*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596649-Heavens-Conspiracy-Child-of-Man-Chapter-seven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1384117
The beginning, before time, known history and the final days of evil in the earth.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#596649 added July 16, 2008 at 1:26am
Restrictions: None
Heavens Conspiracy (Child of Man) Chapter seven
    Vladamir Danko was a contented man these days, enjoying the fruits of a long distinguished career, still holding the pulse of the nation, but only internally now that the greater portion of his department fell under the direct supervision of the KGB. His scope of influence had been reduced to strictly internal security matters, and he still maintained ultimate authority over military investigations, but the spy group as he contemptuously referred to them in private, held most of the power in the republics.
    It was the culmination of changing times and the passing of an era, when after Stalin died of complications following a stroke, the government under the new Secretary, dismantled the work camps established during the Lenin era. This change of policy had reduced the ranks of the NKVD by thousands, and effectively removed his influence from the mainstream political arena.
    But that was fine with him, he thought staring across the living room into the arbor on his back porch.
    He heard Tonluva singing in the kitchen and it made him smile, thinking how fortunate he was to have been so blessed in his life. He lived comfortably now on the outskirts of Moscow, in a none to modest dwelling, a hero of the state and a living legend in Military circles. His life revolved more around his family these days, and he had devoted his time to Tonluva, Berrill, and the true pride of his life, his son Itna. His son, he thought smiling proudly to himself, feeling a lump come into his throat, his own self-pride in the boy overcoming him emotionally.
    And why shouldn't it, he thought. The boy, for he was still far from the age of what was considered a grown man, had repeatedly shone in his mannerisms and intelligence, many of his progress reports saying such complimentary things as genius, superior standards of performance, and a Soviet citizen of the first order. He excelled in all subjects he studied, and now only in his middle teens, he was top cadet of his class in the Suvorov school in Moscow, soon to graduate.
    Danko believed he had played no small part in the child's character development, after legally adopting Itna and giving him the Danko name. He had done as the savage told him those many years ago, training the youth in matters of war, constantly providing challenges to toughen the boy's resolve in himself. Even the most difficult tasks were welcomed by the young man, and his persistence toward success never wavered, living for the opportunity of the next struggle. It had always been a great joy for the General to see the boy overcome the obstacles he set before him, never with a word of complaint. One of the only things they didn't seem to share, was the recognition and praise for accomplishment. Itna never showed interest in praise, or had any sense of his own self status, only in the next challenge to pursue.
    Curiously he thought, the child had been this way since the boy first came to their family. Tonluva and Berrill had immediately been smitten with Itna, showing him sincere love as a son and sibling, and it had strengthened the Danko family when the youth came into their lives. Even in the haven of his own cold heart, the General had to admit he loved the boy as much as his own flesh and blood, though he had been adopted.
    To be truthful, Danko had many reservations about bringing in the wayward youth, and particularly extending to him the Danko name. He and Tonluva had discussed the option of adopting a boy shortly after Berrill was born, when the Doctors advised Tonluva that she would be at great risk to her health if she became pregnant again.
    His pride had kept him from proceeding, not being able to bring himself to receive from some other what he was unable to produce himself, and believing foolishly that if it was not derived from his own blood, it would be an inferior child. On the day he first met Itnavian, all those thoughts were dispelled.
    His smile broadened recalling his first encounter with the child who had just reached the age of toddler.
    After Minister Bresvan's arrest, Itna had been taken with all the assorted paraphernalia in the building on Chekoneva Street and secreted away to the NKVD Military Evidence storage. He was then transferred to the Hospital at Astrakhan, a naval training station on the Northern Caspian Sea. A small station, it had been the perfect location to transport the child, due to it's remoteness from the capital, and because the duty Admiral of the military complex owed Danko dearly for a special favor some years back.
    The incident occurred shortly after the man's promotion to Commander of the facility, around two very young, very drunk dead girls, last observed in the company of the Admiral as he left the base in his staff car.
    The Admiral's story was that the two had stolen his vehicle, and the large nasty bruise on his head came from a shipboard training incident that two ranking officers were ready to attest to under oath.
    The General's investigation identified the Admiral as the driver of the vehicle when it had left the road, careening off a guardrail and rolling several times killing the two teenage girls. The Admiral having been ejected from the car during the first roll, unintentionally sparing his life. Danko had buried the evidence collected and cleared the military man of any wrongdoing, officially closing the investigation with the exception of a private meeting with the Admiral, where the true facts were presented to him. He was simply another of the people indebted to the General and at his disposal, no matter the reason.
    Yes, Admiral Yestrok had come through grandly for the General, providing twenty-four hour guard and a complete medical staff to see to every need of the child.
