*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598300-Try-the-blog-againupdates-and-Politics
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1188034
Blog on writing; Poetry and short stories - comments, critiques et al.
#598300 added July 24, 2008 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
Try the blog again.........updates and Politics!
Thought I'd give this "blog" thing another shot.....
I haven't written anything in about a year and a half...(whewwww, time sure flies...lol).
No one was ever reading it, so just wasn't worth it....see if I can drum up some readers....

Since I last wrote, my wife and I decided to forgo the "RV" thing after retirement - a bit of an issue with the fuel prices today! We have since purchased a home in Bradenton, Florida....with the great deals on real estate in the market right now, it was pretty much a no brainer. Can't wait to sell the house here in Mass. when I retire (580 days, but hey, who's counting...lol) and move full time down south. Will probably return up north for part of the Summers to visit the kids and family.
Certainly won't miss the "crappy" weather....the unfriendly people....and, most of all now, the rising cost of heating oil! A friend just filled up his oil tank - 275 gallons to the tune of $4.59/gallon......yep, $1262.00......that's obscene!! Seems like an awful lot of people are going to have a problem paying for oil this winter in New England and other colder climates....
With the theromstat set very conservatively, we usually use at least a tank of oil per month......I'm certainly getting ready to bend over in front of the oil companies this winter......probably cost me at least $7,000.00 or $8,000.00 to heat my home this winter.....almost more than my mortgage......it's a crime!!

Although during the "Primaries" for the Presidential elections, I was glued to the TV...I've just about had it with this election crap! Bickering back and forth.....all rhetoric and neither of the candidates seem to have an viable solutions for the ecconomic mess we are in......

I do have a serious question for any readers out there.....(particularly "liberals").

I'm been a Republican since I first was able to vote....and although I agree that George Bush has certainly made a mess of things....I simply don't understand (and never have) why the Democratic party is known as representing the "working man/woman"?
Looking into the proposed Democratic platform (and Barak Obama in particular), is a desire to do what I would consider "screw" the working man/woman?
1. Firstly, Obama wants to raise the income tax. Does anyone feel that we are
not paying enough in income taxes? It's already at least 1/3 of what we make.
I would really like to hear any opinions as to why someone might feel we
should be paying more?

2. Secondly, Obama wants (with help of the Democratic crooks in Congress) brings
back the"Capital Gains Tax" on the sale of a primary residence. This again is
proposed to be around 30%....we just got rid of damn tax (one of the good things that
Bush did). I can understand taxing "investment" properties or even multiple
or Summer homes. Investment homes create "income" and it's logical to tax
it. People who have multiple homes, certainly can afford to pay a little more
in taxes.....however....how is taxing a primary residence/ "home", helping the
working man/woman.....the little guy? I don't get it.....can someone explain it to me?

3. Thirdly, Obama wants to bring back (increase) the inheritance tax... the result
of this tax when it was in effect was to (again) force the "working man"/ little
guy to have to sell family properties, etc...because they couldn't afford to pay
the taxes on them. Can someone tell me how this helps the "working man/woman"?
Again, obviously, people who have a ton of money or are inheriting huge sums
of money should be taxed higher......but Obama is not targeting the "rich" but
instead, the little guy.
I do know that Republicans have tended to support big business/corporations....the reasoning behind this was to give tax breaks and to give business a boost...create jobs.....and enhance the ecconomy.....
I'm not a ecconomics major, however, I don't totally agree with this....I think the idea is good to a idea, but that it goes too far. But I do believe that the tax system should support entrepanuers....start up businesses...without small business (of which, a huge percentage of Americans operate...plumbers...carpenters...small store owners..etc..etc...you know "Working People")
I don't totally agree with the Republicans, but I certainly think they are the lesser of two evils?
I absolutely agree with "helping" people out...but only the people who absolutely NEED it...those that are disabled...or for some other reason, can't work. The Democrats have always been the party that offers free handouts - the problem is they are offering money out of the taxpayers pocker - it's not THIER money, it's OURS!!
I believe that about 50% of the people on welfare (Oh, wait, I think the call it "entitlements" now) are frauds and cheats - lazy slobs that would rather sit on the couch, watch TV and drink beer/smoke cigarettes than WORK - yeah, maybe that means taking a job that pays minimum wage - that's what they should be forced to do!! I (nor any other taxpayer) owes them a damn thing!! And of course, the way they get raises is to have more babies and let the government take care of them.
How is this helping the working man/woman? Can anyone tell me? It's all coming out my/your pockets. And it's the Democrats speerheading the "charge".

I believe people should have to do things for themselves - like maybe, make a living and support themselves and their families! Too many of these people are "green" with jealousy over other people who have "made it". The problem is that they don't want to have to WORK for it. And when the government gives them handouts - does not force them to take responsibility for themselves - it only perpetuates the problems and creates new generations that are dependent on the government. How does this help anyone?
And it has absolutely nothing to do with "race" or "ethnicity" or anything else other than laziness or a belief in "entitlements".

Soooooooo, all you bleeding heart liberals out there - please explain to me how the Democrats are for "us", the working folks of this country"
I simply don't get it.

I've also heard that the Democrats define "rich" as "...a married couple making more than $75,000.00 per year..." I don't know if they are stuck in a time warp from the 1920's...but the last time I looked, that WASN'T rich??
How about starting with the REAL rich......maybe someone making, oh say, maybe over $400,000.00 or $500,000.00 per year.......and today, even that amount might be considered the upper limits of the "middle class".
How about taxing "millionaires"...and closing some of the "loopholes" in the tax code....you won't find the "rich" legislators voting for anything like that!!

Well, enough spouting off for now.....I'm down off my soapbox........

I'd really like to hear from some of you liberals to (as Rickey Ricardo of "Lucy" show used to say) "splain" this to me......lol.

TTFN (Ta Ta for Now).

Rick

© Copyright 2008 Richard Vance (UN: rickv1955 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard Vance has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598300-Try-the-blog-againupdates-and-Politics