*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599165
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #1456017
First Place Winner in Earlybird's Author's Spotlight for July-August round (Season 3)
#599165 added August 2, 2008 at 7:19am
Restrictions: None
D2T2: Getting Acquainted and meeting people on AS
Authors Spotlight is an amazing place to meet established and aspiring authors from all the parts of the world; there are moderators, preferred authors and the black cases, all writing to the same prompts. This is what I loved about this competition. Hats off to earlybird for creating this format!

As per the prompt, we are supposed to get acquainted with the AS, meet with and interact with at least six people - 2 each from each of the three rounds of the competition, and generally spread the sunshine that emanates from this forum/competition.

I sent out mailers to about eight people, and at the time of writing this, two have responded. I am reviewing some of their items too, and getting to know them is the real dividend of this competition! Winning will just be the icing on the cake, but that don't matter much ... considering that I am a diabetic and not allowed to eat cake either!

The persons who responded to my questions were Maretta , 🌷 Carol St.Ann 🌷 , Brit-Girl and Soccie .

**************


Maretta was a participant in Round 2 of the AS. I put the following three questions to her in an attempt to know her better:

1. Tell me something about yourself - location, job, and interests.
2. What are your plans about becoming a famous writer?
3. What has been your most satisfying experience on WDC?


This is her response: (I am paraphrasing this a bit as she has sent me a longish essay, which was, nonetheless, very enjoyable to read.)

Maretta is an all-out American with several decades of often fruitful, and sometimes, disagreeable life behind her. She is originally from New Jersey but lives in PA at present. She recalls writing since her third grade and says she has always been writing something or the other for most of her life. She prides in having been the editor of a "Little Theater" newsletter and having authored a corporate departmental newsletter for many years in the past.

She has borne five children, of whom one (Stephen) passed away a few years ago, a victim of "Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis". She remembers him as a brilliant artist and a wonderful son. Following Stephen, she has had four more children, all grown up now. The second is a daughter (unnamed), the third, Julie, a teacher, the fourth, Mark, a film/commercials/documentary maker, and the last, Andrews, an actor.

Widowed sometime in the past, Maretta enjoys reading and reviewing, which is why she enjoys being on Writing.com. Her own portfolio has a few items on Stephen (Steve she calls him), some on her friends and other family members, and a flash fiction item on Natasha, the nine-year old daughter of Mark, who is, for Maretta, the love of her life!

Her ambition is to be published. Her best experience on WDC was when two of her WDC friends remembered to write to her, recently, on the day of her son Steve' birthday and share the memories of his life with her.

************


Going on to my second friend Carol Marsella. She is my co-participant in the current round of AS. Discovering her has been a wonderful thing to happen to me on WDC and I thank AS for the same.

I sent her the following five questions, and she has sent me her replies so fast, I am overwhelmed by her co-operation in this regard. I reproduce her replies verbatim:

1. Tell me something about yourself - location, interests, what you are doing etc.

I am a not-so-typical American woman. Born and bred in New Jersey, where sarcasm is an art form. My interests consist first and foremost of my family, and then writing, singing, travel and my newest passion, photography.

2. What has been the most pleasant thing that has happened to you on WDC?

Good question! The most pleasant thing would have to be meeting up with other writers who understand my interest and passion for the craft as well as how, desperate I become to get it written once it is in my head. Being understood, realizing I am not alone, has enriched my life and my spirit on so many levels.

3. Which are the best two items in your port of which you are proud?

I am the most proud of Behind the Wall, the novel on which I am working, and A Fish Story. (I have read this latter story and found it marvellous.)

4. What ambitions do you nurture about writing in general and about being an author in
particular?


To learn. Every day. More and more.

5. How do you plan to celebrate if you are selected a winner on this month's spotlight?

I am going to give you my most sincere, honest answer here. I am not here to win. I am here to learn and to grow as a writer. I believe my only competitor is myself. If I can better today, what I wrote yesterday, I have already won.

(End of answers!)

************


Brit-Girl is a young, extremely energetic and sporty girl who is a Miss-do-it-all! She participated n the first round of AS. Her responses to my three questions will make my point clear. Please, dear reader, do not gawk at the responses or bite your nails! She really is something, isn't she?

Here is what she wrote: (Her answers follow my questions, which are listed as 1,2,3, etc.)

1. Tell me something about yourself - location, job, and interests.

I am a small British gal who is so diverse in interests I could write a novel and not cover all of them. (In fact I plan on writing a novel on them Smile) I enjoy writing everything from novels & flash fiction to form and free verse poetry. I like rock, reggae, heavy metal, classical, rap, hip-hop, pop, oldies, alternative, indie, folk, country, and pretty much any other type of music out there. I play soccer, tennis, golf, basketball, and baseball. I run track & field and cross country, I swim and bike ride, and participate in bicycle races and competitions. I draw and sketch portraits, landscapes, and fashion designs; and am an avid fashionista. I act, sing, and play the bagpipes. I also write lyrics and have very high marks in school.

2. What are your plans about becoming a famous writer?

I really would like to be published someday, but until then I plan on improving my craft as much as possible. Being a famous writer would be really incredible, however I have a long way to go master the art of poetry.

3. What has been your most satisfying experience on WDC?

Oh, it would have to be my first review and/or ribbon. I love WDC!

(end of answers)

************


My friend Soccie is happy to receive questions from many of my co-competitors, and I happen to be the third to send her a list! She remembers with pride the day when a bunch of WDC members actually got together to send her a bouquet of cards etc. on her birthday, and thinks that was one of the most pleasant things to have happened to her on WDC ... but rues the comical fact that most of those who wished her that day happened to think that she was a he. You know how that happens ... after all, her username was a dead male-stereotype, wasn't it? *Laugh*

I sent her the same three questions I have sent those friends who took part in the earlier rounds of AS. She took part in the first round, and recalls it as one of the finest experiences she has had in WDC.

In response to my other questions, she says she is an "Ohian" (is that right for people from Ohio?). She is passionate about music and plays the flute and the piccolo. She is yet to complete college, but has tried to do summer jobs (having applied for 14 this year) -- and failed so far, to get one. She plans on majoring in English and has aims to be a published author, adding that "that is the way she hopes all that English will pay off!"

I really enjoyed the tenor of those answers and have promised to "pay her backl" with some quality reviews after the hullabaloo of the AS has cooled off.

************


I have also reviewed croaton and Jeanne Riggs Workman , both from the current round of the AS.

************


I have sent emails to a few more members in an attempt to reach my target of six, but even if I cannot get those remaining replies, I feel that I have achieved what I set out to do ... to know people who have been or are participants on Authors Spotlight. I am trying to find time to at least review their items or to read some of their work and to send them a quick thank you note, but as I am in a different time-zone (GMT + 5:30), I will soon have to go to work ... so let us see how that pans out.

*****************************


Judge Earl's comment: D2T2 - You must have "time" favored on you in this task.
I hope you win friends and some humanely features of eachspotlighter you interviewed.
Earl



- ## Dr.Taher ##

© Copyright 2008 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599165