    It was a misty foggy morning on the Volga Marsh as the General's staff car moved along the coastline of the Caspian sea. After entering the naval base and proceeding to the west corner of the post, the General's driver stopped at a small warehouse looking structure with only one visible entryway, a solid metal door guarded by an armed sentry.
    The guard snapping to attention at the General's arrival, actually refused him entry until he received verbal authorization from the base commander. Danko actually thought his driver Sergeant Westnosskv was going to burst a vessel in his brain, the man becoming absolutely livid at the seaman's refusal to let the General pass.
    Before he could do so however, the General stopped his driver, momentarily allowing the non-com to pitch a fit before the guard for his own amusement, then explained to Westnosskv that these had been his explicit orders. Danko actually stopped and saluted the lowly seaman for his duty, recognizing that the man must have been in fear of his life and most disconcerted by the incident.
    When authorization was confirmed, Westnosskv opened the door for the General, stepping aside and holding it open while the General entered the hallway, leading to a second metal door.
    A technician monitoring the hallway through a small thick glassed panel pushed a button in the control room where he was stationed, allowing the General entry when he reached the door. Danko told the Sergeant to wait and he proceeded inside, introducing himself to the duty nurse and asked to see the child.
    The nurse saluted the General, and said, "yes sir, follow me", leading Danko past a few examination rooms to reach another door labeled, RESTRICTED ENTRY!
    When the nurse opened the door letting the General proceed her, she was stopped as the General stood still just inside the doorway, cautioning her to be quiet.
    Their entry had gone unnoticed and the General was stunned by the sight he witnessed before him. Sitting in a chair that to Danko looked like it was made for a little girl's doll, was an incredibly tiny boy playing checkers with two nurses. The General eyed the proceedings intently, disbelief etched on his face when the little hand took one of his game pieces and made three consecutive moves, collecting the conquered chips of the nurse. Both nurses applauded the child's cunning, offering their support, seeming to be quite happy in their present duties.
    The child sat back and though Danko couldn't see his expression, from the position of his body he could tell the child was upset about something.
    "What's the matter Itnavian", the nurse sitting beside him asked when she saw the child lean back, sticking out his lower lip and crossing his arms over his chest.
    Without hesitation the toddler looked over at the other nurse playing the game with him and said, "she's letting me win", pointing a small incriminating finger at his opponent.
    The challenging nurse feigned indignant denunciation, but it only made the boy's lip stick out further, right up to the point she acquiesced, confessing to the indiscretion and promising never to let him win again on purpose.
    With a quick kicking out of his tiny legs his lip disappeared and his arms unfolded as he asked, "want to play another game", grabbing at the checkers to redistribute them on the board.
    "Itnavian, you are certainly the smartest person I've ever met", the challenging nurse said, helping him reposition the game pieces.
    "I'm Itna", he said, offering the correction to the nurse, saying no more, beginning to concentrate on his next move.
    Both nurses simply shook their heads at each other, defeated as they tried to rationalize the sight of their own eyes. No matter what he looked like, this was not an eighteen month old in mind, if nothing else.
    The General still stood motionless, attempting to decipher the phenomenon he'd just witnessed, quite at a loss of how to proceed. He'd never seen anything like this, and it reminded him of another experience not that long ago he'd shared with his friend Uli Yelsin.
    "Train him for the battle to come". He heard the savages words echo in his mind, but was distracted from his reverie when he detected movement, the two nurses noticing the pair who'd entered the room for the first time, rising to attention and offering salute.
    He was especially impressed when the child mimicking the nurses actions, stood up striking the sharpest military pose his little figure could manage, and trained his brilliant yellow eyes on the military commander.
    Vladamir Danko couldn't admit it to himself, but his cold unbendable hear was reduced to warm butter at that moment, and he could not have hoped to repress the smile that came to his lips. He had to fight the desire to chuckle at the youngster, but did so seeing the serious expression on his handsome little face, not wishing to diminish his respectful presentation.
    When he reached the three, Danko clicked his booted heels together snapping to attention and returned the salute. Towering over the small one, who's head barely reached the bottom of the General's knee, Danko was further impressed at how unintimidated the boy was, as he let the salute drop in time with the nurses and stared up into his face, his head back as far as it could go on his little neck.
    "My name is General Vladamir Danko", he said, looking down at the youth.
    "My name is Itna", the child piped right back.
    Extending his hand the General felt like a giant when the little one gripped one of his fingers completing the handshake.
    "Would you like to play a game with me", the boy asked, showing no sign of reserved inhibition.
      "What kind of game would you like to play", the General shot back, just as if he were conversing with any adult.
    "Well this one is all set up", Itna replied, gesturing with one tiny hand to the re-set checkerboard.
