*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600576-When-speaking-independently
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#600576 added August 6, 2008 at 3:08pm
Restrictions: None
When speaking independently
I received an email today to add a comment to an on-going discussion of the upcoming Paramount/DreamWorks release Tropic Thunder. Some people think Ben Stiller and pals should join the enlightened. I might question if living the entertainment model of life even allows clear thinking -- ever. The issue is over using an insensitive storytelling device -- giving advice to your on-screen acting buddy on not being the ultimate "retard." While there probably is a bigger discussion to be had over who is truly disinfranchised in society today, I found that in composing my comment that I have been out of the advocacy field long enough to actually sense a real voice that is my own. It may not be P.C. but it is how I feel, particularly when others are advocating censorship.

Here are the comments:
http://www.patriciaebauer.com/2008/08/04/readers-advice/#comment-1603

Perhaps we could consider taking our responsibility boot off the neck of the media. Or cramming one portion of society's ideas down the throat of another portion's. No one seems to have mentioned that Robert Downey Jr. is a Caucasian actor playing a Caucasian actor portraying a Black character. I don't think Paramount and DreamWorks are unaware of that element of the film. We allow immaturity by not being willing to be teachers in every moment -- not just when it is a cause others will back. We need to be just as willing to work with the media leaders and creative personnel to mature into sensitivity, after the fact. Trying to lump all 50 million disabled people and their supporters into an angry mob is as inauthentic as this movie is based on any reality. Everyone needs to be a lot more individually courageous. It is just as much EACH PERSON'S task to speak up. And we need to teach our children, no matter what capabilities, to act and speak for themselves. Individuals are going to be ignorant of the way in which you prefer language be used around you or your loved ones every day. Better we teach by example.

© Copyright 2008 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600576-When-speaking-independently