*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599327
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #1456017
First Place Winner in Earlybird's Author's Spotlight for July-August round (Season 3)
#599327 added August 2, 2008 at 7:13am
Restrictions: None
D3T2: Reviews
Here is the list of reviews I have done for completing this task:

1.
STATIC
A Fish Story  (E)
Steve tried to teach me to fish. Epistolic tale excerpted from my novel, Behind the Wall.
#1433571 by 🌷 Carol St.Ann 🌷


Dear Carol,

This has to be the best little comedy story that I have read on WDC in the entire month of July (and the previous six months of 2008 as well, I swear!). Your take on how husbands behave and how women/wives are expected to parry their ... ah ... thrusts ... is hilarious to the extreme. I am down with a slight cough and while reading the story, I was in splits and coughing so badly my head hurt and the saliva all drooled down the front of my ... er, forget the specifics. I loved the story. Eighteen fish, oh my God! What a way to wreck a romance ...

Congratulations for the first place in ..... whatever (Your story does not mention where it got the first place , LOL).

Thanks to Katherine for this image.

Done for the "AUTHORS' SPOTLIGHT - Season 6.

2.
 The Fishing Trip  (E)
A story of a father and son's first ocean fishing trip
#1296772 by croaton


Dear Larry,

Reminiscences of this kind can only be uplifting to the writer as well as the readers. You have done a hell of a good job in telling a story that could have got caught in the fishing jargon, but did not, owing to your simple and clear telling of it. Truth, they say, is always easier to say than fiction, and your story proves that in ample measure.

The ending of the story was remarkable, in that it demonstrated all so clearly that what goes around, comes around in equal measure. You just missed putting the last line in quotation marks, and that, and a few very minor errors took away from the perfect nature of this item. However, I congratulate you on creating a very knowledgeable story -- and making it entertaining as well.

Thanks to Katherine for this image.

P.S. I am doing this review as a part of a task for the ""AUTHORS SPOTLIGHT" ". Kindly acknowledge the review and oblige!


3.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1452224 by Not Available.


Dear Jeanne,

Hello! I am doing this review as a task for completing a contest called the "AUTHORS SPOTLIGHT" . Please bear with me as I go through your work and review it.

*Reading*

*Smile*

I think this is a wonderful poem on the vagrancies of Time as we see it from our standpoint. Your choice of an hourglass format for this poem was so apt and added allure and attraction to the poem.

You have so nicely related the way different people end up measuring time differently, depending on what they are doing and how interested/anxious/worried/happy they may be at that point in time. I still remember the incident from my own childhood: we used to look forward to the classes by the Maths teacher as he was so good, so kind and so considerate. With the science teacher, it was the other way round! Time passed so slowly once she began teaching, we would all twiddle our thumbs, waiting for the class bell to ring!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem with us.

Thanks to Katherine for this image.

P.S. This is a review done as a task for "AUTHORS' SPOTLIGHT - Season 6

4.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1454218 by Not Available.


Dear Stephen,

Indeed, in the book "On Walden Pond" Henry David Thoreaux summarises this aspect of hospitality very appropriately. He remembers that when guests visited him in his log cabin by Walden Pond, he, who was living a simple, Gandhian and frugal life, would never ask them to "stay and eat before leaving". He found the very idea of unnecessarily "entertaining" guests loathsome. You have hit the nail upon the head while writing about a hospitality that was true from the heart even though it lacked the trappings of modern etiquette.

Very good work! Keep writing!

-Thanks to Katherine for this image.

P.S. I am doing this review as a part of a task given to competitors in "AUTHORS SPOTLIGHT" . Thank you.


5.
 The Art of Caring  (E)
This is an essay that I wrote in honor of my mother, a teacher.
#1447297 by DreamWeaver84


Dear Ms. Valleen (can I address you that way? *Smile*),

This is such a heartfelt inspirational account of a mother through a grown-up child's eyes. When we are younger, we often misunderstand our parents' motives for not being there when we need them; little do we realise that we are missing them and they are working so as to make our futures better! I have known children who have not even looked at their mothers with love when she/they return home after an exhausting day's work. I really pity these children - for they are going to feel remorse later in their lives, as sure as the fact that the sun rises every day.

You have written a very good account of your mother, the teacher. But, I tell you, ALL mothers are special. They do so much for their own children. Every mother is a teacher and a mother rolled into one.

I appreciate your essay very much. I am just wiping my eyes, recalling my mom now.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thanks to Katherine for this image.

P.S. This is a review done as a task for "AUTHORS' SPOTLIGHT - Season 6.

6.
 River Cambs  (E)
Sitting on the banks of the River Cambs on a sunny sunday afternoon in Cambridge England.
#1271277 by firedog


Dear Firedog,

Hi. I am Taher, and am doing this review as a task for the 3rd round of ""AUTHORS' SPOTLIGHT - Season 6" .

Please bear with me. Although this is a short poem, I have to *Reading* it carefully as I am planning to give you a hopefully helpful review.

Okay. First out, congratulations on being a close observer of mundane-looking events. Everyone cannot see Santa Claus, but they can be shown one by others who are more perceiving than them. This is exactly what you have done. You have allowed others to see with YOUR eyes, using YOUR imagination and re-telling.

I have a few suggestions. I have taken the liberty of re-composing a few lines:

Line 2: Oh, how slowly do they row.
Line 6: Putting on a rhythmically pleasing show
Line 8: How wildly do they throw.
Line 10: Romances that will surely grow.

Aside of these minor suggestions, which you are free to ignore if you do not want them, I think the poem is really good.

Thanks to Katherine for this image.

End of Reviews

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Judge Earl's comment: D3T2 - You've got six honest, and meaning reviews. Ty for providing the links of the items reviewed.

- ## Dr.Taher ##

© Copyright 2008 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599327