    "Okay", Danko replied, dismissing the nurses, expressing his desire to be alone with the child, and taking the vacated chair opposite the boy. He began his conversation after the nurses left, saying, "it's been a long time since I played checkers, I'm more of a chess man myself".
    The child gave Danko a bewildered look and said, "I don't know how to play that game, will you teach me"?
    The last four words of the boy's sentence hit Danko like a lead brick and he heard the savage's words once more in his mind.
    "You must train the child for the battle to come".
    "I'm sorry, Itna spoke up before the General could respond, "I didn't mean to scare you".
    A large grin stole across the General's face as his mind interpreted the boy's statement, wondering how the child thought he had scared the large man sitting across from him. The smile vanished the instant the idea sparked in his mind and his next question was put to the boy succinctly.
    "Itna", the General asked, "do you know what I was just thinking"?
    "No", was the child's only response.
    "Then how did you think you frightened me", he searched, knowing that at the moment the child had made the declaration, he had indeed been frightened. It seemed to happen each time he recalled the incident at Arzamas-16 and the bizarre encounter with the savage.
    "I don't know, you just seemed scared when I asked you if you'd teach me the game", the boy said, giving the matter no further thought and beginning the game of checkers by moving his first piece.
      Danko was more confused now than ever. Possibly the youth had detected something in his body language, interpreting something in his mannerism that indicated fear.
    "Are you going to play", Itna asked, letting out a sigh as if frustrated with the General's slow response to the game.
    Quickly moving one of his pieces, Danko was still wrapped in his cogitations, knowing he was missing something, yet unable to identify it. He continued to debate the situation absentmindedly moving his game pieces, trying to be responsive to the child and attempting to resolve his puzzled mind.
    He was quickly brought back to the present when the boy jumped three of his checkers and taking them from the board said, "make me a king".
    Danko looked down with concentration on the game before him for perhaps the first time, seeing that he was in danger of losing the match. The other thoughts in his mind were pushed aside then, and he began to play the game seriously, finding it more than a little difficult to beat the toddler.
    "Wow, that was great", the boy said when Danko relieved him of his final game piece, proclaiming victory.
    "Will you play me again", the boy asked, "your much better than the women", he concluded, beginning to reset the game once more.
    "Perhaps later", Danko said, standing up from his chair already affirming in his heart that he wanted this child for his own.
    "How would you like to come and live at my house", Danko asked the child directly.
    "Okay", Itna responded, not displaying any preference one way or another, continuing to set up the game pieces.
    Not really sure the child had understood what he had asked, Danko rephrased the question.
    "Itna, what I'm asking you, is if you would like to become part of my family".
    "Does that mean you want to be my new poppa", the child asked back, looking up at the General.
    "I guess that it does", Danko replied.
    With a big grin coming to his diminutive face, the child said, "yes sir", and smartly saluted the General again to Danko's delight, touching the big man in ways he thought were barren in his heart.
    Danko returned the young child's salute once more, and said, "Itna, I want you to stay here a little while longer, but I will return to get you very soon".
    "Okay", was the boy's response, and he went back to arranging the game board.
    Danko shook his head, wondering at the child's demeanor, truly stupefied to his display of joy, followed by complete indifference. It was unlike any encounter he had ever had with another human being, and he was still trying to analyze the meeting as he headed for the door at it's conclusion.
    When he reached the exit and grabbed the door knob, he heard the small voice call out from behind him.
    "Poppa", he heard the child say, and turned around to see the munchkin rapidly traveling toward him, his small legs pumping and his arms outstretched.
    Danko crouched and caught the child as he slammed into him, wrapping his arms around the youth and returning the boy's embrace as Itna hugged tightly to his neck.
    "Hurry back", the little voice spoke, and Danko felt this throat constrict and his eyes begin to mist up.
    "I will", the big man managed, releasing the child and without another word exited the room, finding the nurses waiting to resume their duties just beyond the door.
    "Take good care of him", the General said pointedly, seriously to the women. "He's my son", Danko finished proudly, walking awyay, feeling more love and pride at that moment than he'd ever experienced.
    The nurses saluted, returning to the room to be with the boy as Danko headed to the exit. He was stopped at the second door by a young Lieutenant, the onsite doctor who had been assigned to Itna by Admiral Yestrok.
    Saluting the General, Lieutenant Kiernier bid the commander welcome and asked to speak with him privately, concerning his patient.
    The General motioned for the Lieutenant to proceed and the Doctor led him to a private office a short distance away.
