*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/603503-All-the-news-fit-to-print
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#603503 added August 24, 2008 at 12:53pm
Restrictions: None
All the news fit to print
Q: What increased cost is taking the biggest bite out of your budget these days?
A: Housing

Q: Please explain.
A: I am in a fortunate situation, living in a relative's home. I pay rent and have voluntarily increased the amount every 6mos to "face reality." I know what I pay is still hundreds below what others pay. Yet, the monthly amount I'm paying is nearly 60% of the famuly's (my one-income) net monthly income. If housing prices hadn't gotten so ridiculously inflated by "investor's flipping market" and the credit business in the past 4 years, I think rents would be manageable still. And rents like this coupled with utilities -- it's a tipping point.

Q: In what other areas are you feeling the pinch -- especially areas that aren't being discussed in the media?
A: School lunch programs. My high-school aged child received it free last year, but my elementary school aged child only at "reduced." It wasn't an expense I expected. And I think the cost of food to the school districts will require that many more families this year are not going to always qualify.

Q: Have you lived through a period of rising inflation before? If so, when... and how did you cope with it?
A: Early Nineties and the Late Seventies, sure. I remember a hit to my income after the Northridge earthquake; lost my job. But that was probably more dramatic than the actual impact, or my memory of any inflationary impact from the 90's. I remember more as a kid in the Seventies with gas lines and my parents' frugal spending.

Q: What else should we know about the effects of inflation?
A: Much can be said for supporting Goodwill and other thrift stores during this time -- no sales tax on purchases, for one. And such non-profit agencies that receive support from those sales are helping to cover when people feel unable to give outright. I've grown up on second-hand, and so are my children.

© Copyright 2008 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/603503-All-the-news-fit-to-print