*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604725-Heading-for-a-Strange-New-World
by JudyB
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1467972
My experiences of diagnosis/treatment of cancer
#604725 added August 31, 2008 at 5:45pm
Restrictions: None
Heading for a Strange New World
Bright and early, I awoke to the relief of the nurse taking out my IV. Seemingly within minutes, Bill and Jason arrived, as did Dr. Ann's husband and partner, Dr. John.

I had never felt comfortable talking to him, so I just quipped, "Well, two units of blood should have done me some good." "You'll be needing a whole lot more than that!" he shot back as he walked over to confer with my husband.

My ears took special note when I heard the word "oncologist" slip through his lips.It was only then that Dr. John finally turned to face me. "OK, so I'll order an ambulance and we'll get you down to the hospital in Marshfield."

Nearly a three hour trip from home, I strongly voiced my concern. "No way!" "You want more tests, fine, but I will get down there by car...with my husband. There is no way I'm going by ambulance."

In my mind's eye, I could just picture an ambulance rushing down the highway, followed by my worried husband in one car, and my son and his family in another car.

Holding my ground, I looked beyond the doctor and spoke to Bill. "I either ride with you or I'm not going, period!"

And so it was!

© Copyright 2008 JudyB (UN: judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JudyB has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604725-Heading-for-a-Strange-New-World