    After an hour long discussion with the Lieutenant, which involved the child's physiological discrepancies and instructions regarding the disposition of the virulent substance that had been transported to the base, Danko was headed back to Moscow. During the drive he continued to replay the events of the encounter with the unique little boy in his mind. He also rummaged through his thoughts of what the future might hold for him, recalling the savage's words when he had spoken to Yuli of his reward, that would come by the hand of the master's servant, and his own servant.
    Mistakenly, he misinterpreted the servant as the child, and fantasized about the potential of the reward, although he had no idea who the savage referred too when he spoke of the master.
    Today as he sat home awaiting his son's return from school for a three day holiday, he considered the possibility that he had already received his reward, in the pride which filled his heart over the outstanding young man his boy had become.
    A wafting of freshly baked confections drifted in from the kitchen where Tonluva was busily preparing for the feast, that would surely be the highlight of tonight's seventeenth birthday party for Itna. Standing up from his reclining chair, Danko headed for the kitchen to help his wife and heard a loud knocking on the front door.
    When he opened it, Sergeant Westnosskv stood to attention saluting, and immediately informed the General that his presence was necessary at once at military headquarters.
    "What is this about", Danko asked Westnosskv, annoyed that he might be called away from the planned celebration.
    "I was not informed of the situation sir", Westnosskv replied, "but Natina said that the instructions to retrieve you came from the Secretary and Admiral Ryzanisk, and he stressed urgency".
    A scowl came to the General's face and he told the Sergeant to wait in the vehicle. Closing the door he quickly dressed, kissing Tonluva goodbye as he left, telling her he would be back before the festivities began.
    "What's so important", were the first words out of the General's mouth when he arrived at headquarters to a less than enthusiastic Natina.
    "I don't know sir", Natina responded, sounding somewhat perturbed over the matter herself. "But there is a call holding for you from Senior Admiral Ryzanisk's Headquarters, and he said it was of the utmost urgency".
    Resigned to the disturbance Danko entered his office, closing the door behind him and picked up the phone pressing the lighted button on the front.
    "General Danko here", he said into the phone.
    For all the reasons Danko had for being happy these days, he had an equal number to cause him great stress and personal dissatisfaction. The country and it's current leaders were beginning to get as bad as a bunch of sour old women. Each of them claiming their superiority of ideals, and the direction the country should be going, at the same time producing limited results from all their ego laden political posturing and infighting.
    This new cloak and dagger war with the West had already lost all it's charm on Danko, who being from the old school of honorable warriors preferred a straightforward fight with men and machines. He understood the benefits of the spy community, but he didn't see it as a cetifiable catch-all for security matters.
    "Hello, This is General Danko", he said into the phone again, this time with much greater emphasis.
    "Vladamir, Vladamir is that you", the General heard the squeaking raspy voice say.
    "Yes Orelv it's me, what's the crisis", the General asked, a sigh escaping him as he wondered how the old goat on the other end still managed to retain his position of command. The Admiral should have been retired at the end of the last great war, and it further solidified his convictions that the politicians were ruining the military and his country.
    "We've lost one of our submarines", Ryzanisk said. "It was last known to be on patrol in the Eastern Siberian sea on a detailed mapping assignment".
    "And exactly how does this matter concern internal security Orelv", the General asked, becoming more perturbed with the conversation, seeing that he would have to ask all the right questions to get the information he needed from the aging seaman.
      "Well it's actually a, that is, yes I guess it is first and foremost a naval concern", Ryzanisk stammered, apparently confused by the General's question, "but there's, that is, it's one of our new K class ships Vladamir, our latest technology".
    Danko deciphered Ryzanisk's direction though the old Admiral had not finished his explanation. The new K-class subs were the Soviet Nation's delivery system for Nuclear payloads, the Soviet venture into remote targeting not yet advanced to the point they could be considered dependable.
    "Okay, Okay Orelv", the General said, stopping the man in mid mumble, "I understand, is the fleet responding"?
    "Ah, yes, I sent everything close to that region in the Kirova's direction", the Admiral replied, "but the closest thing is the submarine Rossizn and she's over two hundred kilometers away. If they've met with serious circumstances, we can only hope they will hold out until help arrives", Ryzanisk concluded, and the General detected deep sorrow in the old man's voice.
    Not becoming to concerned over the Admiral's emotions the General asked another straight forward fact gathering question, noting the Admiral's answers in his journal.
    "Who is in command of the Kirova", Danko asked?
    "Captain Sterelik Mikanovy", the Admiral replied, "a fine officer".
    Danko had heard of Mikanovy, a seasoned veteran hero to the nation in his own right, having destroyed a half dozen Nazi vessels in the last war. It allowed the General to rule out the possibility of conspiratorial participation, or defection, knowing the commander's reputation as a staunch hardliner.
    "Good", Danko said into the phone, "if Mikanovy's half as good as his reputation, he's the best thing we have going for us in recovering the ship and crew".
