of their game…and you have billions of folks: March Madness, World Cup Soccer, the World Series, the Olympics, and fantasy sports to name a few. (For a glimpse at the numbers, go to www.ESPN.come and register to become part of their FanNation).

Depth to Your Characters
“Sports,” said John Wooden, a former UCLA basketball coach, “ do not build character. They reveal it.”

Personality traits, temperament, and even moral fiber can be revealed if you let your character participate in some type of sport. Will he call the lines correctly in a tennis match? Will she intentionally foul her opponent in retaliation of a previous verbal altercation? Both give the reader clear pictures of who your characters are.

Subplot
Being a fan or player, coupled with the huge selections of sports to choose from, your possibilities for developing a subplot are almost endless.

Conflict and Tension
During a play-by-play friendly softball game, put the protagonist and antagonist on opposing teams, create tension through foreshadowing. These characters can exchange words, engage in a minor physical clash, or simply look at each other the wrong way. Use this opportunity to give the reader a promise of more conflict/action to come.

Relief and Excitement
Baseball games, basketball tryouts, and the mania a town works itself into when a local boy goes national, all add color and excitement to your plot. Also, they provide relief from intense buildup, thus underscoring the reader’s interest in the overall premise of your storyline.

Tips on adding sports to your story or novel.

*Bullet* Know the sport you want to slide in, do some quick research on the internet. With millions playing and billions watching, a mistake in action, slang, technique, procedure can sticks out like a police car with its lights flashing.

*Bullet* If you don’t know the sport you want to slip in, do some quick research on the Internet and interview a few people who know the sport. Your main character has a son who plays tennis; call your local Parks and Recreation department to speak to a tennis coach. Go watch a high school tennis match. Interviewing is a great way to learn lingo and pertinent information to make your story more believable.

*Bullet* Consider both perspectives; player’s and spectators’. If your character plays, he/she undoubtedly is a fan. Remember to add tidbits about his/her curiosity and desire to “check out the game”.

Including sports can offer your story more life, provide a sense of connectivity your readers, create more believable scenes, offer excitement while helping you build tension. The next time you’re looking for ways to add more depth to your characters, remember…the ball is in your court.

Until next time,
Robin



signature for a forum


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1434634 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1445552 by Not Available.

Carmen's Race  (E)
Is Carmen's determination enough for her to win the race?
#1434323 by Caroline

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1435899 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1402747 by Not Available.




bardothodol
Dear Robin Back Home
thanks for writing about beginnings. I am horrible at seducing the reader and you make some interesting suggestions. By the way, the picture at the top of the newsletter looks tantalizingly close to the smokies. yes?

StephBee - House Targaryen
Robin, two thumbs for tackling "beginnings" in the newsletter. I agree - the more action orientated the beginning the more you'll lure the reader in. Good job.

larryp
Good newsletter Robin. Beginnings are so very important. Readers will be compelled to read on if the beginning grabs them or touches them in some way. Good tips in your newsletter.

Larry

© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596504