    "Oh, I truly hope so", Ryzanisk said, "I do hope so".
    Again the General detected the almost pained sound in Ryzanisk's tone, and heard the man sniffle on the other end of the line, as if the event had unnerved him so much that he was starting to cry. The General realized that the man was truly past the point of his prime, and determined that he should make a secured report to the Defense Secretary regarding the Admiral's command fitness.
    "Don't worry Orelv", the General said, "we'll do everything we can to recover the men of the Kirova".
    "Oh thank you Vladamir", the old man siad, suddenly making a choking sound over the receiver, then said, "I'm sorry General". "It's just, it's you see, my only son serves on the Kirova", the old man blurted out finally, losing his composure on the other end, "he's all I have left of my family".
    Vladamir Danko felt as though he would have to look up to see the dirt on the ground, so taken aback was he at hearing the old man's confession. Danko was one person who rarely faced the truth's which were in the deception of his own heart, but the Admiral's statement had made him see the hypocrisy of his own faulty attitude.
    Here he was aggravated with the disturbance of this situation, wanting nothing more than to be done with it, and return home to his own family and his son's birthday party. The man on the other end of the phone, a comrade and accomplished warrior, sat on the possibility of losing the last person he called kin, to say nothing of the sixty or so sons of the Motherland who might never see another day with their families.
    With a quickly sobered outlook, the General acted like the professional soldier he should be.
    "Orelv", Danko said sternly, but with compassionate inflection, "I'll be at your office in Stalingrad by noon tomorrow. Try and relax old friend, we'll spare no effort to locate the Kirova".
    "Orelv, Orelv", Danko said loudly, trying to bring Ryzanisk out of his emotional turmoil, and wanting to make sure the old man was paying attention to what he was saying.
    "Yes", was all Ryzanisk could manage, regaining some composure.
    "Orelv, I'm issuing direct orders to you and the Naval Adjunct, that this is a matter for Military Intelligence, and there will be no communication to the Duma or other parties about this occurrence until we have further information. I do not want our enemies to learn of this incident and try to take advantage of it, nor do I want to get a bunch of incompetent politicians involved in a military investigation. Until I advise you otherwise, there has been no incident with the Kirova".
    "Do you understand", Danko asked, wanting the order confirmed and clearly understoody by the Admiral. He was technically outranked by Ryzanisk, but under matters of military investigation, Danko had superseding jurisdiction.
    "Yes Vladamir, and thank you", Ryzanisk said, relieved that the stress of the situation, due to the General's orders, was now under Danko's oversight and authority, taking him out of the equation and alleviating him of the personal conflicts that would be involved in the decision making.
    "All right Orelv, try and get some rest, I'll see you tomorrow. Contact me the instant further information becomes available".
    Danko hung up the phone after Ryzanisk said goodbye, immediately calling Natina into his office.
    After issuing a lengthy list of orders for Natina, Danko headed back home, trying hard to put the conversation out of his mind and dwell on his fortune, and the celebration he would soon attend for his son. It turned out to be a difficult task.
*                            *                            *                                *                              *

    The following day found General Danko standing in Admiral Ryzanisk's headquarters in Stalingrad, surveying several Soviet vessels including a recent carrier addition to the base, from the overly large oval window atop the Northern Naval Command Station.
    At the moment the Admiral was speaking via radio relays, and telephone, to the commander of the submarine Rossizn.
    The conversation was taking some time and the General had grown bored, walking over to stare out the window.
    After notifying the Defense Secretary, who argeed with Danko's determination to keep all information regarding the Kirova in strict confidence, until a better assessment of the vessel's condition could be ascertained, he issued order that this was to be Danko's top priority, and to keep him informed.
    The Kirova carried five short range nuclear devices aboard her, which had to be recovered or destroyed depending on the outcome of the investigation.
    "Proceed no further, you are to rendezvous with the Miritchka and receive further orders, Confirm", Ryzanisk said to the relay operator.
      "Confirmed", the operator on the other end said, relaying the reply sent from the Rossizn's Captain Eraskavich.
    When the Admiral hung up the phone, he reached down pulling out a bottle of premium vodka from his desk drawer.
    "Well, what's the news", Danko asked, when without a word the Admiral stood, walking over to a nearby cabinet and retrieving two large glasses from a cabinet, filling both of them to the top.
    Handing one to Danko he said, "you may want this first, I know I do".
    "That good was it", the General said, referring to the obvious bad news.
    "Even better", Ryzanisk said, lifting his glass saying, "to the men of the Kirova, may the gods be merciful", and tilted the glass to his lips draining the pure alcohol.
    Danko returned the salute raising his glass, taking a drink of about half the glass. "Okay Orelv, let's hear it", the General said, already knowing he wasn't going to like hearing the news.
    Taking a deep breath, Ryzanisk told the General what had been reported.
    "According to Captain Eraskavich, after searching in the area of the Kirova's last known position, he has reached one conclusion, which does not leave much hope in recovering the submarine. The Captain reported it was unlike anything he's ever experienced Vladamir. Along the coastline only four kilometers out from the village of Pevek, in the Mys Shelagsky alley, the Captain has discovered some type of natural phenomenon in which a vacuum of sorts has formed around a submersed tunnel, sucking in monstrous volumes of sea water".
    "Because this area was heretofore uncharted and the exact reason the Kirova was in the area, it may well be that the Kirova was caught by the phenomenon and pulled into the cavern. According to Captain Eraskavich, his vessel barely escaped the same fate, sustaining damage when they discoverd the phenomenon, narrowly avoiding being sucked in themselves. He said that within a quarter kilometer to the opening of the cavern, their echo location equipment actually shows the mouth of the cavern in a rotating spiral, the force of the waters movement so viloent it registers on their sonar as solid matter".
    General Danko sat down in a chair taking another pull off his drink, listening quietly to the Admiral's report from Eraskavich, not wishing to disturb the man that he forget some important detail.
    "If the Kirova was pulled inside, it is more than reasonable to assume they were incapable of getting back out". The Admiral's voice began to break up at the end of the sentence, refilling his glass and taking another hard pull of the spirit.
    "Take it easy Orelv, Danko said with compassion, "we don't know, and can not give up on the Kirova before we have allowed sufficient time for her crew to attempt to exit the aperture".
    His words sounded hollow even to himself as he spoke them, believing as the Admiral that the vessel had probably been destroyed when dragged into the cavern tunnel, most likely a hull breach when the sub impacted along the subterranean tunnel's walls.
    "Thank you General", Ryzanisk said, draining his second drink and filling the glass once more. After another large swallow he said, "I'll call you Vladamir, if I hear further word". At that point the Admiral became suddenly very cold in his attitude, walking to the door of his office and opening it for Danko, expressing his desire to be alone.
    Danko clasped the old man on the shoulder when he reached the door and said, "my heart cries for you comrade", and proceeded out the door to the elevator, leaving the Admiral to his grief, not wishing to intrude on the man's need to be alone.
    He reached his vehicle and had the seaman driver return him to the military airport, soon winging his way toward Moscow with a heavy heart, believing the situation with the Kirova concluded, other than a final report to the Defense Secretary.
*                              *                                  *                            *                          *

    Tonluva and Vladamir Danko sat on the raised honors platform, reserved for dignitaries and honored guests who were to attend today's graduation ceremonies of Moscow's Suvorov School Cadets.
    The graduates had just taken the field, marching in perfection to a Soviet musical selection currently being blared across the parade ground from the school's band members. They had taken to the field first to lead the way past the viewing stand, and take up position in the bleacher platform, continuing their melody as the other cadets executed the remainder of their marching drills.
    It was a magnificent day in Moscow, a warm sun sequestered by a cool biting breeze, alerting the senses to the coming of spring. A veritable fanfare of graduation cadets had been through this academy, and though Danko didn't know the exact number, it appeared to be about seven hundred.
    He spotted Itna without any trouble, the boy being a foot shorter than the smallest cadet in the graduation class. It only made his grin larger however, knowing the scene to be played out here today.
    Tonluva sat beside him waving frantically with a white handkerchief toward her son, her face beaming with unabashed pride.
    The Defense Secretary himself, Danko's immediate boss now that the NKVD had changed to the MBG, sat in front of him and would be the keynote speaker for today's ceremonies. The redesignation of the organization was the government's solution to it's own ineptness, believing that changing the name would cause the people to forget the bad reputation of the notorious militay police unit.
    Danko himself had been the keynote speaker here on more than a handful of occasions, and was sure he would do so again, however today he filled the role of proud parent.
    The cadets finished their drills and marched in flawless fashion between the rows of metal chairs facing the review stand and bleachers. In sychronized order they took to their seats in a slow wave of humanity from the front to rear rows.
    The Secretary rose beginning his speech, and Danko hoped ferverently that the man would not diminish the prestigeous occasion by incessantly droning along with a whole lot of political rhetoric. He was pleasantly surprised when after about twenty minutes, the man concluded his address and congratulations to the graduates.
    The school commandant then took the microphone, and called the name of his son to approach the honors stand.
    Itna stood up from his seat at the front of the class, and in graceful marching step approached the honors platform, ascending the steps and coming to attention before the school's administrator. The commandant handed the diploma of completion to Itna who snapped to attention and saluted, having his salute returned by the commander. Then in less than military fashion, the man performed an act which had never been done in the school's long military history. He stepped forward and hugged Itna, kissing him on both cheeks and speaking to the cadet as a fellow comrade in arms. Then he stepped back to the microphone, reading a list of Itna's performance and accomplishments while at the academy, as the young cadet returned to his seat to remain standing until the commander had finished. The list was extensive, having elevated him to top cadet status amongst all his peers, many the best and brightest of the Soviet Union's newest military officers.
    Danko's jaws hurt from the expressive grin plastered on his surly looking face, as the commandant read his son's accomplishments, especially regarding those in propulsion physics, and battlefield deployment.
    When the commandant's recital was concluded, Itna again came to attention and saluted, a grand smile coming to his face aimed at the commandant, but his eyes shifting to find his mother and father's grinning faces. Danko caught Itna's look and the boy winked at him, and had it not been for the pervasiveness of the throng surrounding them, the General would have broken into tears, much as his wife had beside him.
    A voluminous applause erupted for the young cadet from the assembled throng, specifically from his classmates, and Itna let go the salute, remaining as he was and standing at attention. His status as top cadet had earned him the right to take his seat and watch, as the remainder of the class approached the viewing stand to receive their diplomas, all seven hundred, requiring him to remain at attention for the better part of two hours. Foregoing this part of the school's tradition and decorum, disdaining the honor he had earned, he remained in stoic pose until every member of the graduating class received his or her diploma.
    In like response, from the second to ascend the platform until the last of the graduates returned to their seats, the whole class honored each other by remaining at attention following Itna's example, and as one retook their seats when he issued the order loudly.
    Vladamir Danko's smile had faded as quickly as the shadow cast by a small cotton ball cloud traveling quickly across a clear blue sky. He could not believe his son had disdained the honor that was rightly his, especially in such a public atmosphere, disregarding the traditions of his predecessors.
    Itna's actions had not gone unnoticed by those on the honors platform as they saw the young cadet humbling himself, disdaining his privilege before his classmates and all those assembled.
    The commandant again addressed the cadets, wishing them continued success, dismissing them from the school. He was answered by the totality of the cadets rising to their feet, snapping their heels together and saluting, shouting, "Sir, Yes Sir". The cadets cheered each other, the crowd joining in as classmates wished their comrades well, and spoke of their hopes in their new assignments. Filing back toward the barracks to remove their personal effects and receive their new orders, several cadets broke with school traditon themselves, hoisting the smallest of their ranks on high and chanting his name all the way back to their quarters.
    The Defense Secretary standing on the platform, spun around with a cold look that focused on the scowling face of Vladamir Danko.
    "Keep an eye on that one Vladamir", the Secretary said to the General, "or we may both be out of work". The smile that came to the Secretary's mouth broke the frozen look on Danko's face as he congratulated the General on his excellent parenting skills, and the pride he should feel in raising such a modest and professional soldier such as his son.
    The General's own smile returned ten fold with the Secretary's words of high praise, and the dignitaries began filing down the steps walking to the graduation hall, where friends, family, and guests of the graduates would gather for refreshments and conversation.
    Danko was almost sick of the attention and congratulations heaped upon him all the way to the hall, every professor and military trainer coming up to the Danko's to express their respectful congratulations on the fine job they had done raising their son.
    Reaching the door, opening it for Tonluva to proceed him, Danko remembered the Secretary's words and decided the politician was right, they would be out of work soon, with men like his son rising to fill the positions of the Republic's newest leadership.
    Danko smiled to himself now, delving into his own egoism, knowing that not only was he a hero to the people, but that he had succored a lineage through his son that would echo the Danko name throughout the generations to come in the hearts of the Soviet people.
    As he greeted the throng of gathered well wishers inside, the General found he hadn't gotten quite all the attention he could stand.
*                                  *                                *                                            *
   
    Later that evening Vladamir Danko sat at the kitchen table in his house rubbing fiercely at the sides of his eyes, massaging the pounding in his head from today's festivities, but most recently the news from his son regarding his post graduation assignment. He had launched into a hostile barrage of curses aimed at the KGB director Hendrev Soshnif, and the idiocy of the Republic's politicians for being totally ignorant of Itna's potential in the area of military command. His yelling had caused the veins to stand out on his neck, and he continued the tirade until he became short of breath, suddenly reeling from a splitting migraine.
    "Vladamir", Tonluva said, drying dishes at the sink, letting her husband deplete his anger, as she always did before addressing a situation that had upset him. "Getting angry will not help one bit in this situation. Why don't you call Director Soshnif and talk with the man. You may be able to discuss"...
    "Oh Tonluva please", Vladamir interrupted, "the man has been antagonistic toward me since I embarrassed him back in fifty three. I have no doubt this was all his doing in the first place", he said, his voice rising again momentarily.
    Itna sat at the table across from him, staring at the table waiting for the appropriate moment when he would feel his father's anger dissipate.
    "Poppa", the young man began, "this situation could turn out to be very advantageous for you".
    "Advantageous", the General barked the word back at him. "How could having my son working for the KGB, be in any way advantageous", he asked, his voice rising again as Itna felt him about to leap into another verbal rampage.
    Cutting to the quick in a few simple words, not letting his father complete the hate filled thoughts about to escape his tongue, Itna stayed the assault.
    "By being your eyes and ears within the agency".
    The General's retort swelled in his mouth, as he grasped his son's meaning, and he couldn't find argument to the boy's position. Indeed after he completed his training, he would have access to a veritable pool of information through Itna that was no longer his, seeing how Agent Penske had virtually vanished from existence.
    "But Itna", Danko began, his tone of voice already telling the young man his idea had taken much of the furor from his father's protestations, "there is still so much I could teach you".
    "Poppa, the young man said, reaching over and grabbing his father's large hand, dragging it to the center of the table, removing the paper with his orders from the big man's fingers.
    "I love you poppa", Itna began, looking at his father with his piercing yellow eyes.
"You have given me all that I have ever wanted, you and momma both. There has never been a child as fortunate as I have been. But you knew this day would come, and I would have to leave your wisdom and guidance", he continued, speaking the words he must to get what he wanted.
    Itna always knew what to say, feeling the needs of those around him. In conversation he could sense another person's emotional response to the words he used, and he accommodated those words to work uniquely for each person. He also knew what he needed to do now with his father, to make him reconsider the matter and allow him the freedom to pursue the KGB assignment unhindered. Itna knew the real reasons for his father's reservations, though he knew the man incapable of uttering them. Itna could feel the loneliness that had crept into the man's heart, and knew the only way to circumnavigate the emotion was to appeal to his father's greater substance, lifting the man's pride.
    "You and mother are the best parents any child could ever dream of, and I can only assume that some god did bless my existence by having you choose me to be your son. I will probably be home more often after I receive my permanent assignment than I have ever been before", he went on. "You'll get sick of me, I'll be here so much", and gave his father that warm mischievous smile he used on the man every time he wished to get his way.
    Danko's eyes went to the table, not able to look at his son's innocent handsome features, and that smile that somehow always seemed to rend the determination from his heart.
    Itna knew he had won, and standing up walked around the other side of the table giving Danko a tight hug around his neck, then turning around to do the same to his mother.
    Swallowing the lump that was in his throat, watching his son hugging his tear wracked mother, Vladamir said, "Tonluva, let the boy go, he has packing to do".
    With a large smile coming to his face, Itna looked at his father and winked, then headed for his room to prepare for his departure the following afternoon.
    As he left the kitchen, Tonluva drying the tears from her eyes walked over and handed the dish towel to her husband, who immediately grabbed the rag placing it to his face, catching the water falling off his nose.
    "I don't know how I'll get through the days", Tonluva said, "without his smiling face around the house".
    A wave of emotion struck her then, and Danko pushed his feelings aside, addressing his wife's despair as Tonluva began to sob anew. Standing up and taking her in his arms, he said, "we'll be just fine", soothingly in her ear. "And before you know it, there will be a regiment of grandchildren to occupy your time".
    Vladamir couldn't have uttered more appealing words at that moment, and he saw his wife's lips twist up like she'd just bit into a lemon, her eyes narrowing at her husband's face before a big toothed grin spread across her mouth.
    "A whole regiment", she asked, one eyebrow raising coyly, teasing her husband's words.
    "Well, maybe only half a regiment", Vladamir said, returning his wife's pun.
    She playfully took the rag he was holding and swatted him across the backside, telling him to get out of the way, she had dishes to finish.
    "Oh yeah, that's right", Vladamir said, suddenly becoming serious, turning to walk out of the kitchen, saying he needed to talk to Itna.
    "About what now", Tonluva asked, her smile disappearing when Vladamir's sudden serious attitude returned.
    "Well, he said, pausing in the doorway leading to the living room, "If we're going to have half a regiment of grandchildren. I need to get that boy headed in the right direction, and let him know his mother is waiting", he concluded, his smile returning and his pace quickening as Tonluva followed close behind, using the rag to smack his retreating rear end.

   
   
.
© Copyright 2008 cvaughnb (UN: cvaughnb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
cvaughnb has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596649-Heavens-Conspiracy-Child-of-Man-Chapter-seven